Pandemic Suicide Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An early peak at the 2020 data. Looks like all those anecdotal reports of an increase were likely not accurate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm curious about the demo breakdown. If most of the fall were in the 65+ group, you'd have to wonder how many people the pandemic killed, who may otherwise have completed suicide. Particularly given how hard it hit those in that age group with significant pre-existing health problems, who would have been predisposed. Or, did rates fall within younger age groups as well. Interested to see the updates in this one.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm curious about the demo breakdown. If most of the fall were in the 65+ group, you'd have to wonder how many people the pandemic killed, who may otherwise have completed suicide. Particularly given how hard it hit those in that age group with significant pre-existing health problems, who would have been predisposed. Or, did rates fall within younger age groups as well. Interested to see the updates in this one.
We don't have that data yet. Who knows. There could be numerous reasons for the reduction. Not to mention simply a regression to the mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have that data yet. Who knows. There could be numerous reasons for the reduction. Not to mention simply a regression to the mean.

Yeah, with the recent run up over time, there was bound to be a pullback at some time. It's kind of like when people freak out about a slight uptick in crime after a 25+ year decline in rates.

The data in from the JAMA article (linked in the AP study) show some other interesting trends in cause of death from '19 to '20:

Suicide- down 6%
Heart disease- up 5%
Diabetes- up 15% (!)
Stroke- up 6%
Alzheimers- up 10%
Influenza/pneumonia- up 7%

These were the causes that seemed to have the biggest year to year changes between 19-20 vs. previous years. No age related data in there, which i agree would be telling. Perhaps some of the more "lifestyle" related increases could be somewhat "passive" suicide, un that people stopped caring for themselves?