This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mt14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done my fair share of lurking and research about this topic but i think my situation is unique enough to not apply to the other posts. Im currently a senior graduating in a couple of weeks and have decided to go MD instead of PA . My situation is that I need to take a gap year to finish my prerequisites, volunteering, shadowing etc, but I can't decide whether to take my prerequisites at a community college or 4-year university. I know this has been discussed so many times but my situation differed from all the ones I have seen. I majored in Neuroscience and have completed the prerequisites for PA school, but i'm missing a few for medical school, including Physics 1 and 2 with labs and Ochem 2 and lab. Because i'm only missing 13 credits, would it be ok to take these at a community college? Its a pretty good community college well known in the area and would save me a ton of money. I took higher level bio classes at my 4 year university like biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, and anatomy and physiology and have a pretty high science gpa, so I don't think that taking CC classes will make it look like im taking the easy way out, but i feel like it may be sketchy since i was a science major, not English or something, and im taking these classes literally a month after graduating.

I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

Also, the schools im applying to all accept CC credit but there's the whole thing about it being 'frowned upon' but looked past depending on the situation (which im not sure if mine applies)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My prerequisites are scattered over some of the best and lamest schools in my region. Nobody brought it up.

Things like Physics and biology are just checkboxes. You need to have a high GPA.

Your MCAT is how they will actually be judging your academics against other candidates.

(Just my lowly, premed opinion)

My prerequisites are scattered over some of the best and lamest schools in my region. Nobody brought it up.

Things like Physics and biology are just checkboxes. You need to have a high GPA.

Your MCAT is how they will actually be judging your academics against other candidates.

(Just my lowly, premed opinion)

thanks for the opinion! During my undergrad i was taking up to 7 classes a semester and my cumulative/science gpa is about a 3.75 so i dont think they will really care about where i took physics..