Partner money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcde

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak about the type of money an Ophalmolgist can expect to make 3-4 years out once he/she is a partner. I am talking about non-academic. This seems to be an elusive figure but someone has to have an idea.

Members don't see this ad.

abcde said:
Can anyone speak about the type of money an Ophalmolgist can expect to make 3-4 years out once he/she is a partner. I am talking about non-academic. This seems to be an elusive figure but someone has to have an idea.

Average for general ophthalmology is $250,000 (figure from the Young Ophthalmologist 101 Session at the Academy Meeting 2004).

abcde said:

I'm answering this as an OD, but I feel that there are likely many similarities between the two fields in this regard.

The answer is "it depends"

The main factor is how much money YOU can bring into the office. If you're a jerk, then you probably won't make much money because people won't want to see you. If you are likeable, then you will most likely garner many referals and do much better.

The office that you are a "partner" in also has a lot to do with it. Some offices are very efficient, and others are less so. You can have two offices that both gross 3 million dollars, but one can net a million for the partners and the other can net $700000. Clearly, they're both not the same though at first glance they might appear to be. I've worked in offices where the billing people don't agressively pursue denied claims which really takes a chunk out of the bottom line.

My experience in these issues that there is an "average" but that it's not a bell shaped curve. There are EXTREME outliers on BOTH ends. You want to make sure that you are an extreme outlier on the correct end of that spectrum

Jenny

I am rotating in another specialty right now and the residents there have more definitive numbers. These are similar to numbers I saw here on their forum. I just find it interesting that ophtho is more wishy-washy about it.

They seperately quoted that they were starting at about 225 and could buy into partnership at two years and be escalated to 450. just interesting.