Parkinson’s disease and autonomic instability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I had two case (both happened to be long ortho cases) where the patients had severe Parkinson’s dz and they were extremely labile during the case. I figured it was autonomic dysfunction related to their Parkinson’s; anyone have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Recently I had two case (both happened to be long ortho cases) where the patients had severe Parkinson’s dz and they were extremely labile during the case. I figured it was autonomic dysfunction related to their Parkinson’s; anyone have any experience with this?

Yes. Very common with Parkinsons.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. It helps with they are taking their parkinsons meds the day of surgery and shortly after on the same timeline.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had a pump case a couple weeks ago where patient had Parkinson’s. Dude was all over the place. It’s a thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely knew it was possible and had read about it but I just never experienced it myself in practice. Interestingly and anecdotally, one case was a TIVA and the other used volatile; looking at the records the TIVA was definitely more stable than volatile.

Lots of Parkinson's patients suffer from Shy-Drager syndrome. Ever notice that patients with moderate to severe Parkinson's disease are rarely on antihypertensives. Even if they needed them earlier in life.

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of Parkinson's patients suffer from Shy-Drager syndrome. Ever notice that patients with moderate to severe Parkinson's disease are rarely on antihypertensives. Even if they needed them earlier in life.

Don't confuse Parkinsons with Shy Drager / Multiple System Atrophy. Not the same. Not interchangeable terms. You either have one or the other.

Reactions: 1 user