Painkiller Netflix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been watching this show on Netflix. As pain physicians, have any of you seen it? It's very interesting and I think valid even now. I think your opinions are important

Members don't see this ad.

currently watching Painkiller (halfway in). Dopesick was overall better from an entertainment standpoint but Painkiller is getting the point across.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started watching it last night. Dopesick was much much better. By now we're all familiar with Purdue pharma, the Sackler family, and what went down with Oxycontin. I think that Painkiller is worth watching just to see another interpretation of the events that unfolded that has had such an impact on our specialty.

That being said, Painkiller is like Dopesick but instead of good writing and well-done, it was made by Netflix.

It's full of rap-music, skimpy dresses, quick flashing scenes that are made just to shock you (i.e. flashes of Sackler named buildings in quick succession that you don't have enough time to read, a middle-aged DEA man dancing in small swim trunks that say Oxycontin on them, etc), overly aggressive females and weak men, strong black characters and weak white characters. I haven't finished the series yet, but given Netflix's politics I imagine there will be a gay scene not relevant to the plot forced in there somewhere as well. If that type of thing bothers you, you may not want to watch it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
It's full of rap-music, skimpy dresses, quick flashing scenes that are made just to shock you (i.e. flashes of Sackler named buildings in quick succession that you don't have enough time to read, a middle-aged DEA man dancing in small swim trunks that say Oxycontin on them, etc), overly aggressive females and weak men, strong black characters and weak white characters. I haven't finished the series yet, but given Netflix's politics I imagine there will be a gay scene not relevant to the plot forced in there somewhere as well.
Best post I've read in 6 months!!!

LOL!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You and I have a different idea of what “quick flashing scene” means lol

Reactions: 1 user
Did yall watch American Pain?

I started watching it last night. Dopesick was much much better. By now we're all familiar with Purdue pharma, the Sackler family, and what went down with Oxycontin. I think that Painkiller is worth watching just to see another interpretation of the events that unfolded that has had such an impact on our specialty.

That being said, Painkiller is like Dopesick but instead of good writing and well-done, it was made by Netflix.

It's full of rap-music, skimpy dresses, quick flashing scenes that are made just to shock you (i.e. flashes of Sackler named buildings in quick succession that you don't have enough time to read, a middle-aged DEA man dancing in small swim trunks that say Oxycontin on them, etc), overly aggressive females and weak men, strong black characters and weak white characters. I haven't finished the series yet, but given Netflix's politics I imagine there will be a gay scene not relevant to the plot forced in there somewhere as well. If that type of thing bothers you, you may not want to watch it.
whatever gets more eyeballs on it. netflix >>>>> hulu in terms of footprint

some of my patients have started bringing it up, thanking me that I don't recommend opioids to them.
i should have all my new consults watch dopesick, painkiller or crime of the century and bring me a 1 page paper about it before i see them.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

some of my patients have started bringing it up, thanking me that I don't recommend opioids to them.
i should have all my new consults watch dopesick, painkiller or crime of the century and bring me a 1 page paper about it before i see them.
I think Benzos and stimulants are overprescribed and I see many similarities in the way they are marketed with them and these opioids. I went back and read the product insert on Vyvanse while watching this.

This must be why I like this better than dopesick. Less attention span for this one! 🤓

Imagine if it was on HBO

• Haha

I had a new patient today, they couldn’t wrap their head around why I was not prescribing them opioids (aside from being on TID benzos and being discharged from another pain practice). Told them to go watch this series and then come back and ask why.

Reactions: 2 users
Season 5 of Bosch was a fun look at pill mills and opiate rings. If you like detective serials with a lot of butt kicking.

Season 5 of Bosch was a fun look at pill mills and opiate rings. If you like detective serials with a lot of butt kicking.
What's the full name of that show and where can I watch it? I see a Bosch:legacy on Amazon that's only one season.

Finished Painkiller. I was wrong, no random gay scene thrown in. Kudos.

My favorite exchange:

"God, I want a Plastic Surgeon. I'm so bored of (effing) Orthos."
"Why?"
"Yeah, what's wrong with Orthos?"
"Oh, they're just ego, ego ego..."

I'm watching dopesick. In this one they focus on a male rep

Interesting that Suboxone had the same marketing issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-193042.png
    Screenshot_20230819-193042.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: