Overtime???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wan2BPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, a couple of questions...

(Btw, I searched the forum, and found something similar to an answer I might be looking for, but it was all "I heard of a pharmacist who..." and "my friend said that...," so I'm looking for solid answers lol)

1) First off, besides retail, do pharmacists in other areas (clinical, nuclear, etc.) have significant opportunities for overtime work on a regular basis? And if so, roughly how much per week?

2) If overtime is available (and I'm including retail this time), do pharmacists get paid time-and-a-half? I've heard both yes and no, and I'm sure it varies from place to place but I wanted to get a general idea.

I start pharm school next year, and I was considering working overtime each week after I get out to help dig my way out of 100K of debt. I'm already pullin in 50+ hours b/w school and 2 jobs, so yeah lol

Members don't see this ad.

Retail...

Depends on where you work.

Wags is time and 1/2. CVS is plus 6, RA plus 6 or 8?

Some people love the OT, I dont bother much unless Im really in the mood.

I enjoy my days off.

Nuclear...

Not so much. Most nuclear RPh positions that I've seen are generally salaried (assuming they're not temporary contractors). So getting 40+ hours is unusual.

However...nuclear pharmacy is extremely specialized, and if you're looking to get some extra hours in during the week, many of us will take the opportunity to work part-time in retail, hospital, LTC, consulting, etc....which will also help you stay current in "traditional" pharmacy (for lack of a better word).

Members don't see this ad :)
So do ALL Wags give time and a half? And do all CVS's only give +6 on the hourly rate? Or does this vary from place to place?

Also, how much overtime do they allow for a single pharmacist?

So do ALL Wags give time and a half? And do all CVS's only give +6 on the hourly rate? Or does this vary from place to place?

Also, how much overtime do they allow for a single pharmacist?

i don't have any experience with this, but i'm pretty sure it'll vary depending on region.

it definitely varies state to state; store to store

some pharmacies in cali give time and a half for anything over 8/shift........some give OT pay for anything over 40/week

just ask the local recruiters or district managers

or how about you tell us where you live and maybe someone from your state can chime in

<=== Location :D

lol

To be honest, getting paid time-and-a-half when already getting paid upwards of $50/hr makes my mouth water lol

Location location, depends on the local labor laws. I know California mandates time and a half for non-exempt workers...so that includes most nurses, pharmacists, etc...

For California, there is a set of guidelines available where if you answer "yes" to some combination of questions, that will classify you as non-manager/non-exempt. A lot of companies have been getting in trouble by classifying employees exempt when in fact their positions are not such.

<=== Location :D

lol

To be honest, getting paid time-and-a-half when already getting paid upwards of $50/hr makes my mouth water lol

saw the nova location.......but depends where you will practice

va, dc, md all have different laws, different boards of pharmacy

it would be smart for you to get licensed in all 3........just do a score transfer when you take the NAPLEX :thumbup:

Good advice, thanks...I'll deff keep that in mind. I plan to stay in VA though...I have a few contacts around here anyway, and I've got my rotations lined up in this area as well

Anyone know if VA has some sort of law like Cali? Or where I could find that info myself?

Good advice, thanks...I'll deff keep that in mind. I plan to stay in VA though...I have a few contacts around here anyway, and I've got my rotations lined up in this area as well

Anyone know if VA has some sort of law like Cali? Or where I could find that info myself?

Keep in mind that VA is a right-to-work state, which means that you work at the whim of your employer. There is very little union influence to help you if you get laid off or fired, and there aren't a lot of employee advocacy groups out there in this state. This is one of the reasons our wages are comparatively low (another reason is that we have SOOOOOO many people employed in the public sector, but that's another thread).

at my hospital you get time and a half after 40 hours per week, and double time for anything over 12 hours on a shift.

There are two factors that determine overtime pay, the laws of your state and the policy of your employer.

This is kind of a dumb question but I'm curious--if you are a non-salaried employee working at a place that has 10-hour shifts...do you still get OT for the last 2 hours? or is there some sort of policy that says because our facility offers 10-hour shifts only, we are not required to pay you OT for the last 2 hours? is it diff from state to state (like in CA they are required to pay you OT).

Overtime rules will vary from state to state, right?