Overview of Cardiology Fellowship Programs. Summary, Pros and Cons. 2019.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guzman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking to start this thread so that everyone will be able to see what other people think about their home programs or other programs they visit. Ideally for each program, we can provide a small summary of the feeling we got at the interview day and then the pros and cons. Other people can of course disagree. It can be useful for future applicants as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Boston Medical Center
Pros: Boston, difficult and sick population, great academics, Framingham access, imaging
Cons: low volume, no HF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boston Medical Center
Pros: Boston, difficult and sick population, great academics, Framingham access, imaging
Cons: low volume, no HF.

Maybe even more helpful would be further details. What does great academics mean? What's good about their imaging? What do you mean low volume?

Geisinger Medical Center
I'm a current fellow in the beginning of my 2nd year.

Pros
-Excellent volume (both procedural and imaging). Literally get level II in everything without much effort (nuclear, CT, echo, cath). Just for perspective I am only 14-15 months into my training and I have read 600 TTEs, 50 TEEs (one month), 250-300 LHC/RHC, 200 nukes and about 60 cardiac CTs. Cardiac MRIs are also available for those interested (and read by cardiology); we do about 300-500 a year.
-Cush schedule- 1st two years majority of call- only 8 weekends a year (either sat or sunday off) and 4 weeks night float a year. 3rd year only 4 weekends and 2 weeks of NF. Definately have the best schedule of any program Ive interviewed at and probably better than MOST around the US.
-Great autonomy both on our service team (consults, HF service, cardiology/CCU) and procedural specialties. I would say that for 75% (at least) of my diagnostic LHC the attendings are not touching the patient or the catheters.
-Internal moonlighting- general cardiology moonlighting, great pay (many fellows breaking 6 figures); hospital is 45 min away and program pays for gas and mileage as well as fully furnished apartments available. Moonlighting is home call. Internal moonlighting is also available in other departments to us (IM, critical care, etc)
-Super friendly environment; Core faculty are primarily early and mid career attendings who are very invested in the fellowship program and the fellows. We are first name basis with most of attendings here.
-Superfellowships- Interventional (heavy structural training as well), EP (PD Dr. VJ is internationally recognized as a leader in HIS bundle pacing) and advanced imaging. All fellowships prefer and take internally.
-Compensation is very competitive relative to the cost of living.
-Our PD Nick Mead is awesome; always has our back. He is our biggest advocate and very receptive to our feedback. Many recent changes of the program based on our feedback.

Cons
-No Heart Tx; Advanced HF (recently recruited 2 HF docs); now putting in about an LVAD or 2 a month
-Adult congenital is not heavy here
-Good relationship with PENN and fellows have done both of the above at UPENN
-Danville, Danville, Danville. Definitely the biggest con of our program is location. It is a very small town with very little to do. On the plus side if you have a family (like myself) it is a great place to raise a family, very safe and affordable and given my schedule I have alot of time to travel. Cities nearby Wilke-barre-Scranton 1 hr, Philly 2.5 hr, Pitt 3.5 Hr, NYC 3 Hr, Baltimore 2.5 Hr, DC 3.5 Hr. Location is why geisinger was not a top choice for me looking back it really should have been. I honestly believe geisinger was in a big city we would be a very competitive program.
-Vascular- vascular imaging right now as well as peripheral interventions not officially structured into our training but we do rotate with vascular surgery if fellows are interested.

Reactions: 2 users