PANICKING! School forcing me to defer or transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ONE FINAL LESSON:
Some schools accept AP credit, some schools don't. Some schools accept community college credit, some schools don't. Some school's require biochemistry, some school's don't. Some schools now require the new MCAT, some schcool's don't.
It's YOUR job, not the schools, to inquire about these concerns and issues IN WRITING and follow up ASAP. When you're app is incomplete, as mine seemingly was, you are at the mercy of the school. Save yourself the problems and handle these situations in writing.
Kid, open your eyes a little. Yes, it's your responsibility to make sure you have met the requirements to matriculate. Duh. But, most schools don't leave emails pertaining to requirements unanswered. Further, they don't play phone tag with students when it comes to matriculation and they are very up-front and transparent about which requirements need to be met. The fact that you couldn't find any proof of whether or not you actually met the requirements is freaking concerning.

Edit: I'm glad this worked out for you, I really am. But, let's not kid ourselves here and pretend like everything was handled well and start handing out life lessons. You got lucky that they scapegoated their staff and resolved the issue for you. For the kids who weren't so lucky, I wouldn't recommend avoiding lawyers and waiting for the school to clean up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
I agree 1000% here. Mistakes do happen, schools do overbook, but to the tune of 40 people? It's a level of incompetence that I've never seen in my 20+ years of being a Faculty member at a med school.

When something screws up at my school, they also blame it on "change of administrators".

Jesus christ I can't even believe this **** storm happened.

Handling it internally? Mistakes happen, we're all human? I'm glad it worked out for you, but it sounds like a number of students were strong armed into changing campuses out of fear for losing their seats. What happened to them?

I'm suspicious that this was simply a mistake over a change in administrators. This sounds like they dug themselves a huge hole and when it started looking bleak for them, they changed staff to wipe their hands clean of the mess.

Reactions: 14 users
Interestingly enough I'm surprised this thread isn't enough to make many of their accepted students go elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got final confirmation that I have met the pre-recs. I will be matriculating at Touro-NY.
Very happy about the final outcome. It seems like the change of administrators is what caused this fiasco. Once the dean of the college stepped in, it looks like it was handled promptly. I'm very happy that I can live close to my partner and can start my life in New York City!!
Mistakes happen. We're all human. I'm happy Touro was able to correct this in a two week span.
Lesson to everyone else:
-NEVER PANIC
-Make sure everything is in writing.
-Read the fine print in these admission pamphlets.
-NEVER be afraid to ask questions during the interview day and admission process
-This CAN be resolved promptly without contacting a lawyer or the press.

Of course they corrected it, I don't know the full story but it seems as if their backs were against the wall. If every student that was affected by this kept their mouth shut and took the withdrawal would the outcome have been the same?

Reactions: 1 users
MODS, @AlteredScale
Seems like the issue has been resolved. Can you close the thread? It's becoming out of hand.

MODS, @AlteredScale
Seems like the issue has been resolved. Can you close the thread? It's becoming out of hand.

I wouldn't call it resolved. The students stuck with the specific "aacomas deficiency" got it resolved. Many others were still forced into deferment due other problems. Like one student received a form from the admissions office after the bursar's deadline. The student still got forced into deferment for not handing the form to the bursar on time.

It's not getting out of hand at all. Nor is it an issue that's resolved. Quit whining.

okay. suit yourself.
I'm going to an MD school. How do you think this thread looks to those of us on the other side? Further perpetuates DO stereotypes...

okay. suit yourself.
I'm going to an MD school. How do you think this thread looks to those of us on the other side? Further perpetuates DO stereotypes...
This is...very lame. Worry about yourself, perhaps?

Reactions: 11 users
okay. suit yourself.
"Those of us on the other side"?
"Perpetuates DO stereotypes"?
Get over yourself. I'm also going to an MD school but that's not at all relevant here. This has nothing to do with MD/DO stereotypes and everything to do with a large number of students getting shafted by an administration, for many of them the situation is still unresolved.

The only stereotype being perpetuated here is by you: that MD students can act like real dinguses to their DO counterparts.

Reactions: 31 users
MODS, @AlteredScale

I have seen out of hand here on SDN. This thread isn't remotely.

It has drawn a lot of attention to a situation where it seems a school may have behaved abusively toward 20% of the students that it accepted to one of its campuses. That is absolutely worth discussing. If it all works out for the best for the OP, if it turns out that it was a big misunderstanding after all, etc... it still deserves the attention it has garnered.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
okay. suit yourself.

oh MD savior thank you for your wisdom. without you, the osteopathic profession was on a sure fire spiral downward into the depths of hell. mods please close the thread so DO's don't get their licenses revoked.

Reactions: 13 users
The only stereotype being perpetuated here is by you: that MD students can act like real dinguses to their DO counterparts.
Edit: not worth my time.
I help a ton of DO pre-meds on this site and a lot of people know it.

LOL You have absolutely no idea who I am do you?
I read DO Personal Statements and help pre-med DOs more than a lot of people and you think I'm an dingus?
honestly I don't know where osteopathy would be without you dude. i'm giving ya a like

Reactions: 19 users
Kid, open your eyes a little. Yes, it's your responsibility to make sure you have met the requirements to matriculate. Duh. But, most schools don't leave emails pertaining to requirements unanswered. Further, they don't play phone tag with students when it comes to matriculation and they are very up-front and transparent about which requirements need to be met. The fact that you couldn't find any proof of whether or not you actually met the requirements is freaking concerning.

Edit: I'm glad this worked out for you, I really am. But, let's not kid ourselves here and pretend like everything was handled well and start handing out life lessons. You got lucky that they scapegoated their staff and resolved the issue for you. For the kids who weren't so lucky, I wouldn't recommend avoiding lawyers and waiting for the school to clean up.

I'm wondering if administration is reading these forums and put pressure on people posting here (not too hard for them to figure out who OP is based on what she said).

Sounds like OP copped out but given the the desire and huge demand for med school spots in the United States, its no surprise that he/she did. Not the OP's fault but the system is broken, If I'm unhappy with the school that I was accepted to after the fact, I should be completely free of all judgement when reapplying. Mistakes do happen but no business taking your money should be able to strong arm you to that extent. I don't care how much you like the school/location. You should have solicited the advice of previous posters and retained a lawyer. This "pull the ladder up behind you" behavior seems to be the general trend in medicine today. Just because your issue was resolved doesn't mean that they're not going to screw you over at some point during your medical career. If the school doesn't incur any repercussions, they're probably just going to continue these appaling actions. Anyways, best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Lol you have to be kind of a tool to respond to "get over yourself" with "you have absolutely no idea who I am, do you?"
No, I don't know who you are and I don't care. Don't make douchey comments and they won't get called out. Super simple.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm wondering if administration is reading these forums and put pressure on people posting here (not too hard for them to figure out who OP is based on what she said).
My school is very open about the fact that they read SDN. If a question comes up in a thread that they can answer, they acknowledge that they saw the question on SDN and then answer it. I wouldn't be surprised if Touro was responding to these threads.

Interestingly enough I'm surprised this thread isn't enough to make many of their accepted students go elsewhere.

Think about it. If you had put down your deposit, signed a lease and paid first month's and a security deposit in NYC, have plane tickets, turned down all other acceptances, withdrawn from any waitlists, maybe even ordered books/supplies already, and then a month before school starts you see this thread, what would you do?

As much as I agree with the sentiment, I don't fault anyone, who has already done away with other options, for staying with Touro-NY. Turning around and reapplying would lose them a year along with a year of attending pay, not be a sure thing, and potentially put them even further from their goals.

Even if the admin doesn't treat the students well, my guess is that if you keep your head down, keep expectations low, and stay on top of things, you'll leave in (hopefully) 4 years with a medical degree and never have to deal with them again.

Now hopefully future applicants take note, and it causes the school to change the way it's administration treats its students. Even so there will always be plenty of people that want to go to Touro-NY just to be in NYC, and they'll explain away threads like this.

This is very likely the case. At my Touro-NY interview some years ago, and at multiple others for that matter, they made it very obvious that they monitor and read SDN. A couple deans mentioned it by name, and said something along the lines of "remember we're watching it too".

On another note, it's absolutely ridiculous that a school would make people defer just because they're immunization forms weren't competed before they even set foot in campus. Again, I think back to my school that is relatively authoritarian, and I know people were given threats, deadlines, nasty emails, and still started school without issue. As long as immunizations were in by early 2nd year, everything was fine. Now sure, no one should purposefully delay those forms past a deadline, but to just stop a student from starting for a bureaucratic reason that isn't really even necessary until 3rd year is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got final confirmation that I have met the pre-recs. I will be matriculating at Touro-NY.
Very happy about the final outcome. It seems like the change of administrators is what caused this fiasco. Once the dean of the college stepped in, it looks like it was handled promptly. I'm very happy that I can live close to my partner and can start my life in New York City!!
Mistakes happen. We're all human. I'm happy Touro was able to correct this in a two week span.
Lesson to everyone else:
-NEVER PANIC
-Make sure everything is in writing.
-Read the fine print in these admission pamphlets.
-NEVER be afraid to ask questions during the interview day and admission process
-This CAN be resolved promptly without contacting a lawyer or the press.

Prefacing my response by saying that I'm glad you got into the school you love so much (for whatever reason, even after this disaster)...

Once the dean stepped in? What was he doing for two weeks in the middle of a crisis at his school?? Surely this problem wasn't handled "promptly".

Lol @ the "NEVER PANIC". Hindsight is great.

Wasn't your acceptance in writing? Woops, looks like that doesn't matter!

Please enlighten the rest of us on what questions you would have asked during your interview day that would have prevented something like this from happening. "Hi! I was wondering if, after being accepted for the better part of a year, you will change your current admissions policies to screw me out of a seat for this class. Will the admissions department answer phone calls to resolve these potential problems? Thanks!" .................................

This is so near-sighted. As someone else said later in the thread, where do you think you would be without the people who actually took action (contacted the press and lawyers).

Glad I didn't send this school the $50 or whatever secondary fee

Reactions: 10 users
Lol you have to be kind of a tool to respond to "get over yourself" with "you have absolutely no idea who I am, do you?"
No, I don't know who you are and I don't care. Don't make douchey comments and they won't get called out. Super simple.

Mee-ow kitty has claws.

Prefacing my response by saying that I'm glad you got into the school you love so much (for whatever reason, even after this disaster)...

Once the dean stepped in? What was he doing for two weeks in the middle of a crisis at his school?? Surely this problem wasn't handled "promptly".

Lol @ the "NEVER PANIC". Hindsight is great.

Wasn't your acceptance in writing? Woops, looks like that doesn't matter!

Please enlighten the rest of us on what questions you would have asked during your interview day that would have prevented something like this from happening. "Hi! I was wondering if, after being accepted for the better part of a year, you will change your current admissions policies to screw me out of a seat for this class. Will the admissions department answer phone calls to resolve these potential problems? Thanks!" .................................

This is so near-sighted. As someone else said later in the thread, where do you think you would be without the people who actually took action (contacted the press and lawyers).

Glad I didn't send this school the $50 or whatever secondary fee
secondary fee is 200, lol

OK so a college student from large state uni told me their pre med office sent them an email warning them not to apply to tuoro - Harlem because of unscrupulous practices and that there's a very active discussion on the pre health advisor listserv and that touro hasn't responded to inquiries yet @gonnif

okay. suit yourself.

One image:

upload_2016-6-29_18-19-26.png

This is why I quoted a former dean of mine about arbitrary and capricious behavior. If Touro-NY didn't have this policy in writing (and made it known to applicants/acceptees) then there are some lawyers who are going to be making boat payments from this.

On another note, it's absolutely ridiculous that a school would make people defer just because they're immunization forms weren't competed before they even set foot in campus. Again, I think back to my school that is relatively authoritarian, and I know people were given threats, deadlines, nasty emails, and still started school without issue. As long as immunizations were in by early 2nd year, everything was fine. Now sure, no one should purposefully delay those forms past a deadline, but to just stop a student from starting for a bureaucratic reason that isn't really even necessary until 3rd year is ridiculous.

It is very hard to believe that an Admissions Dean would be ignorant of the fact by the end of April or May that the class was overbooked. Their jobs are on the line over stuff like this, and I believe that it gets on COCA's radar. Our wily old Admissions dean gradually closes the spigot when we get closer to end of cycle, and we start getting very picky over who we accept.

Copy of email please, or it didn't happen. I've learned to be wary of hearsay.

OK so a college student from large state uni told me their pre med office sent them an email warning them not to apply to tuoro - Harlem because of unscrupulous practices and that there's a very active discussion on the pre health advisor listserv and that touro hasn't responded to inquiries yet @gonnif

@Goro

From what I heard from my interviews, it seems that schools always over-accept more than they can matriculate since they expect some of the accepted students to end up attending another school and they want to max out their class size. How is this situation prevented at other schools then? Is it you fill the class and place everyone else on the wait list? Or if not, is there usually a deferment+scholarship incentive to get them under the limit? Cause I can see this being an mistake at any school where they accepted 170 for a class size of 135 and expected people to drop but that particular year everyone just happened to want to attend/didn't get in elsewhere. Just curious!

Like the airlines, ALL med schools overbook. The degree to which you overbook is based upon historic norms of acceptee withdrawals. You always become more conservative and eventually you go to the wait list to fill your class.

How do Deans figure out their magic numbers? Black magic, akin to a subject taught at Hogwarts.

Still being overbooked at the end of the cycle, and then hoping people will defer or withdraw is rare. So rare that Admissions deans get fired over this. The typical solution to overbooking is asking people to defer and offering them a financial incentive to do so (scholarships or tuition discounts).

Overbooking by 40 bodies says something is VERY wrong with things at Touro-NY. This is sheer incompetence.

@Goro

From what I heard from my interviews, it seems that schools always over-accept more than they can matriculate since they expect some of the accepted students to end up attending another school and they want to max out their class size. How is this situation prevented at other schools then? Is it you fill the class and place everyone else on the wait list? Or if not, is there usually a deferment+scholarship incentive to get them under the limit? Cause I can see this being an mistake at any school where they accepted 170 for a class size of 135 and expected people to drop but that particular year everyone just happened to want to attend/didn't get in elsewhere. Just curious!

@Goro

Total speculation, but it might have something to do with their ridiculous 4k deposit. If I had gotten into Touro-Harlem before hearing back from any other school prior to Touro's deposit deadlines, I would definitely have put the deposit(s) down. Even if I got in somewhere else that I preferred, at this stage in my life I might consider the 4k too big of an investment to simply let go and pursue the other school(s). But even then, this doesn't seem to have changed recently. And the admissions dean obviously knew this. Who knows what actually happened? Would love to read about it in the Times if it comes to it though haha

I read the email myself it's real, I don't have access to a copy

@Goro

Most schools I know of send more acceptances out (except for the top schools) than can accommodate their class, but this situation is still exceedingly rare, because late in the cycle they are wary of accepting more people and they start filling the waitlists.

My school for example sends out bunches of acceptances. They then wait to see how many people pay the deposits ontime. If its more than they expected, they start to tighten the numbers of acceptances they send out in the next round, even if it means putting good candidates on the waitlist briefly. The acceptances are sent in a staggered manner so that by the time more deposit deadlines come and go, its time to send out another batch of acceptances (so you have an idea how many seats you have at that moment). If more than expected people don't hold the seats into the summer, they work their way down the waitlist to fill the class.

The thing is, accepting 30% more candidates is outrageous, especially this late in the game. Even when other schools have overaccepted its usually on the order of single digits.

My guess is that one of 2 things happened:

1) They didn't have nearly enough interest in the Middletown campus and just assumed they could convince enough people to go there that it wouldn't be a problem overaccepting by 40 students, OR

2) They didn't take into account the number of their MS students they would have to accept this year and overaccepted non-MS students late into the cycle when they should have stopped accepting people in March (like they talked about doing when I applied some years ago), due to uncertainty of the MS student numbers.

I'm just going to add three things to this thread to clear up any confusion, and to prevent misinformation from being spread more.
1. There was never any official documentation stating over 40 students had been over-accepted. The amount of students posting on the facebook page that indicated they were having trouble with this was no where near 40 students. Yes, a lot of students did have issues, but that number has literally come out of thin air.
2. Touro is now offering scholarships to students to go to Middleton.
3. The deposit is the same as a lot of other DO schools, 3K (2K for the first deposit, and 1K for the second).

Key questions:
Were students rejected after the fact due to changes in policy like AP credits, pre-req grades or immunization records?
If so, how many?
How many were overbooked?
Yes, a lot of students did have issues, but that number has literally come out of thin air.

This is a sign that they're doing right. But the scholarships should have come right up front.
2. Touro is now offering scholarships to students to go to Middleton.

100% correct.
3. The deposit is the same as a lot of other DO schools, 3K (2K for the first deposit, and 1K for the second).[/QUOTE]

Yes, the number 40 does not have a reliable source that I know of. To my knowledge, about 10-15 students brought up issues on our school's page about acceptances.

Yes, the number 40 does not have a reliable source that I know of. To my knowledge, about 10-15 students brought up issues on our school's page about acceptances.
If 10-15 came forward, I'm willing to bet 20+ were affected.

No students to my knowledge were given deficiency notices for immunization records or for background checks (as the original poster claimed).

Scho has taken action by dealing with the admjnistrators who were to blame with the situation. The school is also offering a ridiculously generous scholarship for students to go to Middletown. I won't give all the details here but I believe many students will take the scholarship, heck even I'm considering it and I already have a deposit on a Manhattan property.

From what I was told, the admissions director was, in fact, fired over this situation.

When I think about "problematic" administration, she's not the first person that comes to mind but who knows what was going on behind closed doors.

Scho has taken action by dealing with the admjnistrators who were to blame with the situation. The school is also offering a ridiculously generous scholarship for students to go to Middletown. I won't give all the details here but I believe many students will take the scholarship, heck even I'm considering it and I already have a deposit on a Manhattan property.

"Ridiculously generous scholarship".... seems like an overstatement given the situation. Probably more along the lines of "a just reparation". We're talking about righting a wrong, not rewarding someone for something insignificant.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you willing to give out the details?

Reactions: 5 users
Just wondering but will this affect the future of the students from this school? Will other schools, residency programs or hospitals, etc. view Touro students more harshly, disadvantaging them?

Just wondering but will this affect the future of the students from this school? Will other schools, residency programs or hospitals, etc. view Touro students more harshly, disadvantaging them?

For an event to harm a school's reputation, it would require the school to have had a decent reputation beforehand.

This is why I quoted a former dean of mine about arbitrary and capricious behavior. If Touro-NY didn't have this policy in writing (and made it known to applicants/acceptees) then there are some lawyers who are going to be making boat payments from this.

It is very hard to believe that an Admissions Dean would be ignorant of the fact by the end of April or May that the class was overbooked. Their jobs are on the line over stuff like this, and I believe that it gets on COCA's radar. Our wily old Admissions dean gradually closes the spigot when we get closer to end of cycle, and we start getting very picky over who we accept.

Copy of email please, or it didn't happen. I've learned to be wary of hearsay.

Email from my old premed office (big state university from east coast):
Dear 2017 DO applicants,

In light of recent admissions decisions at TouroCOM-NY affecting the 2016 admitted class,
we are writing to suggest you use caution when applying to this program.

This medical school over-subsscribed its class for fall 2016 and is employing unscrupulous
measures to reduce it down to size, including:

- informing students very late in the game of deficiencies in prerequisites that had not
previously been flagged (math and English in particular in cases where the student had
received a written waiver from the school or was using AP credit that the school now says it
does not accept but previously did accept. There has been no AP information on the
school's website)

- missing immunization forms

- blaming students for missing deposit deadlines (for their $3000 non-refundable deposit that
is collected in increments of $2000 and $1000) when the error is on their end

There is a heated discussion of this topic going on at this time on our national listserv and
one can only hope that AACOM will get involved. Until Touro-NY responds and treats their
admissions decisions honorably, we cannot recommend this program to applicants.

Reactions: 8 users
Dear 2017 DO applicants,

In light of recent admissions decisions at TouroCOM-NY affecting the 2016 admitted class,

This medical school over-subsscribed its class for fall 2016 and is employing unscrupulous

- informing students very late in the game of deficiencies in prerequisites that had not
previously been flagged (math and English in particular in cases where the student had
received a written waiver from the school or was using AP credit that the school now says it
does not accept but previously did accept. There has been no AP information on the
school's website)

- blaming students for missing deposit deadlines (for their $3000 non-refundable deposit that

There is a heated discussion of this topic going on at this time on our national listserv and
one can only hope that AACOM will get involved. Until Touro-NY responds and treats their

damn. Glad to see that it seems to have worked out for the people in this thread though.

Quite damning.

Dear 2017 DO applicants,

school's website)

one can only hope that AACOM will get involved.

Dang, discussed on a national listserv? That actually sounds legit, and I wonder where they get their information from, and if they're able to confirm a large over-acceptance?

I mean, my allopathic school overaccepted (sounds like not much waitlist movement anywhere), but they haven't tried to kick anyone out, just asking for deferrals. I'm holding out for the 80K+ scholarship =D

I don't think it will have much of an effect as far as residency programs and hospitals are concerned. This is an admissions issue and doesn't speak to the quality of the curriculum. Maybe you could argue that it shows that the school makes bad decisions (like how you would attack someone's character in court as opposed to a specific action) but I feel like that is unlikely. Then again, what do I know? Hopefully it doesn't affect current students and their match prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.