Part One Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxydentist

Implant Queen
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I thought of arranging the forum a bit by making a thread for each section for NBDE part one.... so if any body got any questions or need help in or got new useful infromation wana share in Microbiology writes here......... :) hope that would make it easy for everybody planning to take part one soon .. (like me :oops: )

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys someone help in these qu.
what's the lyme disease???

Lyme disease or Lyme borreliosis is the most common tick-borne disease in the United States and Europe, and one of the fastest growing infectious diseases in the United States. It was first described in the United States in the town of Old Lyme, Connecticut in 1975, but has now been reported in most parts of the United States. Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial infection with a spirochete from the species complex Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, and is most often acquired from the bite of an infected Ixodes tick. Borrelia burgdorferi was first identified in 1982 by Willy Burgdorfer, a tick-borne disease expert at Rocky Mountain Labs in Hamilton, Montana. While Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto is the predominant cause in the U.S., Lyme disease in Europe is more often caused by Borrelia afzelii or Borrelia garinii.

The disease varies widely in its presentation, which may include a rash, flu-like symptoms, neurologic, arthritic and/or cardiac manifestations. Early detection and prompt antibiotic treatment usually result in an excellent prognosis, though some patients remain symptomatic.

Delayed or inadequate treatment may lead to a chronic illness that is disabling and difficult to treat. Amid great controversy over diagnosis, testing and treatment, two different standards of care for Lyme disease have emerged

Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium, frequently living on the skin or in the nose of a healthy person, that can cause illnesses ranging from minor skin infections (such as pimples, boils, and cellulitis) and abscesses, to life-threatening diseases such as pneumonia, meningitis, endocarditis, Toxic shock syndrome (TSS), and septicemia. Each year some 500,000 patients in American hospitals contract a staphylococcal infection. It is a spherical bacterium. It is abbreviated to S. aureus or sometimes referred to as Staph aureus in medical literature, and should not be confused with the somewhat similarly named streptococci which are also medically important.

22q11.2 deletion syndrome is a disorder caused by the deletion of a small piece of chromosome 22. The deletion occurs near the middle of the chromosome at a location designated q11.2. It has a birth incidence estimated at 1:4000.

The features of this syndrome vary widely, even among members of the same family, and affect many parts of the body. Characteristic signs and symptoms include heart defects that are often present from birth, an opening in the roof of the mouth (a cleft palate or other defect in the palate), learning disabilities, recurrent infections caused by problems with the immune system, and mild differences in facial features. Affected individuals may also have kidney abnormalities, low levels of calcium in the blood (which can result in seizures), significant feeding difficulties, autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, and an increased risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Because the signs and symptoms of 22q11.2 deletion syndrome are so varied, different groupings of features were once described as separate conditions. Doctors often refer to these as the CATCH 22 syndrome and includes velo-cardio-facial syndrome (also called Shprintzen's syndrome), DiGeorge syndrome, hearing loss with craniofacial syndromes and conotruncal anomaly face syndrome, thymic hypoplasia, cleft palate, psychiatric disorders, and hypocalcaemia.

In addition, some children with the 22q11.2 deletion were diagnosed with Opitz G/BBB syndrome and Cayler cardiofacial syndrome. Once the genetic basis for these disorders was identified, doctors determined that they were all part of a single syndrome with many possible signs and symptoms. To avoid confusion, this condition is usually called 22q11.2 deletion syndrome, a description based on its underlying genetic cause.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharyngeal or branchial pouches form on the endodermal side between the branchial arches, and pharyngeal grooves (or clefts) form from the lateral ectodermal surface of the neck region to separate the arches. The pouches line up with the clefts, and these thin segments become gills in fish.

Contents [hide]
1 First pouch
2 Second pouch
3 Third pouch
4 Fourth pouch
5 Fifth pouch
6 See also
7 External links

[edit] First pouch
This is the only pouch in which the endoderm and ectoderm remain close together, as the tympanic membrane. There is minimal mesoderm in the tympanic membrane.
The endoderm lines the future auditory tube, middle ear, mastoid antrum, and inner layer of the tympanic membrane.
The ectoderm lines the future external acoustic meatus and outer layer of the tympanic membrane.
Mesoderm remains as the middle portion of the tympanic membrane, where the endoderm of the first pharyngeal pouch and the ectoderm of the first pharyngeal cleft have met.

[edit] Second pouch
Contributes to the middle ear, tonsils, supplied by the glossopharyngeal nerve.

[edit] Third pouch
Derivatives include the inferior parathyroid glands and thymus

[edit] Fourth pouch
Derivatives include the superior parathyroid gland and parafollicular C-Cells of the thyroid gland.

[edit] Fifth pouch
Rudimentary structure, becomes part of the fourth pouch

Basic principles for DNA sequencing by Sanger procedure is derived from:

a. translation
b.transcription
c.replication
d. reverse transcription

Actually it depends on what is used as a template, DNA or RNA, if DNA is used its replication, and if RNA is used its transcription.
I googled for Sanger procedure and found that usually RNA is used, so the correct choice here would be transcription

Hope this helps,
Ct

1 >which virus is commonly find in kidney.salivary glands,endothelial cells but rarely causes disease in immunocomromised pt

herpes simplex
cmv
poliovirus
hpv
rotavirus

2>each of the following is antigen specific except one which one is exception
sIGA in human milk:thumbup: ???
tolerance of b cells to self ag
tolerance of t cells to self ag
lysis of bacteria by classical complement pathway
immunosuppressive drugs used in transplant recepients

CMV

1 >which virus is commonly find in kidney.salivary glands,endothelial cells but rarely causes disease in immunocomromised pt

herpes simplex
cmv
poliovirus
hpv
rotavirus

2>each of the following is antigen specific except one which one is exception
sIGA in human milk:thumbup: ???
tolerance of b cells to self ag
tolerance of t cells to self ag
immunosuppressive drugs used in transplant recepients

CMV

answrer is not cmv..
it is there in immunocomromised patients
i think answer is polio virus it is initially present n tonsils and payer patches

answer to 2 nd i think shd be sIgA ..
i think compiment pathway are specific
may be im wrong let me know the explanation if you have
thanks

Q what does compiment not bind to
IgA
IgM
IgG
endotoxin
immune complex:thumbup:

Q which detergent eliminates lipophilic and non lipophilic bugs?
benzalkonium chloride
idophor
isopropyl alchohol:thumbup:
let me know if im wrong!

Q what does compiment not bind to
IgA
IgM
IgG
endotoxin
immune complex

ans is Iga
complement fixes Igm ,IgG not IgA

What is an ideal Polio vacine?
1- Salk
2-Sabin

I know that in other part of the world use Sabin, but in USA is prohibited or banned.. so what to chooes?

accordin to me i think it is sabin ,because it is the one which induces the production of SIA from gut.

What is an ideal Polio vacine?
1- Salk
2-Sabin

I know that in other part of the world use Sabin, but in USA is prohibited or banned.. so what to chooes?

Members don't see this ad :)
u are right its sabin

what is most common tumor in young adults??
1. wilm's tumor,
2. osteosarcoma

immune complexes in type 3 are deposited where??
1. bm
2. capillaries
3. tissues

efferent and afferent vessels are seen where?? lymphnodes??

tcr resembles wat??
fc
fab

classic pathway, complement combines with immune complexes where???
fc
fab

what is most common tumor in young adults??
1. wilm's tumor,--it is present in children
2. osteosarcoma----ans

1. bm
2. capillaries---ans(not sure)
3. tissues

efferent and afferent vessels are seen where?? lymphnodes??----yes lymph nodes

tcr resembles wat??
fc
fab----ans
tcr are antigen specific receptors

classic pathway, complement combines with immune complexes where???
fc-----ans
fab

please correct me if i am wrong

1. bm
3. tissues

Hi, I think the above one should be bm. not capillaries.

1. bm
3. tissues

Hi, I think the above one should be bm. not capillaries.

yeah i agree with you shd be basement memebrares

hi dentist
am jus a beginer , could u jus help me out wid the course material how to get it and how to apply for the exam

Q which detergent eliminates lipophilic and non lipophilic bugs?
benzalkonium chloride
idophor
isopropyl alchohol

I think that is the answer, they asking for a detergent and Benz Chol, is a detergents of Quaternary ammonium compound.but I am not sure. Since Idophor are also used to KILL BUGS in beer making but it is not detergent.

I am not sure who posted a Q regarding the Mercury posioning causing peripheral demyleination it is true not lead. Lead work in the brain specialy on the Motor cortex thus you will have hand and foot drop.

ya it is walls of blood vessels
actually i thought bm as bone marrow:confused:
sorry about that

hi composite, thnks a lot.........
bm is basement membrane

the thing is i saw in kaplan n decks it is written immune complexes are formed in bloodvessels or cappillaries and deposited in tissues such as kidneys, joints, skin...........
so confused here.....can u pls clear it??
thnks alot for rest of answers
reni

hi reni
actually i also went thoroug kaplam again and checked at wikipedia. i think u are right In type 3 hypersensitivity, soluble immune complexes form in the blood and are deposited in various tissues
so ans should be tissue:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersensitivity
In type 3 hypersensitivity, soluble immune complexes (aggregations of antigens and IgG and IgM antibodies) form in the blood and are deposited in various tissues (typically the skin, kidney and joints) where they may trigger an immune response according to the classical pathway of complement activation (see above). The reaction takes hours to days to develop.

help with questions,
1.cyanide an apnea block the transport of solute
A.simple
b. facillitated
C.active