Out (as queer) during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sav_b1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

Hope this cycle is being kind to you! I was wondering if you guys could advise me w/ regards to a question I’ve been agonizing over for a while: should I refrain from outing myself as queer during my interviews?

Some context: this would not just be a random interjection. I feel like this aspect of my identity is a HUGE part of who I am and how I will eventually practice (so much so that I am considering bringing it up casually during the “tell me about yourself” portion of the interview). Being involved in the LGBT community has fundamentally changed my relationship to medicine.

I am “out” on my paper applications, though it’s not always explicitly stated (depending on secondaries), and it’s fairly obvious when reading through my extracurriculars and activities. However, the interview feels much more personal, and because I am primarily meeting with one person, I feel that a lot of my outcome will depend on that one person’s individual relationship (whether positive or negative) to the queer community. In other words, I just feel like the interview is a situation where A LOT is riding on this one person’s judgement of me, and bias may factor into that.

Do you guys think it’s a dangerous move to be so openly out during my interview, considering the demographics of adcoms/ interviewers? Also— to answer the question “would you really still want to go to a school where the environment was not queer-friendly?” YES. (Lol)

Members don't see this ad.

If an application is "open file", the interviewer may be able to infer that you are queer. With a closed file, you have to ask yourself whether this is something you want to raise, perhaps in the contex of your involvement in your community, or if there are other topics that are more relevant.

Reactions: 3 users
If an application is "open file", the interviewer may be able to infer that you are queer. With a closed file, you have to ask yourself whether this is something you want to raise, perhaps in the contex of your involvement in your community, or if there are other topics that are more relevant.
I agree 100% with the learned LizzyM.

In this day and age, where the unethical will try every means of gaining some points at interviews (such as magically discovering their Hispanic or Native American heritage upon applying), I strongly recommend that if you're outing yourself, you have walked the walk by having service to LGBT or other marginalized populations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sage advice from those two posts above mine. Their combined years of experience in med education probably exceeds my age. I also agree with not bringing up your sexuality unless in the context of community service. I'm mostly concerned about your ability to succeed in medical school and your commitment to a life of serving others, not whom you are attracted to.

Reactions: 3 users
Some of the best conversations I have had on the interview trail so far have been about giving out condoms to trans sex workers and clean needles to IV drug users. Don't avoid an important part of your life because it may be controversial.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, one thing I've heard some interviewers discuss about applicants with lots of social/political activism (on both sides of the aisle!) is the ability to consider opinions that may be different than yours and be respectful towards the people who hold them, no matter how much you disagree. So be ready for questions along those lines - that would probably be more of a make-or-break factor in an interview than the fact that you're LGBT.

Absolutely. Imagine treating a patient who is having problems with hypertension, anxiety, and poorly controlled diabetes. What's really bothering them? Their grandson is marrying a man and the idea of a "gay marriage" goes against everything the patient holds dear. Can you put aside your beliefs and take care of the patient without prejudice?

Reactions: 1 users
I won’t comment much on whether or not you should out yourself (I think you should do what makes you comfortable if it’s natural the conversation) but I do want to offer a word of caution.

You should be very cautious about using the word queer in interviews (or actually in general). While the LGBT community is reclaiming this word as one of positivity, many people over a certain age have a very different connotation with this word. To many older LGBT folks, this world will bring up memories of prejudice, bullying, and worse. And even for those who aren’t LGBT, if they grew up in the era when this word was used as an insult, they’ll likely be puzzled at a minimum by you using it. So I’d just be careful about how and when you use it, because you definitely don’t want to alienate your interviewer or worse bring up bad memories.

Reactions: 4 users
I think it's worth saying that med schools looooooove them some diversity. Might make you more appealing in some of the more liberal areas. Prob wouldn't mention it in Georgia.

I won’t comment much on whether or not you should out yourself (I think you should do what makes you comfortable if it’s natural the conversation) but I do want to offer a word of caution.

You should be very cautious about using the word queer in interviews (or actually in general). While the LGBT community is reclaiming this word as one of positivity, many people over a certain age have a very different connotation with this word. To many older LGBT folks, this world will bring up memories of prejudice, bullying, and worse. And even for those who aren’t LGBT, if they grew up in the era when this word was used as an insult, they’ll likely be puzzled at a minimum by you using it. So I’d just be careful about how and when you use it, because you definitely don’t want to alienate your interviewer or worse bring up bad memories.
It’s a valid point and I dislike the term queer myself, mostly because it seems to be very nebulous. However, it is a useful term to use when you are not certain about a particular identity. I feel like actual gay people would be all wth if you kept referring to yourself as a member of the LGBT community in a conversation, because they are quite different.

As an aside, I mentioned in some places my sexuality/religious community/first Gen immigrant experience but since my fam straight up said ‘I don’t believe you’ the internalized homophobia is back, stronger than ever. I hope no one asks me about it.

I agree 100% with the learned LizzyM.

In this day and age, where the unethical will try every means of gaining some points at interviews (such as magically discovering their Hispanic or Native American heritage upon applying), I strongly recommend that if you're outing yourself, you have walked the walk by having service to LGBT or other marginalized populations.

Agreed; it appears that OP has indeed "walked the walk" in this manner.