Out of Province?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooke104

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to see if anybody could answer some questions I have about going to a Canadian Medical school. I am a Canadian and an American citizen. I have never lived in Canada and I have been living in California for the past 13 years. My dad is a Canadian who went to UBC for his undergrad and has always told me what a wonderful school it is. He currently lives in Asia and has been there for many years but he is considering moving back to Canada permanently in 2-3 years. So I have started to think that if I do end up deciding to apply to medical school I might want to apply to a Canadian school, especially UBC because my parents would move to BC if they did move back. I have been on the UBC website and they say you need to be a Canadian citizen to apply there, but I was wondering how they treat out of province applicants? Would I be considered an OOP applicant at every Canadian med school? Would it be difficult for me to apply as an OOP applicant? I thought I would ask here before I email the schools directly. Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

brooke104 said:
Hello,

I wanted to see if anybody could answer some questions I have about going to a Canadian Medical school. I am a Canadian and an American citizen. I have never lived in Canada and I have been living in California for the past 13 years. My dad is a Canadian who went to UBC for his undergrad and has always told me what a wonderful school it is. He currently lives in Asia and has been there for many years but he is considering moving back to Canada permanently in 2-3 years. So I have started to think that if I do end up deciding to apply to medical school I might want to apply to a Canadian school, especially UBC because my parents would move to BC if they did move back. I have been on the UBC website and they say you need to be a Canadian citizen to apply there, but I was wondering how they treat out of province applicants? Would I be considered an OOP applicant at every Canadian med school? Would it be difficult for me to apply as an OOP applicant? I thought I would ask here before I email the schools directly. Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it. :)

You would count as OOP in all provinces, I think (unless you were born in Quebec, in which case you are forever a Quebec resident). But if you can get in to a Canadian school, you will get a great education that will cost less than American schools. If you want to practice in Canada, go for it. If you want to practice in the U.S., you should go to a U.S. school.

Best of luck!

I second that. I think you have to have lived in the province for the last 3 years or some similar rule. Also, UBC literally accepts a handfull (<10) OOP students each year....if you want to apply i suggest you be the top-of-the-top.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few good schools in Ontario don't have geographic requirements so all applicants are treated equally regardless of what province (or country) they are from (but you still need to be Canadian). These are Queens and Toronto. Also the University of Western Ontario (my favorite Canadian school) doesn't discriminate between provinces but gives applicants from southwest Ontario an easier time.

And applying to UBC as an OOP isn't too bad. Probably less competitive than applying to Stanford, UCSF or many of the other UC schools.

I second what trustwomen said though:

trustwomen said:
If you want to practice in Canada, go for it. If you want to practice in the U.S., you should go to a U.S. school.

Plus, the financial aid as an American at a school like Stanford will be much better than anything you will get in Canada. So Canadians schools seem cheaper until you factor in that Stanford will give you 30K/year as a grant and you can make 14K/semester as a TA or doing research.

Thank you all for your help. It's nice to know that it's at least possible for me to apply/get into a Canadian medical school. I wouldn't apply to Canadian schools unless I was planning on practicing there after med school/residency. It would be nice to live in the same country as my dad for a while. :) I just wanted to know what my options were. Thank you so much, you have helped a lot!

Brooke