Participated in Research, acknowledged in Pub but no authorship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beantown D.O.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing up my ERAS and my own personal resume'. I've participated in lengthy research, did most of the sample collection, data collection, etc. However did not write the manuscript, therefore, not enough for authorship. The study ended being published in a peer-reviewed journal. The recognition I received is that my name is mentioned in the acknowledgement section.

What should I put in both my ERAS and personal resume'? Should I state the work I performed under the "Research" section?

Should I list the publication?

And is it worth mentioning that I was acknowledged in the publication? That may be assumed.

Is there a BIG difference between participating in research and performing intellectually enough to be acknowledged vs. participating in research without acknowledgment?

I'm no expert researcher, and I haven't published anything, so I do not know how to mention these things...or if it is necessary to mention at all. I do not want to be ridiculed by PDs for something that is thought to be trivial in academia. I just want them to know that there was effort in research performed.

I am about to wrap up ERAS. Please offer your opinions. Thank you.

Bean

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely describe your role in the research project in detail under "Research". However, unfortunately being mentioned under "Acknowledgments" isn't enough to warrant listing this publication under "Publications", as you aren't one of the study authors. I wouldn't even mention under "Research" that you were acknowledged on a publication--it doesn't mean much. In the labs I've worked in we've acknowledged people that we've borrowed reagents from--the reasons can be that trivial and it's totally PI-dependent. That sucks that you put a lot of work into this project and weren't given at least a low-rung spot on the authorship hierarchy. Unfortunately that's how it goes sometimes.

Wow.. I would have taken it up all the way to the dean... Give credit where credit is deserved. Even after submitting and getting the manuscript accepted, it would have been a matter of a phone call to add a name to the authorship. If you have done legit work that the manuscript would have not been produced without then it would have been soooooo easy to put your name in... it doesn't cost an arm nor a leg.

It's to late now though. sucks... Don't let someone get away with that again.

Wow.. I would have taken it up all the way to the dean... Give credit where credit is deserved. Even after submitting and getting the manuscript accepted, it would have been a matter of a phone call to add a name to the authorship. If you have done legit work that the manuscript would have not been produced without then it would have been soooooo easy to put your name in... it doesn't cost an arm nor a leg.

It's to late now though. sucks... Don't let someone get away with that again.

Yeah, I feel real ******ed!

The research was complete just prior to starting medical school. I got so wraped up with studies during my first 3 yrs, that i didn't think i could invest any time to writing up the study. Looking back, I think it would of only took 1-2 more months to put together a manuscript. Turns out that the study got published few years later. Having done all that work, I regret not spending a little bit more time on writing it up. I was naive then, but now I know better. Lesson learned.