Part-time during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedout0982

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly/neurotic question, but I just suddenly thought of it. I graduated in May 2022 and am taking two gap years (applying this cycle to hopefully matriculate summer 2024). During this past gap year, I only had one part-time job. I was still lightly involved with some student orgs from undergrad, light volunteering, studying for my MCAT which I took in April, and pursuing some of my hobbies on the side. I recently got another part-time job so I'll be working two part-time jobs for this next year/my application year (along with still doing light volunteering and hobbies) Does it look like a red flag that I only had that one part-time job for the first gap year (i.e. my commitments officially weren't "full time 40 hours" but I was doing other things like MCAT studying etc which was taking up a lot of time)?

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a silly/neurotic question, but I just suddenly thought of it. I graduated in May 2022 and am taking two gap years (applying this cycle to hopefully matriculate summer 2024). During this past gap year, I only had one part-time job. I was still lightly involved with some student orgs from undergrad, light volunteering, studying for my MCAT which I took in April, and pursuing some of my hobbies on the side. I recently got another part-time job so I'll be working two part-time jobs for this next year/my application year (along with still doing light volunteering and hobbies) Does it look like a red flag that I only had that one part-time job for the first gap year (i.e. my commitments officially weren't "full time 40 hours" but I was doing other things like MCAT studying etc which was taking up a lot of time)?
No. If it works with your schedule and your goals, great. Honestly, most adcoms won't notice or care as long as you get a strong outcome.

We get a lot of people who worry about taking a part-time academic schedule just to study for the MCAT too.