Part 1 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyelina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am pretty bummed right now as I have failed part 1 and I dont have many attempts left
I have only used KMK and no doubt my score went up with each attempt but just not enough to pass
Currently I am at 208 scaled score
i got 69% in anatomy and that is my weakest area
Please share your tips and what helped you most in anatomy
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

KMK isn't enough on its own unfortunately. It's only one resource. I passed part 1 with a 388 (not amazing, but well beyond 300) on my 1st try and I only used KMK to supplement my studying (not a the primary source). Here was my study method (studying for 6-9 hours a day):
  1. I started off by reading the entire KMK books (reading very slowly to ensure I was understanding)
  2. As I went along, I noted specific areas (eg blood vessels or drugs bad for sulfa allergies) that I did not have a good grasp on
  3. I focused my studying on those particular concepts using my class notes, watching the KMK videos for those topics, and studying flashcards
  4. I then began taking practice tests from any source I could find. After each test, I would review the answers (correct and incorrect) and began a document where I listed everything I still didn't have down.
  5. I scoured the internet for charts, pics, and mnemonics of everything complicated or that I still struggled to understand and added to the document
  6. I reviewed the entire document for 5-6 hours min every single day, along with flashcards and videos followed by practice tests and then adding/updating the documents (continuing to study even parts of the document I now understood)
  7. The night before, I reviewed the document in depth one final time
  8. The morning of, I glanced one final time at my notes (very briefly)
Additional Tips:
  • Topics Focus
    • You said anatomy was the area you needed the most but I would focus on more than just anatomy, but your weak areas in all sections
  • KMK Videos
    • Besides watching videos on areas you struggle in, I would only watch the booster course (it really helps you organize your knowledge)
  • Question/Practice Test Sources:
    • OD Questions was by far the best resource with questions closely matching what I saw on NBEO ODQuestions and reasonably priced
    • TestRun was a great source but very expensive (I probably won't use it again due to cost)
    • KMK practice tests were good, but didn't closely match what I saw on the test. I would mostly use these for assessing your knowledge and identifying areas/topics that need improvement
  • Flashcard Sources
    • Brainscape was by far the best flashcard source and very worth the price, it tracks your knowledge and (while you can make your own flashcards for free) paying allows you access to a vast amount of flashcards made by others for the NBEO
    • Cram was useful
    • Quizlet was okay, I didn't like the format but it was still a decent source
    • Studyblue not super worth it imo
  • Other preparations - Getting the Right Mindset
    • Get plenty of sleep
    • Eat a healthy brain-charging meal the night before and morning of
    • Remind yourself it is okay to fail and failing the test again won't be the end
      • I have test anxiety myself and the only way I'm ever able to perform well is if I make sure I know that failure will not doom us
      • Don't beat yourself up, build yourself up!
      • You've continued to improve with every retake, that is an accomplishment!
    • Get to the testing location early and listen to motivating music on the way there
      • Pick music that pumps you up (ONLY energizing music)
      • My mix: (May not work for you, but these songs get me in the zone)
        • Gonna Party Like - Peacemakers (Beau di Angelo Remix)
        • Halo - Prezioso, Harris & Ford, Shibui
        • Hit the Stage - Stepz
        • Legends Never Die - Against the Current
        • Rob a Bank - Confetti
        • Surface - Aero Chord
        • Unbreakable - H3ctic
        • Unstoppable - Sia

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!
I am pretty bummed right now as I have failed part 1 and I dont have many attempts left
I have only used KMK and no doubt my score went up with each attempt but just not enough to pass
Currently I am at 208 scaled score
i got 69% in anatomy and that is my weakest area
Please share your tips and what helped you most in anatomy
Thank you
Hi you can do it! I recommend using the KMK booster, listen to it repeatedly while doing laundry, exercising or cooking. And review the Booster book. Do all the KMK flash cards and precise practice questions 3 times total. You should also do 60 OptoPrep timed questions a day till the exam. I think this was the most helpful and helped with critical thinking. Try to get your Optoprep score to be around 75% and KMK practice tests on higher level ones around 80 %. If you can do that, you will definitely pass. Use the KMK big 8 book as well, review it and fill in any gaps. I failed 2 times and managed the pass the third time. You can do it! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
HI, how long did you guys allot to studying for Part 1/how long did it take to finish the entire studying plan you have outlined?

HI, how long did you guys allot to studying for Part 1/how long did it take to finish the entire studying plan you have outlined?
At least 4 hours a day for about 3 months