OUCOM question (help please!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwong112001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are two tracks at OUCOM. One is PCC. I understand that one very well. However, the other one is CPI which I have no clue what that is all about? If anybody knows what is it, please post a reply to this message.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I copied this from OU-COM's website.

Clinical Presentation Continuum
Overview

Since its inaugural class in 1974, OU-COM has offered its students a course of studies based upon the body's functional and anatomical systems. Known as the Systems-Based (S-B) curriculum, it consisted of a traditional two-year sequence of courses organized around basic science disciplines and body systems, followed by two years of clinical experiences in various medical specialties. In order to stay current with the progress in medical education, in 1997, the faculty at OU-COM began a comprehensive restructuring of its "traditional" program to meet the needs of the physician destined to practice medicine in the twenty-first century. In September, 1999, after several years of extensive study and collaborative planning, the Clinical Presentation Continuum (CPC) curriculum replaced the former S-B curriculum.

As its name implies, the Clinical Presentation Continuum (CPC) curriculum uses common patient presentations (e.g., cough, chest pain, etc.) as its fundamental organizing unit. Case studies and small group discussions are a prominent (although not the predominant) learning activity and are supplemented with lectures, structured laboratory exercises, and other large group activities. In the CPC curriculum, each case study and patient presentation is correlated with explicit, faculty-written learning objectives and activities defined by the case authors and curriculum organizers. Student performance assessment is based upon these faculty-determined objectives. The CPC curriculum is, therefore, fundamentally faculty-directed.

PCC - primarily problem based. Good if you are a disciplined, independent worker. This section has a lower pass rate (~83%).
Roughly 20-25 people are selected to participate.

CPC - primarily lecture based with some problem based. Traditional lectures. Good...if you are used to lecture learning. 80% of the class is in the CPC. Pass rating of (~94%). I think I'm going to stick to lecture learning and enroll in the CPC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a MS-II at OUCOM in the CPC -- let me give you a quick breakdown of how the CPC works:

Okay...your year is organized into blocks. For example, as an MS-I your first quarter will be divided into 3 blocks (Intro, Blood & Immunity, Derm). So, each of those blocks are usually 4-5 weeks (some, like derm, are shorter). Each block is composed of week-long modules which are usually named after a chief complaint. For example, I am now in the endocrine block - this week's module is entitled "Weight Change," next week is "Polyuria," so on and so forth.

So, for any given week, you will recieve lectures and labs for half the day (1st years in the a.m., 2nd years in the afternoon). The other half of the day you have off, excpet for Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is when you meet for CBL.

What the hell is CBL? Well, CBL is "Case-Based Learning." That's where you meet in groups of 8-10 students and one facilitator and discuss the week's fictitious cases. You will read through two entire cases (CC, HxCC, PMH, FMH, ROS, PE, etc.) As a group, you work up a differential dx for each case, then order labs, which are progressively disclosed by the facilitator. Hopefully, your group comes up with the correct dx. At that point, the group comes up with learning issues that the group wishes do address. The group members then work separately to resolve these issues (questions pertinent to the case) and work through them as a group the following meeting.

At the end or beginning of each week, the entire class meets for a 2hr fun-filled pimp-session/quiz called S&I (Synthesis & Integration). During S&I an expert panel addresses the class's questions regarding the past week's CBL cases, then they present an entirely new case, and a quiz is usually based on that new case (e.g. "Write down 3 labs you would order and why.")

In addition the CBL, you will also take part in ECCs (Early Clinical Contacts). You usually have 5-6 of these per quarter. These are 4 hr "clinicals." Every quarter you're assigned to a different preceptor in a different area, e.g. FP, IM, Surgery, etc.

Okay....as far as PCC goes....they basically do "CBL" type stuff ALL the time with little or no organized lectures. They are assessed completely differently than the CPC (different exams, etc.) I can't tell you much about the PCC, to be quite honest....we really don't know what they do (they're usually a weird bunch, so beware if you're thinking of going that route).

I hope this helps....feel free to ask any other questions about the curriculum.