palm pilot in third year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people use to stay organized during rotations? If I don't get a Palm Pilot or other PDA, will I be the only one with a ittle binder full of index cards?

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, you'll probably need both. I use index cards for things like vitals, meds, etc., but my Visor has proved invaluable as a reference source. Programs like Lexidrugs, Merk Manual, and Griffith's 5-Minute clinical consultant allow me to look up lots of stuff on the spot that I'd probably blow off otherwise. Plus, it looks good to attendings if they see you constantly reading while they're busy with other things.

I got the Visor Platinum because it's cheaper than Palm, uses the same OS, and when I got it Palm didn't have an expansion slot for additional memory. I currently have 16 megs on board (8 internal and 8 on the module) but a friend on mine recently got a 16 meg expansion module over the internet from Japan. Check out http://handheldmed.com for examples of the various texts available for Palm OS.

do u think denton cooley carried around a freaking palm pilot when he was a 3rd year med srudent at hopkins???? Dont get a palm pilot??
My feeling is.. If its so important of a matter than i be there someone will call me and remind me

Members don't see this ad :)
just my two cents...

On my Visor, I have 2 pharm references, the Merck Manual, medical formula calculator, and the Washington Manual. My lab coat pockets are soooo much lighter than having to carry 4 books.

hey billie why do you need all that stuff anyway.. Why dont you bring the pharm professor too on rounds. you have to know basic information to be able to fuction on rounds effectively..... you dont have to look in merck manual... you should be reading harrisons anyway.....

what is the qd dose of Gent??? dont look it up...

Justin, I have had my attendings ask me to look up things for them on my Visor. I don't know of any doc that doesn't look up things in their Tarascon Pharmacopeaia, whether they have the text or the electronic version on their handheld. And I do have Harrison's, (as well as the 5 minute clin consult) on my Franklin e-book that I carry in the other pocket. But I have found the Merck MUCH handier on rounds. I have looked in Harrison's and not found stuff, but I can ALWAYS find it in my Merck on my PDA.

Brother, what a load of crap. Don't be afraid of technology. Ok, great you got the dose memorized, so what. What are ALL the side effects of the drug and how often do they occur, what is the metabolism, half-life, mechanism, what are other uses for the drug, etc..
Of course you have to know a great deal, but first you have to learn it. I've found that the palm is a great way to look up something real quick, right after seeing a patient or talking about one. It helps you learn.
I didn't use it to track patients since I need a less structured way to track all the little details and this is often just too complicated/time consuming to do on a palm. And I use it as a reference and aid to my readings. What ever works for you is the right way no matter less open-minded individuals say.
Cheers!

My question to the group is this:
I bought a Palm M505 which has 8MB plus a 64MB card unfortunately Dr. Drugs and the 5min consult take up 6MB(which can not be stored on card) I'd like to add Wash manual etc how can I do this and keep my patient tracking files?.. I know patient tracking data etc must be store on the Palm itself and not in an external memory.
Thanks
:) Diane