Passed November Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naabilly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I passed the Naplex with a very high score! The first time I took it I made a 70. I think it was due to nerves. I had a panic attack right before my exam. I also ran out of time. I definitely like the new version better than the old. The first time I used RX Prep and it was just too much to absorb. I also studied everyday all day 8-12 hours for six weeks. This time I needed a new approach (I made it through pharmacy school by cramming smh).

For the November Naplex:
- I studied 4-5 hours a day for three weeks and 12 hours a day on the weekend
- During that time I covered MULTIPLE topics. I spent at least two hours on calculations/biostats daily
- I wanted to spend more time answering questions versus reading because I needed to learn to quickly eliminate wrong answers and think about what the question was asking me.
- My RX Prep was expiring and I wasn't spending money for it again. I did all of the calculations in the testbank again twice before it expired. I also watched and did the test bank questions for biostats again and the topics I didn't perform in well on my prior exam (glaucoma, compounding, Hep B/C)
- I purchased a month of Board Vitals. I liked it because the questions made me think and it also showed me the subjects that I was weak in. I completed all 1400 questions in the three weeks. After, I went back in my RX Prep book and read the topics I didn't do well in.
- I did the SND calculation packet three times. RX PREP MATH IS TOO EASY in my opinion!
-Someone posted notes that I used. I read them twice. They are old bc new guidelines have come out but it was very helpful. It has the core of what you need to know... Ill post them below. (You must have prior knowledge.. I read RX Prep cover to cover my first exam, but information was getting jumbled bc it was a lot)

What I got on my exam:
-PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS!!! I got 3 cases!!!! Not my best subject...
- You must know biostats! How to interpret, calculate and extract data! RX Prep was sufficient in my opinion, but you must practice these!!!!!!!!
-Compounding. I literally guess on every single compounding question. RX Prep IS NOT ENOUGH! I relied on calculations and biostats to pass this portion of the exam
-You must know lab values!!! At least 25-30 questions had something to do with lab values. What causes this lab value or based on this lab value what does the patient have. I think this is chapter 15 in RX Prep book...
-Side Effects! - a must!
-ID (treatment and organisms), Asthma/COPD (treatment, regimens, counseling), Minimum HIV and Onc - know that basics! All HIV combos, SE of classes, chemo man, treatment of SEs caused by cancer, Diabetes, Toxicology/Antidotes
-Calculations! You must know EVERY FORMULA! Especially the random ones ! UNITS are a must!! Pay attention to what they want the answer in and rounding!
-I got three questions on diagnosis. What do you use or how do you determine something?
-Doses!!! This was tied into the calculations. The only way you could answer the question was if you knew the dose (Common ones in RX Prep-- APAP, Ibuprofen, Lovenox, Heparin, Alteplase... That's all I can think of) - Pay attention when taking your exam! Sometimes they give you a dose in the lab value chart and three questions later you get asked a question on that dose. Happened to me twice. Only reason I knew the dose was bc I wrote it down just in case. Anything where the dose is mg/kg/day.... know it!

This exam was VERY RANDOM! Many questions were "either you know it or you don't". About 50/50 when it comes to questions being attached to cases or not. Very hard to do process of elimination on some. Always look at allergies and contraindications!!! This can help you eliminate things. Look out for random facts about drugs!

You must go in the exam CONFIDENT. You got this! I took the entire 6 hours. Literally had 10 seconds to spare. I also double checked every single math problem bc I knew math would save me. I caught errors I made doing this (not changing units, not rounding appropriately). I am also a VERY slow test taker.

DONT FORGET TO EAT THE NIGHT BEFORE, MORNING OF AND ON YOUR TEN MINUTE BREAK!! AND PRAY!

We got this! If I can do it I know you all can! GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• NAPLEX REVIEW.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 762
Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
congrats naabilly.
did you do pre-naplex . I failed old version naplex, I got unexpected score of 48. now I am planning to retake on December doing my best on study but I still not confident because I believe that score enhancement could be for 10-20 points more.I know that test conditions are now different ,they don't keep asking the same topic you failed .please advice

Last edited:
Congratulations on passing! It's so exciting to hear successes with the new NAPLEX.

I have been studying for about 5-6 hours a day (minus weekends - I have a 2 year-old! :) ) since mid-August. I watched about 66 chapters of videos out of the 77 that RxPrep offers, and typed notes while watching them (referring to the book to fill in any holes in my notes). Following the videos, I completed all of their respective online questions and did fairly well on most of them (A few 70s% - 90s%). Once I finished the videos, I started reviewing the notes I typed for about 40 chapters (in-depth review). During all this time I have done biostats/calculations for about an hour a day - timing myself the last couple days to see how I fare on time. I am hoping this will be sufficient for the new NAPLEX. Any other recommendations/advice? I re-take my test next week.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations ... Question off topic, Do I need to print my ATT - email and bring to the appointment or just those 2 forms of id . Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats naabilly.
did you do pre-naplex . I failed old version naplex, I got unexpected score of 48. now I am planning to retake on December doing my best on study but I still not confident because I believe that score enhancement could be for 10-20 points more.I know that test conditions are now different ,they don't keep asking the same topic you failed .please advice

No. doing prenaplex is a waste of time in my opinion. You already know how the exam is set up so it's pointless to give them more money. What helped me was doing practice questions. I personally know I can read and read but not the best at applying what I read to answer a question. You have to know what your weak areas are and work to correct them

Congratulations on passing! It's so exciting to hear successes with the new NAPLEX.

I have been studying for about 5-6 hours a day (minus weekends - I have a 2 year-old! :) ) since mid-August. I watched about 66 chapters of videos out of the 77 that RxPrep offers, and typed notes while watching them (referring to the book to fill in any holes in my notes). Following the videos, I completed all of their respective online questions and did fairly well on most of them (A few 70s% - 90s%). Once I finished the videos, I started reviewing the notes I typed for about 40 chapters (in-depth review). During all this time I have done biostats/calculations for about an hour a day - timing myself the last couple days to see how I fare on time. I am hoping this will be sufficient for the new NAPLEX. Any other recommendations/advice? I re-take my test next week.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are well on your way to passing. Make sure you focus on things you have to memorize like formulas, dosing ect. Review the chapter in rx prep with the lab values and I would also do the snd 120 math packet if you haven't.

I just found out I passed the Naplex with a very high score! The first time I took it I made a 70. I think it was due to nerves. I had a panic attack right before my exam. I also ran out of time. I definitely like the new version better than the old. The first time I used RX Prep and it was just too much to absorb. I also studied everyday all day 8-12 hours for six weeks. This time I needed a new approach (I made it through pharmacy school by cramming smh).

For the November Naplex:
- During that time I covered MULTIPLE topics. I spent at least two hours on calculations/biostats daily
- I wanted to spend more time answering questions versus reading because I needed to learn to quickly eliminate wrong answers and think about what the question was asking me.
- My RX Prep was expiring and I wasn't spending money for it again. I did all of the calculations in the testbank again twice before it expired. I also watched and did the test bank questions for biostats again and the topics I didn't perform in well on my prior exam (glaucoma, compounding, Hep B/C)
- I purchased a month of Board Vitals. I liked it because the questions made me think and it also showed me the subjects that I was weak in. I completed all 1400 questions in the three weeks. After, I went back in my RX Prep book and read the topics I didn't do well in.
- I did the SND calculation packet three times. RX PREP MATH IS TOO EASY in my opinion!
-Someone posted notes that I used. I read them twice. They are old bc new guidelines have come out but it was very helpful. It has the core of what you need to know... Ill post them below. (You must have prior knowledge.. I read RX Prep cover to cover my first exam, but information was getting jumbled bc it was a lot)

What I got on my exam:
-PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS, PANCREATITIS!!! I got 3 cases!!!! Not my best subject...
- You must know biostats! How to interpret, calculate and extract data! RX Prep was sufficient in my opinion, but you must practice these!!!!!!!!
-Compounding. I literally guess on every single compounding question. RX Prep IS NOT ENOUGH! I relied on calculations and biostats to pass this portion of the exam
-You must know lab values!!! At least 25-30 questions had something to do with lab values. What causes this lab value or based on this lab value what does the patient have. I think this is chapter 15 in RX Prep book...
-Side Effects! - a must!
-ID (treatment and organisms), Asthma/COPD (treatment, regimens, counseling), Minimum HIV and Onc - know that basics! All HIV combos, SE of classes, chemo man, treatment of SEs caused by cancer, Diabetes, Toxicology/Antidotes
-Calculations! You must know EVERY FORMULA! Especially the random ones ! UNITS are a must!! Pay attention to what they want the answer in and rounding!
-I got three questions on diagnosis. What do you use or how do you determine something?
-Doses!!! This was tied into the calculations. The only way you could answer the question was if you knew the dose (Common ones in RX Prep-- APAP, Ibuprofen, Lovenox, Heparin, Alteplase... That's all I can think of) - Pay attention when taking your exam! Sometimes they give you a dose in the lab value chart and three questions later you get asked a question on that dose. Happened to me twice. Only reason I knew the dose was bc I wrote it down just in case. Anything where the dose is mg/kg/day.... know it!

This exam was VERY RANDOM! Many questions were "either you know it or you don't". About 50/50 when it comes to questions being attached to cases or not. Very hard to do process of elimination on some. Always look at allergies and contraindications!!! This can help you eliminate things. Look out for random facts about drugs!

You must go in the exam CONFIDENT. You got this! I took the entire 6 hours. Literally had 10 seconds to spare. I also double checked every single math problem bc I knew math would save me. I caught errors I made doing this (not changing units, not rounding appropriately). I am also a VERY slow test taker.

DONT FORGET TO EAT THE NIGHT BEFORE, MORNING OF AND ON YOUR TEN MINUTE BREAK!! AND PRAY!

@naabilly congratulations on passing and thanks for this detailed information and best of luck to everyone who will be doing the new format of Naplex

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

Thank you for posting the Naplex review! I will be taking the new naplex in 6 days (11/17) super nervous, but more confident this time around :) Good luck to everyone!

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

Congratulations! Thank you for the advice!

Congrats naabilly!!
I was wondering about how many dosing question were there? It's impossible to memorize the doses

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

Members don't see this ad :)

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

Congrats naabilly!!
I was wondering about how many dosing question were there? It's impossible to memorize the doses

Congrats naabilly!!
I just took the exam 2 days ago. As far as I can remember, you have to know the anticoagulation doses. There were about 10-15 doses for anticoagulation and about 5 other random dosing questions.

I just took the exam 2 days ago. As far as I can remember, you have to know the anticoagulation doses. There were about 10-15 doses for anticoagulation and about 5 other random dosing questions.

WOW!! that many dosing questions?? Kind of sucks...Hope I get the anticoagulation dosing right...lol

I don't think biostats in RX prep is enough for the Naplex especially the interpreting part. Also, you literally guessed on every single question for the compounding part. Do you have any suggestion on how to do better in compounding? I thought compounding was gonna be little easier, but now hearing this..lol...I am kind of afraid....I know my biostats calculation and all, but interpreting part is little raw. lol. Do you have any suggestion for that too?

Pancreatitis......hmmmm......nothing coming to my head...hope it's drug SE question....lol....

Congratulation on passing!!

You must know anticoagulation doses. Other doses like Acetaminophen for children, etc. They mentioned the doses you need to remember in the Rxprep videos.

I don't have access to videos. Is there a particular chapter??
I bought video to study naplex the first time. They mentioned that you must know doses for anticoags, acetaminophen/IBU for children, drugs that have different doses for different MOAs/indications like dopamine, rifaximin, common drugs dosing, etc. It depends on which questions you get, each time is different. You also must know dose conversion. The Rxprep antibiotics chapters are very good, and I would know them very well.

Last edited:
I don't think biostats in RX prep is enough for the Naplex especially the interpreting part. Also, you literally guessed on every single question for the compounding part. Do you have any suggestion on how to do better in compounding? I thought compounding was gonna be little easier, but now hearing this..lol...I am kind of afraid....I know my biostats calculation and all, but interpreting part is little raw. lol. Do you have any suggestion for that too?

Pancreatitis......hmmmm......nothing coming to my head...hope it's drug SE question....lol....

Congratulation on passing!!

Rx prep added another biostats video and there were about 75 biostats questions on board vitals that I used to practice so for me that was very sufficient. I was able to answer every question on the exam no problem. Compounding I have no clue. It was so random. Random ingredients I've never heard of.... you would literally have to memorize all those charts in rx prep. So I focuses on other things I knew the exam would ask for the 33%. Calculations and biostats. I relied on getting 100% correct. That's was just the way I approached it bc I'm horrible at compounding.

I also got compounding questions that I have no clue. The APhA book has a good chapter on Compounding, I wish I had studied more on this chapter, so if any of you learn compounding, try APhA. Where are the 75 biostats questions on board vitals?

i took the naplex last month before the change and i got a 74...so i am really having a hard time getting motivated. please if there is any insight on the new exam i would really appreciate it...

I'm going to take my NAPLEX in two weeks after failing the first time, I'm nervous because I really don't want to go through this again. Any last minute tips from people who went through the same thing? Also, from posts previously read, the exam is similar to what it was before November just longer, AKA the questions are still really random. Does that mean the whole adaptive style exam did not go in effect?

For the November Naplex:

What I got on my exam:
-Side Effects! - a must!

congrats, naabilly. Please, is it important to go over each chapter in the rxprep book? Is there an effective way to go about it? I started reading each chapter, and I feel like it is a waste of time.

Pancreatitis? Really? We spent about 15 minutes on that in school and I don't even remember running into it in my RxPrep book. Does anyone remember what chapter?

Pancreatitis? Really? We spent about 15 minutes on that in school and I don't even remember running into it in my RxPrep book. Does anyone remember what chapter?
i don't think its covered in rx prep. i was struggling trying to remember what i learned/read about it while on rotations almost a year ago.

congrats, naabilly. Please, is it important to go over each chapter in the rxprep book? Is there an effective way to go about it? I started reading each chapter, and I feel like it is a waste of time.
Yes. Review every chapter, use supplemental notes with important details and do practice questions to see if what you've retained. Thats what i did.

Congratulations on passing! Looks like all the hard work has paid off. I will be taking the NAPLEX in January. I currently have the RXPREP 2016 book and wanted to know would the Rxprep testbank OR the Board Vitals test bank be better for practicing speed/endurance, math questions, and stimulate the new NAPLEX experience better? Rxprep testbank is $149 for 3 months and Board Vitals is $59 for 1 month.

Congratulations on passing! Looks like all the hard work has paid off. I will be taking the NAPLEX in January. I currently have the RXPREP 2016 book and wanted to know would the Rxprep testbank OR the Board Vitals test bank be better for practicing speed/endurance, math questions, and stimulate the new NAPLEX experience better? Rxprep testbank is $149 for 3 months and Board Vitals is $59 for 1 month.
Either would be fine. I preferred Board Vitals. Both have random questions and explains the answer if you get it wrong. Rx prep has a set exam whereas board vitals you can make your own exam. Choose what topics you want to be tested on, how many questions ect and they even had a timer. you can choose how much time you want for each test to pace yourself. If you go with board vitals try and look for a coupon online. i googled and found a 10 or 20% off coupon code so i only paid 47.99 for a one month subscription.

How was it? please share your experience. I'm taking it soon. Any advice would be much appreciated
naabilly was pretty much right about it all. make sure you bring food water and TYLENOL because staring a screen that long will give you a headache. the test is too too long i am not going to lie. like i had to sit in the parking lot for 15 mins so i could see straight and adjust my vision lol

some parts were easier and other parts were random. make sure you look over math WELL. it wasnt hard just need to make sure you are quick, i am a very slow test taker because i worry about everything! i haven't gotten my score back yet lol but i honestly feel like i dropped the ball. i made a 74 before so i studied, but not as hard as before and i think i way have hurt myself.

review biostats and compounding know the definitions, know the monitoring parameters (lab values) and know what drugs change them.

Reactions: 1 users