Paramedic in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KD1655

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering how many med students/residents/attendings worked part time as medics during medical school. Is it reasonable to think that I could work a weekend shift or two a month while in school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I was just wondering how many med students/residents/attendings worked part time as medics during medical school. Is it reasonable to think that I could work a weekend shift or two a month while in school?

It depends entirely upon how you study, prefer to spend your free time, and the testing schedule of your school. I am on one extreme side, in that I spent 125-150hrs/month with my primary squad, plus working 48-60hrs/month with my other EMS/transport job during the first two years of medical school (then 75-100hrs/month, without the other job during MS3 and 4). Then again, I was a member of that squad since undergrad, and all of my friends were there (so that was a major social outlet for me). Also, we had someone on our squad in each class year since my school opened (and still do), so there was sometimes someone else I could go to for school help on the squad. As with everything else, you can make it work if you want, but most people will tell you to just focus on your school work, and forget about running calls.

It also depends on how busy the EMS group is. If it's slow and you can get studying done at work then it is more doable then if it's super busy. Also you should realize that you have only so many hours of "free time" in med school a week. I ski patrolled during med school but realized that it was using my free time. There is something to be said for having enough time on stuff that is not medically related (going to movies, hitting the gym etc.)

Also I would really recommend against planning to work much during third year. It sorta depends on the rotation but I had services where I would have 2 days off out of a month. Not sure that spending those two days running calls would have been the best for my mental health.

As to the residents/ attendings it seems very rare. For one thing it seems like there is a lot of disagreement and variety from state to state on what it means to be certified as a medic and an MD when you are out in the field, ie which cert "wins." Some argue that you are held to a higher standard while working as a medic because of your additional training. Some agencies don't want to deal with the extra liability. Also there is the fact that financially you make a lot more doing an extra shift in the hospital than being on the rig. Most of the doc I know who are still involved in EMS do so through being a medical director. Sometimes they go out and jump good calls. I think the basic stuff like doing refusals on fender bender neck pain after an MVC would be pretty boring as an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked weekends on the bus when clinical, at the company I worked at before school. The FD just wasn't workable, because I would get home late Friday night (driving from NYC to Buffalo), work all day Saturday, and drive back Sunday afternoon.

I did this for 2 years, as the schedule allowed, and even worked on the bus for a month after graduating, before residency!

Thank you for your responses; it is interesting to see everyone's opinions. I am currently enrolled in paramedic school while finishing my master's degree in engineering and before applying to medical school. I ultimately decided to go to medic school because I want to be involved in EMS as a physician and I though experience as a paramedic would be helpful; I am interested in doing more of the medical direction that actually going out and jumping jobs on the truck. As far as studying while working, I have worked a variety of 911 paid BLS jobs and understand the constraints, at one job we run ~2500 jobs a year and there was plenty of time to study and at the other job we ran ~115,000 911 jobs a year and I barely had time to breathe much less study. I should also mention that I am from NJ and we do ALS a bit differently here; there is no volunteer ALS and all paramedic units are hospital based so I wouldnt necessarily be looking to work on the paramedic truck for social reason. Again, that you for your responses.

Thank you for your responses; it is interesting to see everyone's opinions. I am currently enrolled in paramedic school while finishing my master's degree in engineering and before applying to medical school. I ultimately decided to go to medic school because I want to be involved in EMS as a physician and I though experience as a paramedic would be helpful; I am interested in doing more of the medical direction that actually going out and jumping jobs on the truck. As far as studying while working, I have worked a variety of 911 paid BLS jobs and understand the constraints, at one job we run ~2500 jobs a year and there was plenty of time to study and at the other job we ran ~115,000 911 jobs a year and I barely had time to breathe much less study. I should also mention that I am from NJ and we do ALS a bit differently here; there is no volunteer ALS and all paramedic units are hospital based so I wouldnt necessarily be looking to work on the paramedic truck for social reason. Again, that you for your responses.

A EMS Fellowship would take you alot further in trying to become a medical director that becoming a paramedic. You are going to become a medic to pretty much never actually practice as one. A shift of two a month doesn't make you a good medic. Another thing you cant count on getting into medical school in NJ just because your a medic there. If you go to another state you will have to obtain a cert in that state. And then find a job and get cleared. When I worked on the ground it took 3 months of full time ridding third man to get cleared... If your in med school I dont think that is going to be workable into your class schedule..

I ultimately decided to go to medic school because I want to be involved in EMS as a physician and I though experience as a paramedic would be helpful; I am interested in doing more of the medical direction that actually going out and jumping jobs on the truck.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean, the experience gained by directing the EMT-B?

I think becoming a paramedic was great for me because I realized quite quickly how bored I got and how EM wasn't for me. In that sense, being a paramedic is extremely helpful in helping you the individual decide what sort of physician you might want to be. In terms of how much it has applied to medical school, I'd say: not much if at all. I had a slight leg up reading EKGs: that's about it. The former PAs are the ones with a solid background

I would advise not being a paramedic during medical school unless you don't mind having no life other than work/school. I thinky ou may be underestimating the work load of medical school. Give yourself time to unwind, hang out with friends, etc. You don't want to spend your only weekend off after exams by working at job paying a crappy $13/hr or whatever

Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean, the experience gained by directing the EMT-B?

I think becoming a paramedic was great for me because I realized quite quickly how bored I got and how EM wasn't for me. In that sense, being a paramedic is extremely helpful in helping you the individual decide what sort of physician you might want to be. In terms of how much it has applied to medical school, I'd say: not much if at all. I had a slight leg up reading EKGs: that's about it. The former PAs are the ones with a solid background

I would advise not being a paramedic during medical school unless you don't mind having no life other than work/school. I thinky ou may be underestimating the work load of medical school. Give yourself time to unwind, hang out with friends, etc. You don't want to spend your only weekend off after exams by working at job paying a crappy $13/hr or whatever

Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

I think he is saying he wants to be a medical director when he grows up.

As far as studying while working, I have worked a variety of 911 paid BLS jobs and understand the constraints, at one job we run ~2500 jobs a year and there was plenty of time to study and at the other job we ran ~115,000 911 jobs a year and I barely had time to breathe much less study.

I don't know what to tell you. It'll be very dependent on what kind of squads are around the med school you end up at. At my old job, we had a guy going to med school and trying to work flextime, and he couldn't do it. All he had to do was like 2 shifts every three months, and he never had the time. Of course, he had a family that wanted to spend time with him when he wasn't stuck in the library... kinda hard to skip out on them and go to work in your downtime.

I was a medic for 5 years before medical school, and I decided not to work while I'm in school now. I was proud of being very good at my job, and I know that if I was working just a couple of shifts a month, I'd feel rusty every time I went on a call. I'd rather focus on med school and learn as much as I can here. In what little time I have off, I work out and decompress... I guess I just decided a part-time job isn't worth it.

I got my Florida medic license for the hell of it, and I'll see about volunteering with the local auxiliary EMS, but to me that's a more casual commitment than a job. Meh, maybe I'm being a hypocrite, but I'd hate to let go of my medic completely...

Meh, maybe I'm being a hypocrite, but I'd hate to let go of my medic completely...

I don't get it. Why do you both care?

I was an EMT-B/P for years, and an LPN and let's face it, the training for all of those is pretty minimal and the compensation abysmal. The courses were extremely easy (compared to med school), so it's not like it was hard earned, or that it will impress PDs when you apply for residencies.

Now, if you're a PA-C, it makes sense to keep certified as the money is outstanding, and you could argue it could help you with some things in med school.

But a paramedic cert?? What possible use could you get out of it? Pat yourself on the back for getting into med school and move on!

I was an EMT-B/P for years, and an LPN and let's face it, the training for all of those is pretty minimal and the compensation abysmal. The courses were extremely easy (compared to med school), so it's not like it was hard earned, or that it will impress PDs when you apply for residencies.

Now, if you're a PA-C, it makes sense to keep certified as the money is outstanding, and you could argue it could help you with some things in med school.

But a paramedic cert?? What possible use could you get out of it? Pat yourself on the back for getting into med school and move on!

Short answer I like EMS, and didn't really pursue it for the money, and plan to continue being involved after medical school.

I'm considering volunteering with a local ambulance squad. That's the only good justification I have. I was never in EMS for the money, that's for sure, but it's still important to me to remain a part of it. If that doesn't make sense to you, your reasons for becoming a medic must have been different from mine.

Medical school comes first, and if my performance suffers, I'll give it up; but so far I have the luxury of a little extra time to dedicate to volunteering, and this is how I'd like to spend it.

I'm considering volunteering with a local ambulance squad. That's the only good justification I have.

I apologize, my post didn't sound rude in my head when I composed it. Now that I read it and your response, I see that I am coming off as a tad offensive.

The fact that you enjoy being an EMT-P is enough reason to take shifts. I just cannot imagine liking it more than the limited free time one has in medical school! I suppose I was just floored that someone enjoys being a paramedic that much...I probably would not have left it if it was that great for me

Take care and good luck to you all

I was thinking of going to school for paramedic so that I had a stable job while in med school, I have about a year and a half left in undergrad which would be perfect timing..My fear is that med school will be so stressful that I wouldnt even be able to have a job even if I wanted to... what do you think?

I was thinking of going to school for paramedic so that I had a stable job while in med school, I have about a year and a half left in undergrad which would be perfect timing..My fear is that med school will be so stressful that I wouldnt even be able to have a job even if I wanted to... what do you think?

This has been discussed several times on multiple forums. Short answer is its dependent on multiple factors and you'll find people who worked full time all 4 years of school and people who didn't work at all and every variation in between.