OUCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a bit perturbed that OU hasn't gotten back to me yet...I sent in my stuff about 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing...my stats are good (3.63/31P, with good ECs and recs, and I'm in-state). My one worry was this: when I was mailing my app, the "Click and Ship" function of the USPS web site wouldn't recognize the address OU gave. I had to go to the post office and write out the address, so I'm a bit concerned about whether the application actually got there...did anyone else have issues like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting a bit perturbed that OU hasn't gotten back to me yet...I sent in my stuff about 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing...my stats are good (3.63/31P, with good ECs and recs, and I'm in-state). My one worry was this: when I was mailing my app, the "Click and Ship" function of the USPS web site wouldn't recognize the address OU gave. I had to go to the post office and write out the address, so I'm a bit concerned about whether the application actually got there...did anyone else have issues like this?

Why dont you call them and see if you are complete? If it makes you feel any better I have been complete at OU for around 3 weeks and have not heard anything, my stats are pretty decent and I am from Ohio as well.

I second calling them, they are typically very nice.

I also spoke with the admissions director not to long ago and he said they interview half of the class if not more after the holidays as OU closes for break starting at thanksgiving. Just thought I would throw that out there to make us all feel better.....come on OU!

Members don't see this ad :)

I was complete by early August and have heard nothing. Have fun. ;)

Yes! Got the invite today - I'm interviewing on November 14th. :D Perhaps the old theory about adcoms reading and acting on SDN posts is true after all lol. Unfortunately, the 14th is the same day as my KCOM interview, so I guess I'll be rescheduling that one since I'm in-state here...

Also, is it really true that OUCOM notifies applicants of admissions decisions by the following Monday? I think I remember seeing that on their website.

Yes! Got the invite today - I'm interviewing on November 14th. :D Perhaps the old theory about adcoms reading and acting on SDN posts is true after all lol. Unfortunately, the 14th is the same day as my KCOM interview, so I guess I'll be rescheduling that one since I'm in-state here...

Also, is it really true that OUCOM notifies applicants of admissions decisions by the following Monday? I think I remember seeing that on their website.

I received an interview today as well! I will also be interviewing on the 14th. I am not sure how long I have been complete at the school because I did not receive a notification when I was complete.

Congrats on the interview invite. It's true that they will notify your acceptance the following Monday. Depending who you interview with or so forth, you may even get the phone call that same evening with an acceptance.

I was complete by early August and have heard nothing. Have fun. ;)

Complete in July here...and still nothing, but my MCAT is pretty low. THat's probably why

when were you complete? I have been complete for about 3 weeks now and have not heard anything. I am really hoping for an interview but I have already been accepted to WVSOM so it would not be the end of the world. I am also a little weary about the 5 year commitment.

I sent my secondary/rec letters to them in mid-September, but I never received any further communications from them until now.

Complete in July here...and still nothing, but my MCAT is pretty low. THat's probably why

They should still fill you in on where you stand.

I sent my secondary/rec letters to them in mid-September, but I never received any further communications from them until now.
awesome, that means there is still a chance! I shlould be hearing in a week or so.

Ginny Valentine, a rep from OUCOM and also on the admissions committee, was just at my school. She said, as of now, there are only about 35 seats filled out of 120.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my interview invite in the mail on Friday. I sent my application in Oct. 20, so it took about 2 1/2 weeks or so. Is anyone else interviewing on November 21st?

Hey all...I'm a bit curious as to the number of hospitals/clinics/etc. in the Athens area; I say this because my wife is graduating from nursing school in December and needs to be able to find a nursing job so we can support ourselves while I'm in med school ;). I'm getting the impression that the school is very rural.....

Just got my interview invite in the mail on Friday. I sent my application in Oct. 20, so it took about 2 1/2 weeks or so. Is anyone else interviewing on November 21st?

Would you be able to share any stats on yourself. Just for those of us who just submitted and are really jealous of all of you....

IamAriDO

MCAT 27, Overall GPA 3.85, Science GPA 3.77.
Minor research experience
Shadowed a D.O. for a day
Over 150 hours volunteering at Planned Parenthood as an HIV counselor, seeing over 50 clients
Member of a couple of organizations
Numerous Scholarships/Awards

Overall I don't think my application is any stronger than anyone else's here. To IamAriDO, I think you will have no problem receiving an interview. Just remember to express how much you want to become a D.O. in your secondary. Good luck to everyone!

I hope so, I had a rough start to undergrad (2.5 freshman year) but have got a 3.7 since then through post-bacc (3.3 overall now) and a 3.68 sci average / 28 mcat. I hope that they will see the trend since that freshman year was six years ago at the point. That said I grew up with DO's in the family and shadowed a bunch, volunteered and am an EMT. Thank you for you kind words

IamAriDO

Hey all...I'm a bit curious as to the number of hospitals/clinics/etc. in the Athens area; I say this because my wife is graduating from nursing school in December and needs to be able to find a nursing job so we can support ourselves while I'm in med school ;). I'm getting the impression that the school is very rural.....

Athens is a very nice small city, but not completely rural. OU campus makes up most of Athens. Off the top of my head, I do know that of one hospital in Athens - O'bleness Memorial hospital (this is one of the possible CORE site). There's also Appalacian Behavioral Health Center in Athens. I don't know what she's certified in, but besides the hospitals, there are clinics and private physician's office that your wife could work in while at Athens.

ughh, i mailed in my secondary to OU back in the beginning of September, and I called them in October and found out I was complete and my application was currently under review.

and now, early November? nothing.

...this waiting game is painful.

same, ive been complete for around 4 weeks, nothing...
and now that they will be closed from thanksgiving till new years i may not hear from them for a LONG time. :(

same, ive been complete for around 4 weeks, nothing...
and now that they will be closed from thanksgiving till new years i may not hear from them for a LONG time. :(

ughh, i mailed in my secondary to OU back in the beginning of September, and I called them in October and found out I was complete and my application was currently under review.

and now, early November? nothing.

...this waiting game is painful.
Not really sure. I sent in my 2ndary the first week of September. I heard back from them two weeks later for an interview. Not really sure what's going on. Then again I am having these issues with other schools where my colleagues have heard back and have similar stats to me, and I haven't heard a word. The whole process is totally weird. What are your stats like if you don't mind me asking?

So I interviewed on Friday...LOVED the school, LOVED the campus, felt the interviews went great, etc. I really want to go here.

However, I didn't get any sort of acceptance email from them this morning, so I'm assuming bad news :confused:.

Has anyone else heard back yet?

So I interviewed on Friday...LOVED the school, LOVED the campus, felt the interviews went great, etc. I really want to go here.

However, I didn't get any sort of acceptance email from them this morning, so I'm assuming bad news :confused:.

Has anyone else heard back yet?

did they say how long it would take to hear back from them?

Supposedly, if you are accepted you are either given a phone call in the evening on Friday or an email early Monday morning.

I've received neither and I spoke to another interviewee I met on Friday who got an acceptance email this morning...hah. So I guess I've been put in my place.

i interviewed on the 21st and just got the acceptance. Phew, glad that whole process is over!

I interviewed the 21st as well and received my acceptance this morning!!

krissinator who is you? I was wearing a purple shirt.:banana: this reminds me of the peanut butter jelly time song on family guy, when brian dresses like a banana. GREAT

Congratulations on those who were recently accepted! :D Don't forget to fill out the interview feedback on SDN, to help others who are on their ways to interviewing at OU.

Last edited:
While interviewing, did anyone hear if they are still inviting people or is all booked up, mostly? Thanks for any insight.

Purple shirt? I can't believe I don't remember that. I just remember people's faces more than anything. I was the girl wearing the dress thing. I'm going to have peanut butter jelly time stuck in my head all night now :p

As for the interviews, I'm sure they are still inviting people! I'm pretty sure they continue throughout the spring.

They are surely still interviewing

Just got an email to interview on the fifth of december.....wohooo!!!

I am open to anyone providing advice, insight and suggestions.

Hoping to join all of those already accepted
IamAriDO

Just relax during the interview process; the interview is more of a conversation about you and your accomplishments, rather than a group of interviewers trying to drill you and push you to the edge of your sanity. My interview at OU was a quite enjoyable experience and the admissions department recommends that you "chill" and allow the interviewers to really get to know YOU rather than your stats. Think of it this way, if you've been invited to the interview, you're already over the biggest hurdle. I think that most of us that have interviewed at OU would agree. Best wishes and make the most of your interview day.

If anybody has any match lists from OUCOM, I'd really appreciate it if you could post them or links to them in the FAQs thread. I'm trying to compile an easily accessible list, but I can't find info for OUCOM. Thanks! :)

hey burning river i also interviewed on the 21st and got accepted i cant remember if you were the person that i sat next to at lunch, i was the WC guy. congrats though on the acceptance.

a note to everybody else who interviews there just be as relaxed as possible it is incredibly laid back and actually quite fun.

nice! yea, that was me. I am probably going to attend next fall and am looking forward to hopefully meeting all of you again under less stressful circumstances. Congrats on your acceptance as well!

BurninRiver, nice avatar.

I plan on enjoying a few Christmas Ales myself this weekend.

It's been a couple of months since I interviewed and I have to admit I miss the gang back at OU, especially Ginny Valentine & John Shriner. They were all so nice, warm, and enthusiastic. If any of them are lurking around SDN, I hope they have a great holidays!!

I really can't sing enough praises about OU.

I love me some christmas ale, the only problem is how expensive it is.

anyone been hearing from OU over the last couple weeks? still have heard nothing from them..even though heard from almost all my others already.

Does anyone remember the presentation about the OUCOM's summer scholars program for minorities. Anyone recall if this is only offered to applicants that didnt get accepted this cycle or do they offer this program for accepted applicants as well. I thought it would be a great way to familiar myself with the city and the campus before the semester officialy started.

I participated in Summer Scholars a few years ago and we didn't have anyone that was already accepted into medical school. I believe all accepted students can participate in Pre-Matric. Have you already been accepted?

I participated in Summer Scholars a few years ago and we didn't have anyone that was already accepted into medical school. I believe all accepted students can participate in Pre-Matric. Have you already been accepted?

Hmm that must be the program that I was thinking about, not the summer scholars then. I just remember there was some sort of summer program for accepted students. Yes, Im in OUCOM's class of 2013! When does pre-matric start?

Hmm that must be the program that I was thinking about, not the summer scholars then. I just remember there was some sort of summer program for accepted students. Yes, Im in OUCOM's class of 2013! When does pre-matric start?

I believe pre-matriculation starts in early July.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has heard back from OUCOM that is out of state.
I've been complete since mid-November and I've heard back from pretty much all of the other schools I applied to. OUCOM is one of my top choices so I'm starting to get a bit nervous.
Thanks.

anyone know more abot the bridge program? what are the pros/cons. i am really interested in this one.:)

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has heard back from OUCOM that is out of state.
I've been complete since mid-November and I've heard back from pretty much all of the other schools I applied to. OUCOM is one of my top choices so I'm starting to get a bit nervous.
Thanks.

I also have not heard anything (they won't even let me know if I'm complete or not, even though I've contacted them a couple times about it). I'm beginning to think of just writing them off at this point.

I'm from Illinois and I was complete on 12-5. I have an interview scheduled for Jan. 16th. I wouldn't worry too much about the timeframe. I think my app moved pretty fast because I completed their Summer Scholars program.

i was just wondering how far in advance they were scheduling the interviews...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.