Paramedic School Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matrixdutch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering how important for a Paramedic school to have CAAHEP accreditation? I would like to pursue a career in FDNY EMS, however sometimes life can throw a curveball, so I may have to go out of state to look for a paramedic job even though I'd like to stay in NY. So I was just contemplating whether if it was that important for a paramedic school to have CAAHEP accreditation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I was wondering how important for a Paramedic school to have CAAHEP accreditation? I would like to pursue a career in FDNY EMS, however sometimes life can throw a curveball, so I may have to go out of state to look for a paramedic job even though I'd like to stay in NY. So I was just contemplating whether if it was that important for a paramedic school to have CAAHEP accreditation.

TO be a paramedic with FDNY you have to go to their academy so I wouldnt waste me time going to an out of state school..

Yes, but one still has to be a certified paramedic to apply directly into their paramedic program unless one applies as an EMT from within

Also I'd take a look at the New York State requirements for paramedic in terms of reciprocity. I don't know much about how they look at medic, but for EMT they often won't give reciprocity so if you want to end up as a medic in NYC you might need to do a New York State paramedic program