Pager in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acosi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, could I please get input on a good/inexpensive paging system to use for an outpatient practice? Are pagers necessary anymore with the ability to use a cell phone? I don't currently have a pager system but am looking into the feasibility/necessity of having one for my patients. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why in the world would you need a pager? Just set up a HIPAA compliant voicemail with a message saying hang up and dial 911 if it's an emergency.

There are no circumstances under which you should need pager availability for outpatients and if your residency drilled into you the ridiculous idea you had to instantaneously respond to every patient request, they were wrong and you should unlearn that.

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you must....
Google Voice number.
Can choose to have it turned on or off with a google Voice App on your phone.
Get the VM transcripts and text messages. Ability to call from it and text from it, too.
Google Voice buried in the account, assuming connected to your practice, is one of those HIPAA Business Agreements required by CMS, too.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't seen a pager since I left residency in 2012. I thought it was an antiquated torture device then.
Haha, I was just thinking 2012 was the last time I carried a hospital pager. Hated it.

Reactions: 1 users
What is a pager? Just kidding, I used to work for a paging company selling them back in the 90s. The fancy ones could send this newfangled thing called text messages. I told people that would never catch on. 😛

Reactions: 2 users
Why in the world would you need a pager? Just set up a HIPAA compliant voicemail with a message saying hang up and dial 911 if it's an emergency.

There are no circumstances under which you should need pager availability for outpatients and if your residency drilled into you the ridiculous idea you had to instantaneously respond to every patient request, they were wrong and you should unlearn that.
One of the most valuable lessons I learned when starting in outpatient was, set hard limits with patients as well as staff.

Reactions: 3 users
Antique store? Along with rotary phones and dial up Internet