Overreacting about interview offers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomalii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question, when do most programs offer interviews and what do most programs require to even consider an applicant for one?

Is it still to early to be expecting more interview offers? I saw on a random site that even UCSF is offering them now!

Edit: Thanks so much for the supportive responses :). Yea, in hindsight this post does make me look stressed which I was at the time. If anyone has more info on how offers work, that would be superb. But in the meantime, I'm breathing in and out xD. I have a few friends that rank top 5 in their med school I'm sure and have legendary reputations at their school, and even they have not gotten offers yet, most applied to 10-15 programs, but if even they have not been offered, I am not worried ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anomaly:

(1) Breathe in -- deeply, to the count of 10.
(2) Breathe out -- slowly,to the count of 10.
(3) Repeat PRN until you calm down, or pass out, whichever comes first.

You'll be fine, I'll be fine, we'll all get interviews and match somewhere and this time next year we'll be up to our elbows in happy mommies & happy babies.

wow u got four interview offers in the first 2 weeks that is not bad

Members don't see this ad :)
Question, when do most programs offer interviews and what do most programs require to even consider an applicant for one?

I have submitted ERAS on 9/1 with my step 1 score. The only letter of rec that will be on file in the near future is one from an ob/gyn. I am expecting also a chair letter (don't know when but I asked her in August), a letter from internal medicine (geriatrics) and one from family medicine. I got 4 offers but applied to so many programs that I am too embarrassed to say.

Is it still to early to be expecting more interview offers? I saw on a random site that even UCSF is offering them now! My step 1 score is 222 and my GPA is slightly below the class average albeit from a well known school. I'm just so eager to hear back =/.

Yeah, it's way too early to start getting stressed. Just sit back and relax and wait for the interview offers to come in. Yes, some programs start offering interviews early, even if your application isn't complete yet. Others will wait until after the Dean's letter is submitted. Some interview starting in late October and have a lot of interview dates, some have 2-3 dates total and don't start until late November.

Yeah, it's way too early to start getting stressed. Just sit back and relax and wait for the interview offers to come in. Yes, some programs start offering interviews early, even if your application isn't complete yet. Others will wait until after the Dean's letter is submitted. Some interview starting in late October and have a lot of interview dates, some have 2-3 dates total and don't start until late November.

can i start getting stressed now?:scared:

Is the end of October to late to apply to a few extra program. I have already 8 interveiw offers and still waiting to hear on a bunch of others. I would feel better with a few more interviews to add to my ROL. Do many interviews start getting offerred after the MSPE comes out?

Thanks

Most deadlines are November 1st. Some programs do wait until the Dean's letters come out before they send out their invitations. You could still get a couple of more interviews but do it this week.

So should I go ahead and assume that places who have already offered interviews to other people (per the interviews thread) aren't interested in me? And do programs ever email rejections or do you just not hear from them at all?

Don't assume anything. We have offered some early interviews but the bulk of our invitations are offered after the Dean's letters come out. I think most programs will notify you either way, but there are some programs that don't take the time to do that. It wouldn't hurt to follow-up next week with any programs that you have not heard from. There is also a good chance that if you are put on a waitlist that you will get an interview. As the rest of the invitations go out, there are applicants that will start cancelling interviews if they hear from programs that they have a stronger interest in. Don't be afraid to ask a program if they can move you to another date. One piece of advice, do not be a NO SHOW! That is rude and there are some programs that will contact your medical school. It takes 2 seconds to send an e-mail cancelling. You don't need to give an explanation.

I wouldnt worry about the interview list. If a program was already listed I stopped adding my name on it as I felt it was redundant to the list. Ive gotten a few interviews from schools already on the list well after they were listed. I also have heard that many places will reserve spots until after the deans letters come out so just because they are already on that list doesnt mean you are out of the running. When it doubt it doesnt hurt to put in a friendly call to tell them you are interested is the advice my advisor gave me. Especially if its a program you really want to attend.

I just saw this yesterday. It's a program director survey on the NRMP wesbite with stats on how many interview slots are offered relative to the mspe release. Looks like there are many spots that will be offered after Nov 1st. Check out the obgyn one
http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty.pdf

Sheesh, I didnt realize there were so many spots. Really amazing was the 27% of programs that didnt hand out any interview spots before the MSPE release.

Yea, I'm starting to get a little nervous. Since my dean's letter came out on Monday, I have 3 straight up rejections and 0 more interview offers. I'm beginning to wonder if the interviews I have now will be my only ones :scared:

Yea, I'm starting to get a little nervous. Since my dean's letter came out on Monday, I have 3 straight up rejections and 0 more interview offers. I'm beginning to wonder if the interviews I have now will be my only ones :scared:

Yea it's been a very slow week here it seems. The interviews thread is rarely getting new posts so seems like it's been a slow week in terms of new interviews being offered (or maybe people are just not posting up their interviews as much anymore?).

I thought that since this was the first week after dean's letters were released, it would get a lot busier around here. :confused:

Anyone have any idea the latest that interviews get offerred?

Anyone have any idea the latest that interviews get offerred?

They go all the way into Jan/Feb even sometimes, though the overwhelming bulk of them will be offered by end of November.

The ones in Jan./Feb. are usually as a result of cancellations or if a program feels that it's not happy with the applicant pool that it has already interviewed and wants to interview more.

Don't count on getting an invitation in January or February. Most programs are done interviewing by mid-January. Programs also know that they are going to get cancellations that late in the season because of cost and applicants are just too exhausted to interview anymore. I would say most if not all invitations have gone out. If you get an interview now, it would be that you are being taken off a waitlist. Invitations have been going out earlier and earlier every year. The deans letters have been out for over a week. I notice that on another thread that someone received an invitation from the Brigham. They are one of the last programs to send out invitations. If you have not heard from a program you are interested in, call or e-mail them to find out the status. Not all programs send out rejections.

Don't assume anything. We have offered some early interviews but the bulk of our invitations are offered after the Dean's letters come out. I think most programs will notify you either way, but there are some programs that don't take the time to do that. It wouldn't hurt to follow-up next week with any programs that you have not heard from. There is also a good chance that if you are put on a waitlist that you will get an interview. As the rest of the invitations go out, there are applicants that will start cancelling interviews if they hear from programs that they have a stronger interest in. Don't be afraid to ask a program if they can move you to another date. One piece of advice, do not be a NO SHOW! That is rude and there are some programs that will contact your medical school. It takes 2 seconds to send an e-mail cancelling. You don't need to give an explanation.

does this mean they send out invites in the days that follow, not weeks? the letters have been out since last sunday. that was pretty fast if that's the case:(

Last edited:
They would have sent out invitations in the days following the release of the MSPE. All of the applications (at least from the 500) that I received had everything in their application, so that was the only thing that was missing. There are quite a few programs who have already started interviewing and the rest will be following with their first interviews in the first half of December, so they need to get the invitations out now. They have to schedule the applicants and we realize that you also also have a schedule to put together. No one wants to wait until the last minute.