PAID Intership for Summer--Any Ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey---

Does anyone know how to go about getting a "paid internship"? I am a current MS I, looking for summer work.

ANY and ALL replies, details and ideas would be VERY welcome!

Thanks!
M.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a call girl between my 1st and 2nd year of medical school. Made enough to pay off tuition for a year and pay off my car. You can usually make 1-2k a night if you work 6-7 hrs.

Most people I know didn't work much between the years, 2nd year is pretty damn tough (but more enjoyable than 1st year)... some people did research and got paid some for that... but remember as a first year student (or even second), you know very little about medicine, and definately aren't licensed to do much. Your knowledge is like 0.5% of what you'll know by the end of medical school.

Q

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Your knowledge is like 0.5% of what you'll know by the end of medical school.

Yeah! That's kind of what I figured. I'm hoping to hear from people who maybe worked in a Dr.'s office doing something...whether it be med. histories, or filing stuff or answering the phones or whatever. And how the person got that job.

Keep posting!
M.

PS--Quinn, if you really did work as a call girl, you could set up a lucrative practice here in my neighborhood in KC; you could relate very well to the working girls around here!:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrMaryC
Yeah! That's kind of what I figured. I'm hoping to hear from people who maybe worked in a Dr.'s office doing something...whether it be med. histories, or filing stuff or answering the phones or whatever. And how the person got that job.

Keep posting!
M.

PS--Quinn, if you really did work as a call girl, you could set up a lucrative practice here in my neighborhood in KC; you could relate very well to the working girls around here!:p

I made enough money down here in FL. Lots of rich young retirees and what-not. I was pretty exclusive with the clientele, though (usually one a night, but for 4-6 hrs). I probably made more that summer than I will as a junior attending.

But in regards to what you were saying (ansewring phones, etc), usually doctors have full time people do that... and its probably more of a pain to hire someone for 2 months... besides, people don't need a medical education really to do that sort of thing, so they can hire people for very little an hour. You could try being a waiter. Or do what I did. I'm telling you, every female should consider it, its very rewarding.
Q

DrMaryC,

I have a friend who goes to UW med school. Between her MS1 and MS2, she participated in a program where they placed her with a FM physician in Wisconsin and she shadowed him all summer. She was paid and given a free place to live. The experience allowed her to practice a lot of the H&P stuff she learned and some extra techniques she hadn't learned yet. She said it was a very positive and worthwhile experience.

Irish,
Thanks for the reply. That would be ideal! Unfortunately my school doesen't set those things up, so I'm kinda on my own.

I'm getting some ideas though, I'm going to have the alumni guy at our school to let me know of any docs back home who might have graduated from my school...and go that route.

Thanks guys!
M.:D