Part-time work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinktv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How possible is it to work part-time as an ophthalmologist these days? Anyone know people with experience as a part-time worker or are one yourself? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How possible is it to work part-time as an ophthalmologist these days? Anyone know people with experience as a part-time worker or are one yourself? Thanks.

I know several ophthalmologists who work parttime. Our department has 4 pt general ophthalmologists.
I also know a resident who graduated ahead of me was joining a private office parttime (I think 3 days a week).

Dave

I know several ophthalmologists who work parttime. Our department has 4 pt general ophthalmologists.
Dave

Could you please tell me more about the arrangement? What kind of practice setting (academic/private?), opportunities to be involved in research etc.? I would like to practice part-time if possible after my training, but I'm not too sure whether I'll be happy just seeing patients.

Could you please tell me more about the arrangement? What kind of practice setting (academic/private?), opportunities to be involved in research etc.? I would like to practice part-time if possible after my training, but I'm not too sure whether I'll be happy just seeing patients.

I've known some who did both private and academic. It would be tough in private practice to do research if you're only doing part time. In the academic setting, the opportunity for research is there, but it seems that the people who are doing parttime are doing so because they want to spend more time with their families, and they've tended not to be tremendously interested in research. The ones in our department work 2 or 3 days a week, depending on how they wanted to set things up.

Dave