Partnerships in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ive noticed in rads and anesthesia that a doc works for a group for a few years and then becomes partner and their salary jumps way up, is the same type of system in use in em? are you paid 200k and then after a few years partnered in and then make greater than 200k or is 200k the salary that most em docs will stay at through their career, adjusting for inflation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Master of Diaster,
how you doing in PA? What rotation you on?

Members don't see this ad :)
MeaCulpa said:
Ive noticed in rads and anesthesia that a doc works for a group for a few years and then becomes partner and their salary jumps way up, is the same type of system in use in em? are you paid 200k and then after a few years partnered in and then make greater than 200k or is 200k the salary that most em docs will stay at through their career, adjusting for inflation?

We have both in EM. Some docs work for groups that have a partnership track so they go through the process you described. Others (including me) work for big, corporate groups without a partnership track.

Lots of us work for a friggin' bus company.

I was just looking at the 2004 salary survey from that kenall and whatever group. I'm not sure how accurate it is but at least in this survey there is not much difference in salary as you "mature" in EM. I would hope that the amount of shifts decrease though...

Some groups the shifts decrease, others vacation increases, still others they stay the same. Remember, the big thing with EM is that the overhead is extremely low, therefore unlike the cardiologists...we don't have a big fancy office plex with a gazillion med techs running around. Their take home is far less than their gross.
So to make 200k with very little overhead, it is actually quite nice.

Salary surveys are after expenses (i.e. after overhead costs) but before taxes. That being said, Cardiologists really do make a s-load...

MeaCulpa said:
Hi Master of Diaster,
how you doing in PA? What rotation you on?

I'm in surgery, and i love it. how are things in mass? i didn't know you were considering em.