out of state SUNY students- how easy is it to get instate residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2009doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm most likely going to end up at either downstate or upstate next year and i'm an out of stater. On our interview day it was mentioned that 2nd year and on we could get instate residency and tuition, but after reading the requirements i wonder how hard it is to get instate...i won't be buying property, just renting. probably won't be paying any income tax. i will be registering a car, getting a ny license, and registering to vote. i hope to stay in ny for residency (but can't predict my match...). any help would be greatly appreciated, alot of my decisions so far have been monetarily motivated, and want to make sure i haven't underestimated how easy it will be to be instate by year 2. thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.suny.edu/Student/paying_residence.cfm

Eligibility Basics
At the State-operated campuses (University Centers, University Colleges, and Technology Colleges), students are generally considered New York State residents if they have established their domicile in NY State for at least twelve months prior to the last day of the registration period of a particular term.

Generally, individuals who have maintained their domicile in New York for a period of less than twelve months prior to the end of registration are presumed to be out-of-state residents and are not eligible for the resident tuition rate.
Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college.
Individuals who are financially dependent and whose custodial parent(s) lives in a state other than New York are generally not eligible for the resident tuition rate. However, students of divorced or legally separated parents may acquire a NY State domicile if the custodial parent is a NY State resident or if the student resides with a non-custodial parent who is a NY State resident and the student intends to continue to reside with that parent throughout their attendance at SUNY.

Proof of Domicile
Campuses rely on documents and circumstances such as, but not limited to, the following to determine if an individual's domicile is in New York State. For financially dependent students, the campus relies on documents relating to parents or legal guardian.

Duration of physical presence in NY.
State of residency of the student's family.
NY State voter registration.
NY State driver's license.
NY State motor vehicle registration.
NY State real property ownership.
NY State residential rental lease.
NY State income tax returns.
Questions about resident and non-resident tuition rates should be directed to the Student Accounts Office at each SUNY campus.

I think that by changing your voter registration, driver's license, and such to NYS, along with living in New York for a year (while not dependent on your parents) is enough to claim residency. You should probably ask whatever school you're attending about income tax though, you might have to file a NY State tax return or something. I highly doubt that you need to own property to claim NY residency.

Kazema said:
http://www.suny.edu/Student/paying_residence.cfm

I think that by changing your voter registration, driver's license, and such to NYS, along with living in New York for a year (while not dependent on your parents) is enough to claim residency. You should probably ask whatever school you're attending about income tax though, you might have to file a NY State tax return or something. I highly doubt that you need to own property to claim NY residency.

thanks kazema for responding, i saw this info, but it still wasn't clear to me how much of the list would be needed...

is there anyone out there that has done this before??