Parents don't want me to matriculate DO - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymmvdo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster here
🙂

A little about me: CA ORM, 3.7gpa, 501 MCAT, good EC/PS/LORs. Only applied DO, planned on reapplying MD + DO next cycle with an MCAT retake. I didn't plan on getting anything this cycle since I had a pretty low MCAT, but to my surprise I got 6 II so far. Recently heard back and got accepted to RVU.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I am thrilled to be shown any luck at all. I think its a great school given it's match/pass rate history. Unfortunately, my parents don't like the idea that it's for profit (think it's just a corrupt business)/isn't MD (not many DOs in CA)/doesn't have an undergrad campus attached like many MD schools. They said I'll regret not having tried to apply for MD, and that if I work harder now it'll be easier in the future for whatever specialty I want. I guess they think since I had such luck this cycle that I can replicate it for MD again.

I am very interested in IM/EM, but considering gen surg. Parents want me to keep my specialty options open with MD. Guess the stigma that DO is easier to get into vs MD/for lower stat applicants/not a real doctor (??) still exists. Unfortunately, they are financially supporting me, so I kinda have to hear them out.

They want me to retake my MCAT and see how much better I can do. I think even if I do significantly better it's dumb to turn down an acceptance. I did not study much at all for the MCAT (life/covid got in the way) so I probably can do better, but it's kinda hard for me to realistically put the effort in when I already have an offer. Even if I do better I don't think it's worth wasting another year or more just for a CHANCE at a "better" MD school. (CA ORM and low stats not a good combo; plus I believe my "story" aligns much better with osteopathic medicine)

At this point Im going to waste thousands of dollars reapplying and a year of my life retaking the MCAT and getting LORs again just to prove a point that I'll likely get rejected from MD schools. They said "you'll never know until you try." Fair.

Anyone else had a similar situation? I've tried hours explaining everything I know about osteopathic medicine to no avail. Any DO students who didn't match into their desired specialty have any input? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Take the DO acceptance and run with it, you wont get into MD as an ORM with those stats, and you can pretty much match into anything as a DO, sure you have to work hard but it wont be easy to say match neurosurgery as a MD either, plus IM/EM and general surgery are very much possible as a DO.. wasting a year wont do you any good, and who knows, next cycle you might not even get into a DO school since it gets more competitive each year to get into DO or MD school... The whole MD vs DO thing is overblown, there are plenty of DO's in California btw, just search the doctors that DO website, theres also 3 DO schools in California...

• Care
Reactions: 32 users
Next year if you reapply and they know that you were accepted and didn’t take the acceptance, they’ll probably hold that against you and you might not get accepted anywhere (DO or MD).

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, they are financially supporting me, so I kinda have to hear them out.
Looks like that's part of the big issue. They're paying for your full tuition and COL?

Reactions: 3 users
Next year if you reapply and they know that you were accepted and didn’t take the acceptance, they’ll probably hold that against you and you might not get accepted anywhere (DO or MD).
Will MD schools know if you turned down a DO acceptance?

Take the DO acceptance and run with it, you wont get into MD as an ORM with those stats, and you can pretty much match into anything as a DO, sure you have to work hard but it wont be easy to say match neurosurgery as a MD either, plus IM/EM and general surgery are very much possible as a DO.. wasting a year wont do you any good, and who knows, next cycle you might not even get into a DO school since it gets more competitive each year to get into DO or MD school... The whole MD vs DO thing is overblown, there are plenty of DO's in California btw, just search the doctors that DO website, theres also 3 DO schools in California...
I second this. An ugly bird in hand is better than any pretty birds out there. Many of us would love to be in your shoes to have an acceptance. I'm sure you know how competitive this cycle has been and it's only gonna get worst. Only you know bests in terms of giving up this seat for a "better MCAT" and the more prestigious "MD" initials.

As far as getting financial supports from your parents, have you heard of student loans? Not many of us are lucky like you but we can still go through medical school. Yes, we are in a lot of debts going out of school but it's still doable with the right financial plan and living on a student budget a few years in residency before going too crazy. Accept the seat, don't look back, and good luck with everything because NOBODY knows how the next cycle play will out.

Reactions: 19 users
I second this. An ugly bird in hand is better than any pretty birds out there. Many of us would love to be in your shoes to have an acceptance. I'm sure you know how competitive this cycle has been and it's only gonna get worst. Only you know bests in terms of giving up this seat for a "better MCAT" and the more prestigious "MD" initials.

As far as getting financial supports from your parents, have you heard of student loans? Not many of us are lucky like you but we can still go through medical school. Yes, we are in a lot of debts going out of school but it's still doable with the right financial plan and living on a student budget a few years in residency before going too crazy. Accept the seat, don't look back, and good luck with everything because NOBODY knows how the next cycle play will out.
Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with you and even if I had no financial support I would still take out loans and do everything I can do become a physician. I am simply considering all my options; if I can take this acceptance and get my parents on board without going into 300k debt then of course I'd try that first.

Reactions: 5 users
I wouldn't give up your acceptance. I'd also consider how conditional that financial support is. You're interested in certain specialties, but it sounds like your parents would like you in something more competitive. Are they going to hold the support over your head to get you to try to match into something more prestigious?

Reactions: 11 users
Medical school applications have gone up a ridiculous amount, with no sign of slowing down. Next year will be more competitive still. Not a gamble I would take.

Reactions: 8 users
I turned down two DO acceptances a few years ago, strengthened my application (e.g,. higher MCAT, Masters etc), reapplied and got accepted to an MD program this cycle. As I plan to specialize later on, strengthening my application to get into an MD program was 100% worth it. I do understand, however, that while it was worth it to me, it may not be worth it to someone else in a similar situation.

In contrast to your parents, my folks wanted me to take the DO acceptance and run with it, rather than delay medical school. I, however, have no regrets, and am very pleased with my decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will MD schools know if you turned down a DO acceptance?
I applied to >50 MD schools after turning down two DO acceptances and not a single MD school even mentioned osteopathic medicine or had any idea I had been accepted DO in the past. It never came up during interviews or at any other time, but I also didn't mention it on my AMCAS application either.

Reactions: 2 users
I turned down two DO acceptances a few years ago, strengthened my application (e.g,. higher MCAT, Masters etc), reapplied and got accepted to an MD program this cycle. As I plan to specialize later on, strengthening my application to get into an MD program was 100% worth it. I do understand, however, that while it was worth it to me, it may not be worth it to someone else in a similar situation.

In contrast to your parents, my folks wanted me to take the DO acceptance and run with it, rather than delay medical school. I, however, have no regrets, and am very pleased with my decision.
Thank you! I messaged you.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't give up your acceptance. I'd also consider how conditional that financial support is. You're interested in certain specialties, but it sounds like your parents would like you in something more competitive. Are they going to hold the support over your head to get you to try to match into something more prestigious?
Thats just plain ridiculous, you dont do ENT, gen surgery or derm or neurosurgery because its "competitive" or "prestigious" you do it because you have ****** passion for it and will be able to grind through the residency, if not your life will be utterly miserable I can guarantee that. OP you should make that clear to your parents the second you enter medical school(DO or MD).

Reactions: 14 users

idk man you really think it was worth a couple years of attending salary(regardless of specialty) for a slightly higher chance at matching into a more competitive specialty that you dont even know if you would like once you get into rotations? what if you ultimately decide to do family med or like the 90%+ of other specialties that it really makes no difference if you are a DO or MD? Also that path is a pretty big gamble, you gave up 2 acceptances and did a masters, what if you did not do so well in your masters or did not perform as well on the mcat? that would sink your MD chances and will likely make it even harder to gain another DO acceptance as a re-applicant, its a very very very risky road to take where things can go wrong, thus OP should take the acceptance(DO or MD) and run with it, dont wager your future if you dont have to...

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
DO schools will not know because they do not have access to such info.
nah, i am pretty sure AACOMAS asks if you have applied to medical school before and if you were accepted possibly, I would not lie on my app...

Reactions: 4 users
Can you show me where it asks that? I cannot find it anywhere on my application. Please do not spread misinformation.
nah, i am pretty sure AACOMAS asks if you have applied to medical school before and if you were accepted possibly, I would not lie on my app...
I think most secondaries ask this as well.

Can you show me where it asks that? I cannot find it anywhere on my application. Please do not spread misinformation.

It asks if you've previously attended/matriculated, not if you've been accepted but chose to decline.
I applied to med school like 3 years ago, but I do remember there being a question about this on both AACOMAS and AMCAS as well as on secondaries.

idk man you really think it was worth a couple years of attending salary(regardless of specialty) for a slightly higher chance at matching into a more competitive specialty that you dont even know if you would like once you get into rotations? what if you ultimately decide to do family med or like the 90%+ of other specialties that it really makes no difference if you are a DO or MD? Also that path is a pretty big gamble, you gave up 2 acceptances and did a masters, what if you did not do so well in your masters or did not perform as well on the mcat? that would sink your MD chances and will likely make it even harder to gain another DO acceptance as a re-applicant, its a very very very risky road to take where things can go wrong, thus OP should take the acceptance(DO or MD) and run with it, dont wager your future if you dont have to...
I am interested in multiple specialties, and while I do know that my interests could change, the higher chance of matching into more competitive specialties made it worth it to me. Sure, I took a risk, but at the same time, I have an excellent track record academically, and am confident in my ability to succeed. I ended up doing extremely well in the Masters and on the MCAT. I bet on myself and it worked out. I wouldn't change a thing. I applied MD only this cycle, so I was never a DO re-applicant.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
I applied to med school like 3 years ago, but I do remember there being a question about this on both AACOMAS and AMCAS as well as on secondaries.
I answered in the negative on AMCAS, as I hadn't been accepted to an MD program prior to this cycle. Everything worked out well. I begin allopathic medical school this summer :)

Thats just plain ridiculous, you dont do ENT, gen surgery or derm or neurosurgery because its "competitive" or "prestigious" you do it because you have ****** passion for it and will be able to grind through the residency, if not your life will be utterly miserable I can guarantee that. OP you should make that clear to your parents the second you enter medical school(DO or MD).

I agree, I'm just pointing out that this is something to consider with taking financial support. How much control can the other party or parties exert?

2nd this! I love SDN for what it offers but there's too much "boogeyman" behavior on here. OP needs to dig deep down and honestly assess whether or not they slacked off for the MCAT. Most people's retake is +/- 2 points but those people gave it 100% the first time around. I'm someone who didn't study the first time and had a tremendous improvement on my retake (both scores were >500).

The last thing we need is a doctor who wasn't 100% sure about their path. I have friends who wish they took a gap year or two to fix their MCAT and take a shot at MD. Even one friend who had 3 MD IIs (low MCAT) but didn't get off the waitlist anywhere and is now worried about matching his preferred specialty (not passionate about his backup specialty).

DO schools aren't going anywhere and ~3-4 are popping up in the next few years alone. Even if OP gets accepted only DO next cycle or no acceptances at all at least they'll know they tried and can reassess from there. One of my SMP classmates turned down a DO A and 3 years later got into MD. Was it worth it? Ask me in a couple of years but he's aiming for a competitive surgical specialty and he's top of his class now so I have no doubt he'll match. The key here is being honest with one's self and capabilities.
That last part, sure it’s worth it if all that goes right for you, and yes it will be easier to match a surgical sub as an MD, but ask your self, 3 years, an extra smp which costs $$$ all so that you might* have a slightly higher chance at a surgical sub(which btw you most definitely can still match as a DO as well, I assume your classmate is trying for a surgical sub as a DO? If he matches it will def be worth it for him then to have not taken an extra few years to try to go MD for the same end result...) and again the MD acceptance isn’t a guarantee even IF you crush the SMP and do better on the mcat, there have been others who have been absolutely burned turning down acceptances trying for better schools and doing smps...

Last edited:
I would advise against reapplying because you don't have a higher MCAT score in hand. Assumptions that you will do much better on a retake is unfounded.

My suggestion is to take that seat in medical school and advance toward the next stage of your academic career.

Reactions: 18 users
Its unfortunate that you didn't take an MD shot and see what came of it, but you have a bird in the hand. Are you concerned with the particular school? There are plenty of DO surgeons, IM docs, and EM docs.

You are in CA and have a 501 MCAT. I had trouble with a 32 (510 today) and a 514. You really can't underestimate how many good applicants there are. This is not to downplay your achievements but your competition, for MD, is people just like you who have a 512+ MCAT.

Take this A and run. Who knows what the application cycle is going to look like. Your parents will have to deal with you having less prestigious letters behind your name. You will still be a doctor.

Reactions: 16 users
Lot's of good comments. A couple thoughts.
Many MD schools will average MCATs. So a 514 takes you to a 507. Most residencies are in reach for DOs. Competitive residencies are well, in a word.......competetive. If you think you can attend an MD school, and graduate in the top 10% amongst some elite students, then going that route might make sense. My wife was an elite student, Summa Cum Everything, Phi Beta Kappa, editor of school newspaper,played in the orchestra, and barely graduated in the top 10% of her east coast university med school class. She would go to class to socialize and would constantly come home exclaiming how many scary smart people were in her class. If you think you can run with that pack, then neurosurg or Plastics might be in your reach. I'm basically saying MDs have trouble matching those residencies too. I have students in Derm, CT surgery, Anesthesia at top 10 programs, Rads at east coast universities, etc. Hard work can cover up many deficiencies, but can only go so far. A very strong MCAT might get you in, but that is on you. I understand there are underdog stories,, but they are the exception. The majority of MD classes are not filled with reapplicants, but people who applied when their app was competetive. If you don't get in, then you are a reapplicant and have to deal with that more difficult road and STILL end up applying DO. Personally, I get the parental pressure , but they need to realistic and understand the risks. I'd take the DO acceptance. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 24 users
There’s a lot of survivorship bias. Congratulations to everyone but this isn’t the case for most people. Please make a sound decision.

Reactions: 6 users
Long time lurker, first time poster here
🙂

A little about me: CA ORM, 3.7gpa, 501 MCAT, good EC/PS/LORs. Only applied DO, planned on reapplying MD + DO next cycle with an MCAT retake. I didn't plan on getting anything this cycle since I had a pretty low MCAT, but to my surprise I got 6 II so far. Recently heard back and got accepted to RVU.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I am thrilled to be shown any luck at all. I think its a great school given it's match/pass rate history. Unfortunately, my parents don't like the idea that it's for profit (think it's just a corrupt business)/isn't MD (not many DOs in CA)/doesn't have an undergrad campus attached like many MD schools. They said I'll regret not having tried to apply for MD, and that if I work harder now it'll be easier in the future for whatever specialty I want. I guess they think since I had such luck this cycle that I can replicate it for MD again.

I am very interested in IM/EM, but considering gen surg. Parents want me to keep my specialty options open with MD. Guess the stigma that DO is easier to get into vs MD/for lower stat applicants/not a real doctor (??) still exists. Unfortunately, they are financially supporting me, so I kinda have to hear them out.

They want me to retake my MCAT and see how much better I can do. I think even if I do significantly better it's dumb to turn down an acceptance. I did not study much at all for the MCAT (life/covid got in the way) so I probably can do better, but it's kinda hard for me to realistically put the effort in when I already have an offer. Even if I do better I don't think it's worth wasting another year or more just for a CHANCE at a "better" MD school. (CA ORM and low stats not a good combo; plus I believe my "story" aligns much better with osteopathic medicine)

At this point Im going to waste thousands of dollars reapplying and a year of my life retaking the MCAT and getting LORs again just to prove a point that I'll likely get rejected from MD schools. They said "you'll never know until you try." Fair.

Anyone else had a similar situation? I've tried hours explaining everything I know about osteopathic medicine to no avail. Any DO students who didn't match into their desired specialty have any input? Any advice is appreciated.
You're an adult now, and so you're old enough to vote, drink, drive, work, pay taxes, run for public office and fight and die for your country, Thus you're old enough to grow spine and tell your parents: "I love you, but I'm the one applying to medical school, not you, and I'll do this my way."

You can specialize as an DO (two of my grads are PGY 2 and 3 neurosurgery residents right now).

UCSF lacks a UG campus too.

I'm going to be blunt here: I did not study much at all for the MCAT (life/covid got in the way) so I probably can do better,
The people who run at the top of the pack like Angus mentions do not make life choices like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
That last part, sure it’s worth it if all that goes right for you, and yes it will be easier to match a surgical sub as an MD, but ask your self, 3 years, an extra smp which costs $$$ all so that you might* have a slightly higher chance at a surgical sub(which btw you most definitely can still match as a DO as well, I assume your classmate is trying for a surgical sub as a DO? If he matches it will def be worth it for him then to have not taken an extra few years to try to go MD for the same end result...) and again the MD acceptance isn’t a guarantee even IF you crush the SMP and do better on the mcat, there have been others who have been absolutely burned turning down acceptances trying for better schools and doing smps...

What are you interested in and how close to matching? I notice a trend in your posts about using strong terminology that DOs can do whatever they want (ex surgical subspecialty you MOST DEFINITELY can match as a DO). The fact DOs matching more competitive specialties is more nuanced than that. You must be top of the top AND require luck. For MD, you have a lot more leeway in order to match the same specialties. It’s not that DOs can’t match these specialties but rather MD makes it magnitudes easier.

Granted those I recommend trying for MD to make their life easier are more competitive score wise. With a 501, I can’t recommend giving up an acceptance for a chance at MD that’s honestly very low. Even if they scraped into the MD slot, 501 hints that they are unlikely to be a high performer that would be able to meet the cut off for those specialties. That would leave them with the specialties DOs match readily into. Thus officially waste 2-3 years of their life

Reactions: 7 users
What are you interested in and how close to matching? I notice a trend in your posts about using strong terminology that DOs can do whatever they want (ex surgical subspecialty you MOST DEFINITELY can match as a DO). The fact DOs matching more competitive specialties is more nuanced than that. You must be top of the top AND require luck. For MD, you have a lot more leeway in order to match the same specialties. It’s not that DOs can’t match these specialties but rather MD makes it magnitudes easier.

Granted those I recommend trying for MD to make their life easier are more competitive score wise. With a 501, I can’t recommend giving up an acceptance for a chance at MD that’s honestly very low. Even if they scraped into the MD slot, 501 hints that they are unlikely to be a high performer that would be able to meet the cut off for those specialties. That would leave them with the specialties DOs match readily into. Thus officially waste 2-3 years of their life
Of course never said it was easy to match those things as a DO and it will be more of an uphill battle compared to USMD and I made that very clear, can OP Match into something competitive as a DO, yes, will it require luck and will they have to be a stud? Absolutely.. but I agree with a 501 OP shouldn’t waste more time.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Overwhelmed by the support and all the people DMing me advice.

There's always a lot of what-ifs. Just being realistic, I know I wont graduate top of my class and match into a competitive specialty. Probably the most competitive that I'm interested in is GS. I am interviewing at a few other DO schools that are less controversial than RVU, but I will matriculate this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Thanks everyone for the responses. Overwhelmed by the support and all the people DMing me advice.

There's always a lot of what-ifs. Just being realistic, I know I wont graduate top of my class and match into a competitive specialty. Probably the most competitive that I'm interested in is GS. I am interviewing at a few other DO schools that are less controversial than RVU, but I will matriculate this year.
Smart choice.

Like a lot of parents have it in their head that their kid is meant for Neurosurgery at Harvard. Its sweet they believe it and everyone need ssomeone to think that about them.

Best of luck. You can really breathe easy now.

Reactions: 9 users

I'm glad that you've decided to take an acceptance. There's too much risk in turning it down.

Smart choice.

Like a lot of parents have it in their head that their kid is meant for Neurosurgery at Harvard. Its sweet they believe it and everyone need ssomeone to think that about them.

Best of luck. You can really breathe easy now.
Ahhh, parents. Doing their best of of love and ignorance to destroy their kids' medical careers!

RVU arguably has the best grouping of GS matches each year out of all DO schools.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
I know of a FEW secondaries that ask that. They have no way of knowing if OP didn't specifically apply to their school the previous cycle. Not saying he/she should lie. I know of a few DO schools that say you have a "clean slate" each cycle and will not hold it against you for turning down an acceptance

Hands down some of the worst advice I’ve seen in a while. There are never any clean slates in life. The schools worth a damn DO ask if you’ve applied and if you’ve EVER been accepted to an American medical school in their secondaries. It’s a simple question that DOES disqualify people. Why the f did you apply if you had no intention on following through? Either this person doesn’t recognize the weight of the decision their making or they’re wasting my time.

The idea that some people on this thread support taking a “few” years to reapply MD shows they don’t understand how the system works. Even if you get into a MD school what makes you think you’ll get into a name brand school. With boards being P/F that fact matters now.

Also what makes you think you’ll out compete your classmates that made it where you’re standing on their first try. Simply put, they’re academically better than you. You think your “passion for medicine” will compete with their maturity to do things correct the first time around. If you’re an academic rockstar you’ll get your competitive specialty at an old AOA program. If not? Your self confidence was overinflated anyways and you wouldn’t have gotten it at the MD school either.

• Love
Wouldn’t an ORM in CA need like a 515+ to stand a chance at MD? Your parents are ignorant/crazy.

Lots of things can make someone change their mind. An applicant learns more about a DO school throughout the process, COMLEX goes P/F, family issues, etc.

Ya I had just started school when they announced merging of residencies. I was all for it but my ortho, ent, and derm classmates were all quite upset, understandably so.

Ya I had just started school when they announced merging of residencies. I was all for it but my ortho, ent, and derm classmates were all quite upset, understandably so.
Thankfully for them most of the ortho, derm and ent former aoa programs actually made the merger and almost all of them still fill with mostly DO’s..

Thankfully for them most of the ortho, derm and ent former aoa programs actually made the merger and almost all of them still fill with mostly DO’s..

Ya that’s nice. We were just in a period of uncertainty. They announced it in a deans hour the day the news dropped. I think we were 3 months into ms1. Then the sky is falling happened on sdn about them taking most MDs which fueled the fire

Bird in hand >> theoretical birds that might be in the bush next year but are very hard to catch

• Love
Ya that’s nice. We were just in a period of uncertainty. They announced it in a deans hour the day the news dropped. I think we were 3 months into ms1. Then the sky is falling happened on sdn about them taking most MDs which fueled the fire
Hahah yea I remember back when it was announced many people thought that most of the aoa programs would close and leave DO’s with very little options in competitive specialties atleast

General surgery is still very open to DOs, and of course IM and EM match DOs. CA residents have to work uphill to gain ANY sort of acceptance as a pre-med.

Admissions are getting harder every year, MD and DO both. The time is now to get started on your medical education. RVU is one of the better medical schools when you read their match lists.

First year here at RVU; let me know if you have any questions. About the for profit status I’m almost 3/4 done with my first year and still don’t even know what it has to do with my education

Reactions: 6 users
I am set on going to RVU and after an in-depth look at their schools and pro's and cons, it looks like a great curriculum for its students in preparation for applying to residency and being a good doctor. My FOL has residents from RVU in the program that he is faculty over and he has told me they are some of the most well rounded physicians.

Do you want to be a physician? If so, you already have your answer.

• Love