OUCOM interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TraumaDR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone that has already interviewed at OU. Is there anything that I should give particular close attention to? I have heard that the interview is very laid back and it appears that way according to interview feedback. I am just real nervous, OU is one of my top choices! Its not for another week or so, I just want to be prepared. Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Well let's see...

You'll have at least 3 interviews...some people had an additional "interview" with Schriner if your class work isn't finished..etc.

You'll have your picture taken. Get ready for 3 head shots in a make shift studio.

BRING A WINTER JACKET! All the guys in my group forgot to bring one. Yes, you go outside for some of your tour.

Be prepared to find your interviewers office by yourself. The halls of Grosvenor are confusing. Watch out for the for the west wing of the building. (I think it's the west wing...just make sure you're in the correct wing!)

Bring a watch. After you have lunch, you're on your own. You're given an appointment card for your interviews. You're expected to be there on time.

Lunch was good...You get to talk with some students. Our group had 4 current students.

OU really pushes CORE. Don't be afraid to ask Schriner about board scores...this seems to be a big secret at OU.

Good Luck.

hey there....
hopefully you will be my classmate in the fall as i have already accepted my offer of admission to OUCOM. I am not a very good interviewer, but i was myself in all three interviews and i think all 3 interviewers liked me. 2 of the interviews were actually pretty tough (asked interesting questions) and i am definitely not the most concise person when i speak, but i said what i really felt and got my point across to all of them about who i am and what i believe in. I loved the interviews here not because they were necessarily stress free, but because they really just want to get to know YOU...and if the school is compatible with your philosophies and motivations, they will accept you. They're not trying to throw curve balls or stress you out in the interviews....it's more just conversational. BUT!!!!!, make sure to be aggressive, ask questions, let them know WHO YOU ARE. This is THE most important thing. I wish you luck and feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Jamie

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same interview date at OUCOM. I look forward to meet you there.

Jamie,

Do you know how likely am I going to be accepted there? I really like the school on paper. I am an out-state applicant. Is my chance higher when I got the interview invitation?

OUCOM's curriculum is very self directed. You will be given a large list of objectives at the beginning of every block and it is up to you to look up/ learn the material encompassed in them. Step 1 board scores, overall, for OUCOM were not great. Pass rate was 83%. This was due to a poor performance by the PCC group. The number of students passing Step 1 from CPC was unchanged from years prior. This being said, if you are a disciplined student who is willing to put the work in, then your scores etc. will reflect this. Our class had at least (4) people score in the 99th percentile. It's not where you go to school, it's what you put into it when you are there.
Best of luck.

jwong112001

I will see you there! good luck preparing. although i spoke with one of the MS-1s and she said that the interview was one of the easiest interview she had becuase they derived questions from her application instead of having generalized questions that everyone would received.

TraumaDR,

I hope we can both get in. I like the school very much, and you do too. However, before the road trip, I already encountered a negative sign. I accidently ordered my plane ticket in my english name while all my legal documents are under my Asian name. I spent a hundred dollars extra to fix the problem(Very, very angry). I wonder how do you plan to get there, and where are you going to stay the night before? I am staying in Ohio University Inn because it is the closest to the interview spot. It is pretty expensive doo. It cost me more than a hundred dollars after tax. Then, I need the Al Point to pick me up from Columbus Airport. That will cost me another $130 dollars. I am looking at a five hundred dollars road trip.

p.s. one more thing, do you know what is the chance of getting in for the out-state applicants?

jwong112001,

I hope we also both get in. I am sorry to hear about your flight problems. I am actually going to drive there. I have the luxury of being able to drive there and stay with friends. I have a few friends going to OU for undergrad as well as some MS-1's that are down there right now. So i actually lucked out, its going to be a cheap trip. As an out of stater i know things are somewhat difficult, but dont worry. If you have an interview then there is already something that they like about you. I think the acceptance for out of staters is only around 20%. The class i think is a little larger than 100 (113??) and out of staters are only around 20-25. However, just impress them at the interview and i am sure you will be fine. A lot of out of staters find that contract that you have to sign a deterent for going to the school. You are required to practice in the state of Ohio for 5 years after completing your medical schooling. If you fail to meet that agreement i think they charge you a huge fine. If you have any other questions either PM me or just respond to this thread.

I interviewed and was accepted this past summer at OU. I loved it there and I'll be attending this fall. I participated in the SURF program and was fortunate enough to live in Athens for the summer, so I could learn my way around town. Being that I'm an Illinois resident, I was pretty shocked that I got in because I know admissions can be difficult for any out-of-state student trying to gain admission to a public medical school. I was very impressed with OU and didn't want to go anywhere else. I signed the 5 contract without reservation. There is a $50,000 fine (5 years/$10000 per year) if you opt out of the contract, but it must be signed before you enroll. BTW, residency counts towards the 5 year contract. If you do your residency in a primary care, osteopathic residency in Ohio, they'll knock off 1.5 years for every 1 year of residency. If you decide on an allopathic residency, it's a 1-for-1 deal. I'm glad to hear that you guys are so far along in the admissions process. I hope you have nothing but success. BTW, John Schriner, the director of admissions, is such a cool guy. Don't hesitate to ask him questions. He's "super"-friendly. You'll be suprised. I never thought in a million years that I could honestly call the director of admissions a "friend" of mine, but at OU...you can! I think that's why I fell in love with the place. They make you feel welcome and at home. So...relax and have great interviews! If you need help with anything...any questions...whatever...don't hesistate to holler at me! Good luck with your interviews and I hope to see you at OU in the fall!!

Peace