Paramedic to RN bridge program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoadingMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow EMS providers,

The reason for this forum is in regards to finding out any information on paramedic to RN bridge programs and if anyone has completed one. I do first want to say that I understand this is not the traditional route people take to getting there RN license but unfortunately my situation is a bit complicated. I am 25 years old and I was able to complete all my prerequisites for nursing school in order to apply but I just found out my parents are moving out of the State of Georgia and that leads me to having to put my RN school on hold due to how rigorous the course is. I understand that it is possible to work while in RN school but it is not recommended. I can always work two days a week while in nursing school but that is not a sufficient amount of hours to be able to pay for bills.

In my current situation I am considering joining the fire department again while working a side job on the ambulance while attending paramedic school. I am not worried about paying for it seeing that I have scholarships that will pay for my program (hope scholarship). My question is I understand that taking the route of going to paramedic school and then bridging over to RN is going to take a bit longer but the way I see it, I will still be able to work full-time and be able to afford to live on my own. I currently hold an EMT license in the state of Georgia and my fire certifications unfortunately lapsed. Right now I am currently going to be starting paramedic school this spring and before then I am just looking for a job as a firefighter while keeping my current part time job on the ambulance.

My question regarding this post is if anyone has done a paramedic to RN bridge program and if they did how do you feel it helped in regards to you becoming a nurse? From what I been reading a lot of employers are a bit skeptical hiring people who were paramedics and bridged over due to the lack of schooling in nursing. My ultimate goal is to get my RN license and one day go to NP school but as of right now due to finances and me needing to move out, I will not be able to go 4-5 days a week for nursing school (no place to stay).

The reason for my short sob story is so anyone reading this can understand why I am choosing this route because I do understand this may not be the quickest route but at the same time it is a route that allows me to still work full time while being able to afford to live on my own. Thank you to anyone who reads this.

Members don't see this ad.

You are driving 5,000 miles off path. If you want to do RN, go to a cheap CC. Do not get your medic--> RN. There are way too many hoops to jump through. Also, minimum you are looking at for EMT-->P is probably 1 year at the least. You can still work FT as an EMT while attending CC for nursing. I did a BS in Biology working FT as a tech/medic. Not hard at all.

I'm confused. Why do you want to go to P school? Money? A job? For the transition?

Reactions: 1 users
You are driving 5,000 miles off path. If you want to do RN, go to a cheap CC. Do not get your medic--> RN. There are way too many hoops to jump through. Also, minimum you are looking at for EMT-->P is probably 1 year at the least. You can still work FT as an EMT while attending CC for nursing. I did a BS in Biology working FT as a tech/medic. Not hard at all.

I'm confused. Why do you want to go to P school? Money? A job? For the transition?

The only reason for me wanting to pursue the medic route is because it allows me to work multiple jobs while going to paramedic school which will then allow me to leave my parents age (I’m 25 years old).

Paramedic school is only one day a week and then after getting my paramedic I can do this bridge program that is a year and o my requires one day a week of attendance. This will allow me to work the complete tome while working on my ADN compared to doing the traditional route that requires me to go to school 5 days a week all day. I won’t be able to work since the nursing school is full time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason for me wanting to pursue the medic route is because it allows me to work multiple jobs while going to paramedic school which will then allow me to leave my parents age (I’m 25 years old).

Paramedic school is only one day a week and then after getting my paramedic I can do this bridge program that is a year and o my requires one day a week of attendance. This will allow me to work the complete tome while working on my ADN compared to doing the traditional route that requires me to go to school 5 days a week all day. I won’t be able to work since the nursing school is full time.
It may only be one day a week for the classroom portion, but be careful not to underestimate the thousand or so hours of ride alongs, field internship, and then orientation wherever you get hired on at (usually 2-3 more months).

Reactions: 1 user
Do the community college route man. I think that would be best.

I did EMT-Paramedic-ADN/RN-BSN-DNP/NP route. Go your own way. If becoming a paramedic first feels like something you need to do, then do it. I wouldn’t be the person or clinician I am today without all those experiences along the way.