Outlook for MD/DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think about a student’s chances of being accepted to an MD/DO school with a 2.77 cum GPA? I earned two Bachelor’s degrees in undergrad (BS and BA). I also graduated with a language minor (Spanish). Needless to say, I took more than the normal amount of credit hours per semester (graduated with 206 credit hours, and also wrote a thesis, contributing to my low GPA. I struggled with some health issues during college which I have since resolved. I am planning on retaking some of my science prerequisite classes which I earned C minuses in – ie, general chem, organic chemistry. (However for example in general chemistry part 1, I earned a C- in lecture but an A- in lab – would admissions committees average them together to make a total grade of “B”?).
Attending medical school and becoming a physician has been my dream for many years. Given the above factors, if I were to retake the critical premed science classes at community college and earn A’s in them, what would my chances for being accepted look like?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think about a student’s chances of being accepted to an MD/DO school with a 2.77 cum GPA? I earned two Bachelor’s degrees in undergrad (BS and BA). I also graduated with a language minor (Spanish). Needless to say, I took more than the normal amount of credit hours per semester (graduated with 206 credit hours, and also wrote a thesis, contributing to my low GPA. I struggled with some health issues during college which I have since resolved. I am planning on retaking some of my science prerequisite classes which I earned C minuses in – ie, general chem, organic chemistry. (However for example in general chemistry part 1, I earned a C- in lecture but an A- in lab – would admissions committees average them together to make a total grade of “B”?).
Attending medical school and becoming a physician has been my dream for many years. Given the above factors, if I were to retake the critical premed science classes at community college and earn A’s in them, what would my chances for being accepted look like?

I would focus on grade replacement for DO schools. It is extremely unlikely that you will get accepted though with anything less than a 3.0, and even then, it will be an uphill battle. I do know of 1 person that had less than a 3.0 who got in, but they also had a master's degree on top of it.

As for your question about the averaging...if your school separates out the grades, AACOMAS will too, and nothing under a C (ie C- and lower) won't be counted as being complete so you have no choice but to retake. It seems though as if you are thinking that you are only needing to retake a few certain classes.Your gpa is very low, and you have a lot of credits....it seems to me like your whole academic profile isn't looking very good, and it is going to be difficult to turn that around. I would start retaking any classes you got a C or lower in (starting with any science classes). There is a gpa calculator floating around somewhere that you can use to see how many classes it would take to get your gpa to a 3.0. I would bet it's much more than 2 classes. I'm not trying to be mean, but your chances for MD are slim to none, and if you don't retake a good amount of classes and rock the MCAT your chances for DO are also very unlikely.

But I will be mean. Your chances for MD and DO right now are none and none. If you wanted be a doctor, it seems like overloading everything was stupid. Especially because it was at the expense of your GPA. If your school seperates lecture and lab, DO schools will see the different grades for lecture and lab. No averaging. You have a lot of grade repair to do. For DO, plan on at least a year. For MD, plan on 4 years or more. Hopefully you will see my post as some kind of tough love. You have A LOT of work ahead of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say at least two years since you have 206 credits already. My personal experience was 18 retake credits and 12 new credits to increase my GPA from a 2.65 to a 3.22. I only had 121 credits though. That and the classes I retook were C/Ds.

Unless your are a URM with The Medal of Honor and a nobel prize your chances are zero with a 2.77 GPA. Retake and get those grades up to all A's and you should be okay for some DO schools. I am going to be blunt and say MD is probably out of your reach at this point, it is hard to resurrect any GPA with 206 credits weighing you down.

What do you think about a student's chances of being accepted to an MD/DO school with a 2.77 cum GPA? I earned two Bachelor's degrees in undergrad (BS and BA). I also graduated with a language minor (Spanish).

0% chances indeed. It doesn't matter how many bachelors or minors you got.

I earned a C- in lecture but an A- in lab – would admissions committees average them together to make a total grade of "B"?).
Not going to happen.

Attending medical school and becoming a physician has been my dream for many years. Given the above factors, if I were to retake the critical premed science classes at community college and earn A's in them, what would my chances for being accepted look like?
Well, no point in telling you that you should have done better, but hopefully you won't compound mistakes with more mistakes. You need to show that you can do the science. You're not going to do this by retaking at a community college. If it was your first run at them and had financial hardship, that might be excusable, but you've failed at a 4-year college. At this point, not only do you need to retake all the critical premed science classes with A's, but you need new upper division sciences with A's as well.

If you want me to be blunt with you, move on with your life. 206 credits makes it nearly impossible to get to MD. It makes it a lifetime to get competitive for D.O. where you'd need a minimum of 3.4. Sorry, but you're not going to impress anyone if you get to a flat 3.0 with retakes. You need to be nearly at the average for your race (it's 3.5 for white and 3.45 for Asian).

Last edited:
Attending medical school and becoming a physician has been my dream for many years. Given the above factors, if I were to retake the critical premed science classes at community college and earn A's in them, what would my chances for being accepted look like?

Unfortunately it's going to be a dream still for many more years with that GPA.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk