Pain in my butt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to keep up certifications. Going to school by day and working by night makes being a NREMTP very difficult to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that the registry accepts part of school and residency as Many of the required hours.

I feel your pain. I am an EMT-I so I don't have to worry about as many hours as you do, but Connecticut recently decided that part of our 48 hours of CEUs every two years must include 24 hours of basic EMT recert class. Oh! the pain and boredom!! I now we all need to keep up our basic skills, but it still just plain sucks! If I was an EMT-B I would only have to sit through a recert every 3 years, but no as an EMT-I I get to do it every 2 years. Thank you so much State of COnnecticut! At least the rest of my hours are approved as part of my med school coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why anyone would bother keeping up with their certs after graduating from medical school anyway. When I graduate next year I will not worry about it at all. And I will still keep that gold patch on my wall because I earned it, and as a physician I can do all those things and more without paying the registry a few extra bucks a year.

I agree. No need to recert EMS certs once you are near the end of med school. Do you plan to work as an EMT or paramedic after you are a physician? I sure hope not.

Also, how does working night shifts help to maintain your cert? CE credits are what you need, which can be done online, not actual hours worked. I normally only work on weekends anyway, and not always on consecutive weekends.

Hey Justin,

This is off subject, but how are you already the AMSA president if your classes have not yet begun? Just curious. Congrats on starting school though. I think OSU and TCOM should have more get togethers since we are not all that far apart. Maybe we could start some sort of tradition whereas TCOM and OSU-COM meets halfway in the middle for an evening of partying!! We met 4-5 of your MS2's this year that cam down for our OMM review for boards by Dr. Steve Simmons. We here forget that there are several great residencies up the Tulsa way for DO's and it would make sense to stay connected.

Matt