Passed NBDE Part 2 - breakdown (very long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dPseh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
**I do not have materials to sell, so please do not contact me for materials. I also am not going to share specific questions. Also remember that this is my personal experience. Exams and experiences will always vary!**

I can’t believe two years ago, I posted about my experience regarding Part I, but here I am again, Part II!

Quick intro about myself: US dental student, finished 3rd year and wanted to get Part II done before I started my 4th year. I was told by upperclassmen that this exam was “easier” than the first one, and some people said it was a cakewalk. Prior to starting my studies, I felt like I could relax a little, but another half of me WANTED to know everything since most of this stuff pertains to what we will do every day as dentists. So I took my studies seriously anyway (nothing like what I did for Part I – never again…!).

1. Time used for studying: 2.5 months studying passively through Decks. I compiled/organized my own notes from the Decks. A few weeks of slacking off, followed by 4 hardcore days of studying from my compiled notes. I think I studied for 12+ hours a day for those 4 days prior to my exam.

2. Materials used (in no particular order):

a. 2013-2014 Dental Decks (all sections except Pharm and Patient Management): like for Part I, these things are all over the place. I did not like how you would read through one card on one subject, and then 3 cards later, they would readdress the topic you reviewed a few cards ago. However, I DO think the Decks are enough to pass the exam. I did NOT use Pharm and PM and used other sources for these two topics, so I cannot evaluate these two sections. Decks are useful for the Case Booklet as well. Know that the Case Booklet is way easier than the actual exam.

b. Tuft’s Pharmacology Review 2005: You can find this online for free. Just do some searching through Google. I liked this review a lot, but I did NOT think this was enough…! I saw a few other postings that said they only studied from Tuft’s, and some of my upper classmates also said that Tuft’s was enough. I COMPLETELY DISAGREE. This DOES cover the very basics, but I do not think the very basics were enough for my exam. While taking my exam, I regretted not going over the Pharm Decks. I recommend studying thoroughly from either Mosby’s or Deck’s, and THEN using Tuft’s as a way to test your knowledge and to fill in any gaps you may have.

c. Mosby’s Review, latest version (only Pharm and PM): I tried supplementing Tuft’s Pharm with the Pharm section in Mosby’s (brief skimming only for drug names and classes, I did not focus on pharmacokinetics at all). I felt better after reviewing Mosby’s Pharm. I heard that PM was better studied for from Mosby’s than Decks. I thought the section was decent, but for some reason, not enough…! I was asked a few questions on the exam that I was not able to pick up from Mosby’s. So beware! If anything, skim over Deck’s section of PM. I’m aware that we are all just looking to just pass, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

d. Dental Boards Mastery App: Like for Part I, I purchased this app (available on Android and in the App Store) for around $50 through a promotion. Totally worth the money. The questions were not as reflective of the actual exam, but the app acts like a question bank. Most questions were pulled from old ASDA release papers. So just going through this app, you will have taken the old exams in a convenient way. Nice for explanations to answers, and to track your progress. I used this app for the questions only and got to the point where I reviewed nearly all the questions and had ~90% of them answered correctly. I think I had maybe 3 repeats from the app.

e. Released exams: I did ASDA released exams. One in full (including cases) and the second one, only cases were done.​

3. Day 1: as you all know, this day has 400 questions, all mixed from all the disciplines. 200 questions in the morning session, 30 minute lunch break, then 200 sessions in the afternoon. 15 minute break after every 100 questions, if you need it.

a. Like Part I, I only got about 3 hours of sleep, but was so pumped to get this **** done that I didn’t care. Walked in very nervous and still looking over Tuft’s since I felt that I still underprepared for Pharm, but I was slightly comforted by the fact that upper classmates said it was an easy exam. On the 2 erase boards they give you, I created three columns, “I know for sure, maybe, and do not know.” Unless I was at least 98% sure of an answer, all answers went to the “maybe” column. If I had absolutely zero clue, the “do not know” pile.

b. I took day one and felt like CRAP. I went home feeling like someone dropped a block of manure on my chest. Depressing! I knew for sure about 40% of the questions, a LOT of pharm questions where I was just like, “GOSH, I don’t know!” But by far, most of them were “maybe” answers. I finished after 4 hours. Even though I am a fast test taker, I do not think you need the entire time.

c. Breakdown by section:​

i. Endo: I was very comfortable with endo walking in. Very easy section for me. Basic diagnosis questions, very little regarding materials in endo (maybe had 1-2 questions). I can’t even remember if I had any question regarding the anatomy of teeth. Know how to manage trauma.

ii. Radiology: Not too many questions asked about radiology either… Know the basics, like kVP, mA, all that stuff, and how it can affect density/contrast. Nothing crazy like how to develop films, or little minute details like that.

iii. Pediatrics: Definitely know eruption sequences/age range of when teeth exfoliate/erupt. Even if you don’t get any of these questions on the boards, you need to know it later for your career anyway! Some things on pediatric patient management as well (concepts tie in with patient management). Know how to manage trauma (you need to know these anyway!).

iv. Ortho: Some ortho questions… know space maintainers and stuff like that. Not too many of these. Facial profiles, basic Ceph points, SNB/SNA/ANB angles and interpreting them.

v. OS: Know how to handle emergency patients! Other things like surgical/procedural stuff, I don’t think I got too many of these.

vi. Perio: Know about flaps/grafts (where grafts get their nutrients from, types of grafts, etc.), know things about bacteria/plaque/calculus etiology. Nothing about instruments or anything of that sort.

vii. Operative: Very few materials questions. I think I had maybe 3-4? I don’t even think I had many questions on inlays and onlays, and Decks seemed to focus on those a lot. Know prep basics for composite and amalgam preps. Some things on materials. Don’t bend over backwards for the materials though, I don’t think it was worth it because you won’t remember enough for the questions they ask you anyway.

viii. Pros: I got quite a few questions where I was unsure. Definitely know things about VDO (decreased or increased) and how they can affect a patient, things about how to work an articulator (during mounting, protrusive records, shifts, etc.), few basic things were asked about RPD’s as well.

ix. Oral path: Yes, sometimes they DO have clinical photos! Some clinical photos will pop up and you will need to make a best guess at the lesion. So it wouldn’t be a bad idea to Google image some of the diseases/disorders you are studying about. The Decks comes with a small pathology booklet, and that’s fine to look through as well. Nothing TOO crazy. Definitely no need to study the most obscure diseases/lesions.

x. Pharm: The WORST section ever. I was definitely underprepared for this section. Some easy questions that I brain-farted on and got wrong. They’ll have easy questions like, “What drug class is this drug? This drug is in this class, what function does it have?” No need to remember both trade and generic names. You will be given both on the exam. Definitely most of the questions I did not know came from this section. Do not take it lightly. Yes, you can’t know everything, but you do not want to feel how I felt whenever I encountered these questions. Had some questions on pharmacokinetics as well.

xi. Patient management: Know statistical information! I thought this wasn’t going to be tested on so I skimmed it. However, I went back to it later and am glad I did! I don’t think you need to know specific numbers, but know demographics for sure. Definitely know things regarding coding, dental insurance, and actual terms regarding patient management (like habituation, conditioning, etc.). Know the Code of Ethics and what they each mean and EXAMPLES of them (Veracity, Patient Autonomy, etc. In this scenario, this dentist blah blah, this is an an example of?).​

4. Day 2: 100 questions spread out over 7-10 cases, with an optional 15 minute break after you finish half of your cases. I powered through the entire thing without a break, because whatever.

a. Second day was MUCH easier than the first day. I actually felt like I knew what the heck I was doing. I knew at least 55% of the questions, and ANY sort of doubt went into the “maybe” column.​

i. REMEMBER TO REFER BACK TO PATIENT’S MEDICAL HISTORY WHEN ANSWERING SOME QUESTIONS! I KNOW I missed a very easy Pharm question because I did not remember aspects of the patient’s medical history. This can mean something like you saying you would prescribe Amoxicillin to a patient allergic to Penicillin, or saying yes to the patient using APAP when they have liver disease. But this can be applied to anything in their health history, SO BE AWARE!

ii. You will have a mixture of adult and pedo cases. I think I had 2-3 pedo cases, and the rest were adults.

iii. Radiographs will be pretty clear. You cannot expand them or zoom up on them, or alter contrast, so what you see is what you get. But even so, diagnosing won’t be a huge problem. Sometimes you get limited x-rays, sometimes you will get everything, including a pano.

iv. Clinical photos also provided, even if it’s not a “path” case. Sometimes you won’t even need to look at them.

v. THERE ARE TABS YOU CAN SORT THROUGH. I didn’t miss this, but I can see how some people might. In either radiographs or clinical photos, sometimes there is another tab at the top that will show you more radiographs or photos. (Like switching from FMX to pano.)​

b. Most of the questions for Day 2 were pretty fair. I think I had only 10 questions that I had no clue on. I think there were also a couple questions where I could have made an argument for two answers.

c. Basic treatment planning questions though. Things like, “The best treatment plan for this patient/tooth will be” and the answer would be pretty dang obvious.​

5. Summary: Day 2>>Day 1. Someone told me that if you get an easy Day 1, you’ll get a tougher Day 2, and vice versa. I think this was my case.

I am not sure if the test versions increased in difficulty since last year because I did NOT think this was an easy exam. I walked out of this exam thinking I failed (when I felt okay after Part I) and cried quite a bit to some loved ones. So please, do NOT take this exam lightly.

6. Results are now online! You can login with your DENTPIN number and check. Results took exactly 2 weeks to be posted. And heads up – results are posted randomly during the day. I checked at least 5x a day a week after my exam. I checked yesterday 5x before noon, and nothing. Around 2pm, I checked again and my results were posted. Yes, I PASSED!

a. I contacted a few other SDN users that took the exam within the past year who also felt like they failed, but they too, passed. That’s why I think the exam has increased in difficulty since last year.

b. Some comforting words: the fail rate for Part II in 2015 was 7.5%. So MOST people that take it will pass.

c. You won’t know your results until they come out! I was bummed for 2 weeks, but yesterday was a fantastic day for me. Easier said than done, but if you think you failed, hold onto a little sliver of hope that you passed, like me!​

Last words: I am SO glad this nightmare was over. Other than the licensing exam, I have finally finished the journey of ridiculous standardized exams. It was tiring to go to clinic, then library to study, and then find time to heal my mind, body, and soul for a good 2 months or so. But it’s okay, it’s done, and it’s over with. If I can do it, so can you!

I’ll be happy to answer any questions regarding my experience. But I will NOT share specific information or send study materials.

Good luck to anyone studying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Thank you so much for your post. It was really helpful as I prepared for my exam.

Personally, I preferred my day one to day two.

It seemed like I got a lot of pharmacology questions on both days. There were also a couple of repeats from the ASDA papers.

My results became available online in 20 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sorry i spammed your previous post! Lol so you're a dental student studying in the US. Well im a foreign trained dentist and im looking for people who are also foreign trained and they have successfully completed this entire process ...

**I do not have materials to sell, so please do not contact me for materials. I also am not going to share specific questions. Also remember that this is my personal experience. Exams and experiences will always vary!**

I can’t believe two years ago, I posted about my experience regarding Part I, but here I am again, Part II!

Quick intro about myself: US dental student, finished 3rd year and wanted to get Part II done before I started my 4th year. I was told by upperclassmen that this exam was “easier” than the first one, and some people said it was a cakewalk. Prior to starting my studies, I felt like I could relax a little, but another half of me WANTED to know everything since most of this stuff pertains to what we will do every day as dentists. So I took my studies seriously anyway (nothing like what I did for Part I – never again…!).

1. Time used for studying: 2.5 months studying passively through Decks. I compiled/organized my own notes from the Decks. A few weeks of slacking off, followed by 4 hardcore days of studying from my compiled notes. I think I studied for 12+ hours a day for those 4 days prior to my exam.

2. Materials used (in no particular order):

a. 2013-2014 Dental Decks (all sections except Pharm and Patient Management): like for Part I, these things are all over the place. I did not like how you would read through one card on one subject, and then 3 cards later, they would readdress the topic you reviewed a few cards ago. However, I DO think the Decks are enough to pass the exam. I did NOT use Pharm and PM and used other sources for these two topics, so I cannot evaluate these two sections. Decks are useful for the Case Booklet as well. Know that the Case Booklet is way easier than the actual exam.

b. Tuft’s Pharmacology Review 2005: You can find this online for free. Just do some searching through Google. I liked this review a lot, but I did NOT think this was enough…! I saw a few other postings that said they only studied from Tuft’s, and some of my upper classmates also said that Tuft’s was enough. I COMPLETELY DISAGREE. This DOES cover the very basics, but I do not think the very basics were enough for my exam. While taking my exam, I regretted not going over the Pharm Decks. I recommend studying thoroughly from either Mosby’s or Deck’s, and THEN using Tuft’s as a way to test your knowledge and to fill in any gaps you may have.

c. Mosby’s Review, latest version (only Pharm and PM): I tried supplementing Tuft’s Pharm with the Pharm section in Mosby’s (brief skimming only for drug names and classes, I did not focus on pharmacokinetics at all). I felt better after reviewing Mosby’s Pharm. I heard that PM was better studied for from Mosby’s than Decks. I thought the section was decent, but for some reason, not enough…! I was asked a few questions on the exam that I was not able to pick up from Mosby’s. So beware! If anything, skim over Deck’s section of PM. I’m aware that we are all just looking to just pass, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

d. Dental Boards Mastery App: Like for Part I, I purchased this app (available on Android and in the App Store) for around $50 through a promotion. Totally worth the money. The questions were not as reflective of the actual exam, but the app acts like a question bank. Most questions were pulled from old ASDA release papers. So just going through this app, you will have taken the old exams in a convenient way. Nice for explanations to answers, and to track your progress. I used this app for the questions only and got to the point where I reviewed nearly all the questions and had ~90% of them answered correctly. I think I had maybe 3 repeats from the app.

e. Released exams: I did ASDA released exams. One in full (including cases) and the second one, only cases were done.​

3. Day 1: as you all know, this day has 400 questions, all mixed from all the disciplines. 200 questions in the morning session, 30 minute lunch break, then 200 sessions in the afternoon. 15 minute break after every 100 questions, if you need it.

a. Like Part I, I only got about 3 hours of sleep, but was so pumped to get this **** done that I didn’t care. Walked in very nervous and still looking over Tuft’s since I felt that I still underprepared for Pharm, but I was slightly comforted by the fact that upper classmates said it was an easy exam. On the 2 erase boards they give you, I created three columns, “I know for sure, maybe, and do not know.” Unless I was at least 98% sure of an answer, all answers went to the “maybe” column. If I had absolutely zero clue, the “do not know” pile.

b. I took day one and felt like CRAP. I went home feeling like someone dropped a block of manure on my chest. Depressing! I knew for sure about 40% of the questions, a LOT of pharm questions where I was just like, “GOSH, I don’t know!” But by far, most of them were “maybe” answers. I finished after 4 hours. Even though I am a fast test taker, I do not think you need the entire time.

c. Breakdown by section:​

i. Endo: I was very comfortable with endo walking in. Very easy section for me. Basic diagnosis questions, very little regarding materials in endo (maybe had 1-2 questions). I can’t even remember if I had any question regarding the anatomy of teeth. Know how to manage trauma.

ii. Radiology: Not too many questions asked about radiology either… Know the basics, like kVP, mA, all that stuff, and how it can affect density/contrast. Nothing crazy like how to develop films, or little minute details like that.

iii. Pediatrics: Definitely know eruption sequences/age range of when teeth exfoliate/erupt. Even if you don’t get any of these questions on the boards, you need to know it later for your career anyway! Some things on pediatric patient management as well (concepts tie in with patient management). Know how to manage trauma (you need to know these anyway!).

iv. Ortho: Some ortho questions… know space maintainers and stuff like that. Not too many of these. Facial profiles, basic Ceph points, SNB/SNA/ANB angles and interpreting them.

v. OS: Know how to handle emergency patients! Other things like surgical/procedural stuff, I don’t think I got too many of these.

vi. Perio: Know about flaps/grafts (where grafts get their nutrients from, types of grafts, etc.), know things about bacteria/plaque/calculus etiology. Nothing about instruments or anything of that sort.

vii. Operative: Very few materials questions. I think I had maybe 3-4? I don’t even think I had many questions on inlays and onlays, and Decks seemed to focus on those a lot. Know prep basics for composite and amalgam preps. Some things on materials. Don’t bend over backwards for the materials though, I don’t think it was worth it because you won’t remember enough for the questions they ask you anyway.

viii. Pros: I got quite a few questions where I was unsure. Definitely know things about VDO (decreased or increased) and how they can affect a patient, things about how to work an articulator (during mounting, protrusive records, shifts, etc.), few basic things were asked about RPD’s as well.

ix. Oral path: Yes, sometimes they DO have clinical photos! Some clinical photos will pop up and you will need to make a best guess at the lesion. So it wouldn’t be a bad idea to Google image some of the diseases/disorders you are studying about. The Decks comes with a small pathology booklet, and that’s fine to look through as well. Nothing TOO crazy. Definitely no need to study the most obscure diseases/lesions.

x. Pharm: The WORST section ever. I was definitely underprepared for this section. Some easy questions that I brain-farted on and got wrong. They’ll have easy questions like, “What drug class is this drug? This drug is in this class, what function does it have?” No need to remember both trade and generic names. You will be given both on the exam. Definitely most of the questions I did not know came from this section. Do not take it lightly. Yes, you can’t know everything, but you do not want to feel how I felt whenever I encountered these questions. Had some questions on pharmacokinetics as well.

xi. Patient management: Know statistical information! I thought this wasn’t going to be tested on so I skimmed it. However, I went back to it later and am glad I did! I don’t think you need to know specific numbers, but know demographics for sure. Definitely know things regarding coding, dental insurance, and actual terms regarding patient management (like habituation, conditioning, etc.). Know the Code of Ethics and what they each mean and EXAMPLES of them (Veracity, Patient Autonomy, etc. In this scenario, this dentist blah blah, this is an an example of?).​

4. Day 2: 100 questions spread out over 7-10 cases, with an optional 15 minute break after you finish half of your cases. I powered through the entire thing without a break, because whatever.

a. Second day was MUCH easier than the first day. I actually felt like I knew what the heck I was doing. I knew at least 55% of the questions, and ANY sort of doubt went into the “maybe” column.​

i. REMEMBER TO REFER BACK TO PATIENT’S MEDICAL HISTORY WHEN ANSWERING SOME QUESTIONS! I KNOW I missed a very easy Pharm question because I did not remember aspects of the patient’s medical history. This can mean something like you saying you would prescribe Amoxicillin to a patient allergic to Penicillin, or saying yes to the patient using APAP when they have liver disease. But this can be applied to anything in their health history, SO BE AWARE!

ii. You will have a mixture of adult and pedo cases. I think I had 2-3 pedo cases, and the rest were adults.

iii. Radiographs will be pretty clear. You cannot expand them or zoom up on them, or alter contrast, so what you see is what you get. But even so, diagnosing won’t be a huge problem. Sometimes you get limited x-rays, sometimes you will get everything, including a pano.

iv. Clinical photos also provided, even if it’s not a “path” case. Sometimes you won’t even need to look at them.

v. THERE ARE TABS YOU CAN SORT THROUGH. I didn’t miss this, but I can see how some people might. In either radiographs or clinical photos, sometimes there is another tab at the top that will show you more radiographs or photos. (Like switching from FMX to pano.)​

b. Most of the questions for Day 2 were pretty fair. I think I had only 10 questions that I had no clue on. I think there were also a couple questions where I could have made an argument for two answers.

c. Basic treatment planning questions though. Things like, “The best treatment plan for this patient/tooth will be” and the answer would be pretty dang obvious.​

5. Summary: Day 2>>Day 1. Someone told me that if you get an easy Day 1, you’ll get a tougher Day 2, and vice versa. I think this was my case.

I am not sure if the test versions increased in difficulty since last year because I did NOT think this was an easy exam. I walked out of this exam thinking I failed (when I felt okay after Part I) and cried quite a bit to some loved ones. So please, do NOT take this exam lightly.

6. Results are now online! You can login with your DENTPIN number and check. Results took exactly 2 weeks to be posted. And heads up – results are posted randomly during the day. I checked at least 5x a day a week after my exam. I checked yesterday 5x before noon, and nothing. Around 2pm, I checked again and my results were posted. Yes, I PASSED!

a. I contacted a few other SDN users that took the exam within the past year who also felt like they failed, but they too, passed. That’s why I think the exam has increased in difficulty since last year.

b. Some comforting words: the fail rate for Part II in 2015 was 7.5%. So MOST people that take it will pass.

c. You won’t know your results until they come out! I was bummed for 2 weeks, but yesterday was a fantastic day for me. Easier said than done, but if you think you failed, hold onto a little sliver of hope that you passed, like me!​

Last words: I am SO glad this nightmare was over. Other than the licensing exam, I have finally finished the journey of ridiculous standardized exams. It was tiring to go to clinic, then library to study, and then find time to heal my mind, body, and soul for a good 2 months or so. But it’s okay, it’s done, and it’s over with. If I can do it, so can you!

I’ll be happy to answer any questions regarding my experience. But I will NOT share specific information or send study materials.

Good luck to anyone studying!

This was very helpful.

I am preparing for part 2. If anyone wants to study together and is in the same area let me know and we can coordinate it! I would be happy to share some of the material I have as well. send me a message!

ImI interested
This was very helpful.

I am preparing for part 2. If anyone wants to study together and is in the same area let me know and we can coordinate it! I would be happy to share some of the material I have as well. send me a message!