Program-Specific Info / Q's PACIFIC UNIVERSITY OTD FALL 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y’all. I’m a current student at Pacific. I remember feeling lost in this process and pouring over these forums for answers. If anyone has questions about the interview day, acceptances, life at PU, etc, I’d be happy to answer them the best I can.

Thanks!! How do you like the program so far?? And how does the interview day go. I applied early but haven’t been offered an interview yet. I’m from CA how do you like the Area the school is in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y’all. I’m a current student at Pacific. I remember feeling lost in this process and pouring over these forums for answers. If anyone has questions about the interview day, acceptances, life at PU, etc, I’d be happy to answer them the best I can.
I remember from a different post you mentioned that you had not gotten in the first time you applied to pacific. You had also mentioned that Mr. Larsen had given you some advice on what you could do to improve your application. What kind of things did Mr. Larsen say that you needed to improve upon, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember from a different post you mentioned that you had not gotten in the first time you applied to pacific. You had also mentioned that Mr. Larsen had given you some advice on what you could do to improve your application. What kind of things did Mr. Larsen say that you needed to improve upon, if you don't mind me asking?
I'll direct message you.

That is so nice of you!! Should we post here? I am curious if there is a system they use when sending invites for the first interview date vs the second?

Reactions: 1 user
That is so nice of you!! Should we post here? I am curious if there is a system they use when sending invites for the first interview date vs the second?

I don't know if there is a "system" but I know that the interview is a huge opportunity to express who you and why they should choose you. As for everything else, Jon Erik explained it like a soup... 1 thing can be "off" and it won't throw off the whole recipe. So if you have great experiences and recommendation letters, etc, but your grades are middle of the line, that doesn't mean that they discard you when comparing you to someone who has a 4.0.

Reactions: 3 users
How did the interviews go for those who had it yesterday? And is there any information when the second round of interview invites will be sent out?

How did the interviews go for those who had it yesterday? And is there any information when the second round of interview invites will be sent out?
Hi! I didn't hear anything about when invites are going out, just that decisions will not be made until after the second interview. I was REALLY impressed with the program and how it was presented. I felt like they went all out to make us feel welcome, comfortable, and give us as much information as possible to help in making our decision.

I also really enjoyed it! It was really cool to have individual interviews as well. You really have a chance to let them get to know you. I was impressed that the interviewers read my whole application and got a feel for my background before we even started. They were really welcoming and great to talk to also. The writing sample was an easier prompt than I anticipated too!

Jon-Erik said there won’t be any descisions until after the final interview on 3/10.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from the school?
Just an email from Mr. Larsen regarding admin stuff..nothing too exciting. I'm sure they will start sending more info out soon. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I received an email today with an interview invite! Any tips would be great :D

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email today with an interview invite! Any tips would be great :D
Yay! Congrats! Honestly my biggest advice would just be to do your best to relax and not stress. Easier said than done I know, but the more you can let yourself relax the more your personality can shine through. Also take advantage of all the opportunities to chat with current students, they were a wealth of information and encouragement! I felt like chatting with them and other candidates also helped me relax a bit.

Eek, I'm eagerly awaiting an invite (or rejection) still too!

Yay! Congrats! Honestly my biggest advice would just be to do your best to relax and not stress. Easier said than done I know, but the more you can let yourself relax the more your personality can shine through. Also take advantage of all the opportunities to chat with current students, they were a wealth of information and encouragement! I felt like chatting with them and other candidates also helped me relax a bit.
Thank you! I have read that the interview is really relaxed and they try their best to make you comfortable. I am definitely looking forward to meeting everyone. Pacific seems to be such an amazing school!

NICE!!! Glad to hear invites are coming...even if not for me!
I know the feeling. I almost didn't want to post, because of the anxiety I felt every time someone else posted that they received an interview. Whether you get an interview or not, keep your head up! You will have connections to this network, and have advice at your fingertips at the very least! Good luck!!

I know the feeling. I almost didn't want to post, because of the anxiety I felt every time someone else posted that they received an interview. Whether you get an interview or not, keep your head up! You will have connections to this network, and have advice at your fingertips at the very least! Good luck!!
Thanks! I'll be ok either way. I'm just hoping to get info one way or the other so that I can plan my next move.

Hello! I have an accepted for the interview on March 10th and was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about the interview process? This is for sure my first choice and I want to do everything I can to make sure I maximize my chances; could you please direct message me? thank you!!

Does this mean all interview invites for March have been sent?

Does this mean all interview invites for March have been sent?
Probably getting close..I'm going to assume, since it's really late in the game, that it won't happen for me this year. I'm already looking at starting on next year's application.

Probably getting close..I'm going to assume, since it's really late in the game, that it won't happen for me this year. I'm already looking at starting on next year's application.

Well my email is down at the moment so I haven’t been able to check but I probably didn’t get an invite. Bummer

Hey all! I just received an interview invite email from Pacific this morning for 2/10/18.

Will you be going to the university for your interview or will it be on Skype.

So, I got an email last week and my application was missing two transcripts I was military so I transferred a few times. I’m worries that is going to negatively impact my application. As soon as I received notification of the missing transcripts I hand delivered one of them (I had it sent to me a while back) and the other I had emailed. At least I know they are reviewing it? Anyone else go through this, and it ended up okay???

Hey, I was missing one of my transcripts, and I got an email today from Pacific University confirming that I will have a phone or skype interview. I am from Ohio; therefore, I won't be traveling to the University. I sent an email back to Jon-Erik letting him know I am still interested in the program and want the phone interview. He stated that he would be pairing me with the faculty member who will conduct my interview and I will hear from them soon.
Hope this helps. I am so nervous!

Hi everyone! I also received an email from Jon-Erik today offering an interview via phone or skype. I had an in-person interview with them last year and was placed on the waitlist :( I'm wondering if they are doing more skype/phone interviews this year so applicants can save money. They seem to be much more accommodating than other programs!

Hi everyone! I also received an email from Jon-Erik today offering an interview via phone or skype. I had an in-person interview with them last year and was placed on the waitlist :( I'm wondering if they are doing more skype/phone interviews this year so applicants can save money. They seem to be much more accommodating than other programs!

Hey, this is great news! How was your interview process last year and writing sample. I live in Ohio, so I am assuming because of the distance my interview is on skype. Do you live far?

Awesome, any tips? I'm nervous since I won't be in person for my interview. Also, how was the writing sample for you?

I was really surprised that the people conducting my interview had actually read my application and personal statement, they already knew so much. The other few interviews I've done it was like they were interviewing a blank canvas. You'll have opportunities to expand on what you've already written and also present fresh ideas. The writing sample was easier than I expected. You have to answer a general OT related prompt and you'll have plenty of time. Good luck!

Hey, this is great news! How was your interview process last year and writing sample. I live in Ohio, so I am assuming because of the distance my interview is on skype. Do you live far?

I'm so grateful they're giving me another chance! :) I live in Southern California.

Last year, I was interviewed by a professor and a second-year student. They were both very friendly and asked questions that were mostly related to my essays. As kat7575 mentioned above, it is an open file interview and they will ask you to elaborate on some things that stuck out to them. They also asked the common questions: what is OT, why OT, and why Pacific. The essay asked about your personal experiences and overcoming some sort of challenge. I'm not sure if they change it every year, but the essay is not bad. Good luck!

Hey, I was missing one of my transcripts, and I got an email today from Pacific University confirming that I will have a phone or skype interview. I am from Ohio; therefore, I won't be traveling to the University. I sent an email back to Jon-Erik letting him know I am still interested in the program and want the phone interview. He stated that he would be pairing me with the faculty member who will conduct my interview and I will hear from them soon.
Hope this helps. I am so nervous!
Thanks! I ended up getting an invite to interview on March 10th!! Whew! So excited. Good luck to you! Maybe I will meet you in the future :)

Hi everyone! For those still waiting to hear back, I just received my rejection today (2/26); I applied before the first initial deadline. Good luck to all the applicants!!

Hi everyone! For those still waiting to hear back, I just received my rejection today (2/26); I applied before the first initial deadline. Good luck to all the applicants!!

Same! Haha

I was really surprised that the people conducting my interview had actually read my application and personal statement, they already knew so much. The other few interviews I've done it was like they were interviewing a blank canvas. You'll have opportunities to expand on what you've already written and also present fresh ideas. The writing sample was easier than I expected. You have to answer a general OT related prompt and you'll have plenty of time. Good luck!

Do you have anymore advice for the people interviewing March 10th? I know the writing sample will be OT related; but, do you remember what the question was or anything? This is my first interview in a year...I am so nervous!

Who typically interviews the students? And is it consistent so that all students get interviewed by the same people?

Who typically interviews the students? And is it consistent so that all students get interviewed by the same people?
When I was there last month they had way more interviewers than I anticipated. Each applicant is interviewed individually by two people who are either alumni or faculty. I was actually interviewed by two alums and it was an awesome experience. It was nice to be able to talk with them long enough that I felt like they really had the whole picture of me. It felt like a very fair process. They try to do everything they can to let you showcase yourself. Have fun!!

When I was there last month they had way more interviewers than I anticipated. Each applicant is interviewed individually by two people who are either alumni or faculty. I was actually interviewed by two alums and it was an awesome experience. It was nice to be able to talk with them long enough that I felt like they really had the whole picture of me. It felt like a very fair process. They try to do everything they can to let you showcase yourself. Have fun!!

Thanks for the info! Being an OTD program, I’m wondering how much weight they put on a student being able to articulate why OTD and not a Masters...because truly for me, I just really like the school and want to be able to have other options for the future. Do they give preference for students that express a passion for research and academia?

Thanks for the info! Being an OTD program, I’m wondering how much weight they put on a student being able to articulate why OTD and not a Masters...because truly for me, I just really like the school and want to be able to have other options for the future. Do they give preference for students that express a passion for research and academia?
My guess is that this does factor in, we talked about it quite a bit during my interview — they could see that the other programs I applied to were masters and wanted to know why I wanted the OTD. I discussed wanting to be a leader in the field and a critical consumer of research, all of which is true, but with the reality of program costs I’ve chosen a masters program instead, even though I do really like the program at pacific!

My guess is that this does factor in, we talked about it quite a bit during my interview — they could see that the other programs I applied to were masters and wanted to know why I wanted the OTD. I discussed wanting to be a leader in the field and a critical consumer of research, all of which is true, but with the reality of program costs I’ve chosen a masters program instead, even though I do really like the program at pacific!

Hey guys, current student here..

It's important to note: the doctorate encompasses more than academia and research. It sets you up to be a more advanced generalist and clinical reasoner. A big skill is evidence-based practice, which allows you to apply current evidence and challenge "old" practices that aren't actually beneficial. These skills are taught at a master's level, but more implemented at a doctorate level. The doctorate allows you to design your own capstone project, which is not offered at a master's level. A capstone gives you 100% of the reigns to lead a project of your design and interests. The skills you will learn there are very valuable.

While research and academia are important to some, I'd argue that very few of us are highly interested in making research and/or academia a big part of our future careers.

I just finished my skype interview and writing sample. It was fair. Professor Boggis is very friendly and answered every question I threw at her. I would say those who haven't had their interview be yourself, make sure you have some type of basic understanding of what OT means to you and read up on the core values and attitudes of OT. I only know some of these things because the school I graduated from has an accelerated OT program that I chose not to apply to for personal reasons!

Of course! I was asked about in my interview and it sounds like most folks were.

I actually have a few questions!!

Hey everyone, I know the last round of in-person interviews were this past weekend. How was everyone's experience?