This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gpmoese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm an Exercise Science major set to graduate this June. I was thinking about pursuing a PA program post graduation and I'm doing everything I can to learn about the admission process and the business itself. I know they like to see (or even require) medical/clinical experience on your application and I have been working as a physical therapy aide for about a year so I have some experience under my belt. But with my graduation looming I'm looking for a job that will hopefully kill two birds with one stone and that is: further medical experience and make a decent amount of money (I'm not paid all that well at my current job). Do you guys have any recommendations about what I can/should pursue with my current qualifications? I should mention that it needs to be part time because I still have to knock out a few prerequisites like organic chem and physics etc. and if possible, a job where they would train me on site (not like a medical assistant or CNA which I'm pretty sure you have to go to school for.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have some hefty classes in front of you, I wouldn't risk anchoring yourself down to a job if it means you have to risk your grades. Grades are the most important part of your prep for pre med or pre PA. No HCE that you can realistically obtain in short order will make up for sub par grades. Getting A's will be your ticket to whatever program you want, with the exception of the dwindling programs that have a robust HCE requirement, and those schools won't look at someone without them having HCE with significant responsibility. Some schools are bending down these days and veering from accepting traditional high HCE candidates in favor of things like yoga instructors and stuff, but they have minimum requirements that you might as well not bother with. Don't worry about HCE, just get grades. If you want to join the on campus EMT volunteers or something, go for it if you want to get involved. Be a TA for some exercise science prof or something.

In undergrad, exercise science was the typical degree being pursued by premeds. The landscape was easy to maximize gpa, and you didn't have to take some of the robust courses that although helpful to biological knowlege, would risk damaging their gpa. No really hard classes, and you could use the time everyone else was spending to study for big neuroscience exams to study for the MCAT or run a project for a professor to get your name on a publication. It generally worked pretty well. Do the same thing.

Since you have some hefty classes in front of you, I wouldn't risk anchoring yourself down to a job if it means you have to risk your grades. Grades are the most important part of your prep for pre med or pre PA. No HCE that you can realistically obtain in short order will make up for sub par grades. Getting A's will be your ticket to whatever program you want, with the exception of the dwindling programs that have a robust HCE requirement, and those schools won't look at someone without them having HCE with significant responsibility. Some schools are bending down these days and veering from accepting traditional high HCE candidates in favor of things like yoga instructors and stuff, but they have minimum requirements that you might as well not bother with. Don't worry about HCE, just get grades. If you want to join the on campus EMT volunteers or something, go for it if you want to get involved. Be a TA for some exercise science prof or something.

In undergrad, exercise science was the typical degree being pursued by premeds. The landscape was easy to maximize gpa, and you didn't have to take some of the robust courses that although helpful to biological knowlege, would risk damaging their gpa. No really hard classes, and you could use the time everyone else was spending to study for big neuroscience exams to study for the MCAT or run a project for a professor to get your name on a publication. It generally worked pretty well. Do the same thing.
Thanks for the info. I'm actually surprised by some of it though. The schools by me (or at least the few that I've looked into) have a bit more forgiving GPA requirements and stress the HCE more because I actually went into 2 of their admission offices and got some info directly from them. Obviously that's no reason not to do your best academically as well but they said they all value well rounded individuals like shadowing doctors (MD or DO), volunteer work, HCE and obviously good grades and test scores. And I actually shadowed a resident DO last week who told me basically the exact opposite haha get HCE forget about your grades. Maybe it varies by school/location?

Can you tell me more about on campus EMT volunteering? I've never even heard of that. Would that be on campus for undergrad or on campus for the PA schools I'm looking at? And how would I go about getting my foot in that door?

Thanks again for the info

Where I got one of my undergrad degree's, there was an EMT class/program that was really involved in the surrounding community and at events on campus. They had great exposure and ride along's... things like that. I don't know how common this is among universities, but looking back, I wish I had been involved.

My feelings on the value of grades has evolved over time to the point where I am now, where essentially I advocate for focusing almost completely on grades. The reason why has a lot of components that I will break down. This will probably seem to ramble:

For one, an academic trail is the hardest to modify on the fly. Unless you have programs of study that are committed to grade replacement, you are stuck with what you get. In the case of PA schools, you sometimes see that retaken courses are averaged with the original grade, and you can get burned that way. I could belabor the point about grades, but to put it simply, the academic record you accumulate is expensive, a slow process, and frequently unforgiving. Grade struggles are something I've seen most frequently lamented among folks applying to get into a PA program. To sacrifice good marks is to sacrifice an advantage needlessly. When you are head to head with someone and competing for a seat with similar attributes to each other, the higher GPA wins. Folks chime in that things are never "equal", which is true, but you never know how well you will fare, so why not come to the table with awesome grades to cover your bases. You will want all the ammunition you can carry to the battle for a PA seat because often there are a minimum of 10 applicants per spot, and you have no way of knowing for sure how much firepower you will need to get your own.

So at the end of the day, it can take years and thousands of dollars to improve an academic record, but HCE can be obtained by hitting a for profit program and putting in a matter of weeks or months to your training. I have 2 areas in my background that would qualify me for the schools in the country that are the pickiest with their HCE requirements. To obtain my HCE paths, as well as the experience working in them, took years. Is it worth it to you to become an RN or RT just to get HCE to get into the programs with the highest HCE minimums? That's a handful of schools compared to the programs that don't care much about HCE, or else require very little. So in that regard, you still get more bang for your buck by getting high marks. Take it one step further, and if you are side by side competing with someone with similar merits, grades break the tie. Say I'm at University of Utah (a very HCE heavy program) interviewing with other nurses with backgrounds like mine.... I'm still going to want better grades.

So there's no scenario where I would regret not having great grades. However, since not every program cares about HCE like a place like U of U, I wouldn't want to risk good grades to obtain HCE. Taking the time to obtain great HCE might not be worth it due to financial cost, lost time (=lost income), or other opportunities for growth that you might miss out on. Sure, if you can manage to work as a CNA and get good grades, then by all means do it. But I just know how self centered employers can be. They wont care that you have a test in the morning and you haven't studied... they will want you to come in to work. If you want to work to get HCE, make sure you are the kind of person that wont struggle.

If that DO resident had followed his own advice to an extreme, he wouldn't be a DO resident. He probably could sense that you had your ducks in a row as a student, and weren't going to blow it if you relaxed a bit and got some HCE to round out your resume.