PA School with less than stellar GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe1993

Reaction score
Long story short, I was a A/B student until my last year of college. I had some issues and fell into drug addiction and almost became a victim of the opioid epidemic. My last year I got straight C's and failed 2 courses. I made up 1 F and got a C in the course. Unfortunately my college does not replace F's with new grades, the F stays on the transcript and is averaged with the new grade. I graduated in 2016 and I have been clean since then with no more drug issues. My overall GPA is around a 3.15. I do have patient care experience as I volunteered as an EMT in college and for the past 1 plus years I have been employed as a medical technologist. What are my chances of getting into a program with 2 F's? I would love to advance my career and become a clinician and work directly with patients instead of working in a lab. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you will get into any PA program as you will be competing against absolutely brilliant students, mostly young women with 4.0 GPAs and thus have proven their ability to absorb and regurgitate information on tests (thus padding any PA program's PANCE scores).

Perhaps consider a graduate degree, get straight A's, thus showing that you have overcome your demons.

Thanks for the reply. I do still have 3 pre req courses to take, Anatomy & Physiology I & II and Microbiology. Say I do really well in those 3 courses, I know it would not raise my GPA that much, but would doing well in those 3 show admissions that my last year of college was sort of a hiccup? I've heard of people not doing so well in the beginning of college but then doing well and it was enough to show improvement. My situation is opposite as I did really well the first 3 years and then messed up at the end.

Inwas once a medical technologist, and then programs that still cared about healthcare experience liked that background. You can overcome the Fs if you ace the retakes and get A’s from here on out. You are are truly against significant numbers of young female students who have done well in school, but like I said, find he schools that still care about healthcare experience. They also will be slightly more forgiving. That is gradually changing too, though.