OU or UT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fitzy22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
im about to graduate from high school and am an aspiring physical therapist, however im stuck on what school i should start with. OU has a masters program in physical therapy where you take your general education classes with an emphasis in biology, chemistry etc. then after two or more years you apply to OU health center where you recieve your masters. Or at UT i can graduate four years with any major, such as biology, and apply to a seperate medical school. I am not sure what to do since i got into both schools. I know UT is harder to get into and a more "accredited" school but OU and OU health center has a physical therapy program which is ranked in USAnews 2004 graduate school rankings. anything will help thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to PT school right now; my advice would be to go to the school that offers the DPT. The physcial therapy world is moving into a direction where by 2020 all physical therapists will have a DPT.
Also from what I have heard about rankings, they are ranked on things that do not really matter clinically.
To be honest with you, with the demand for physical therapists right now, you do not need to worry about getting a job (or which school will give you the better chance of getting one). Usually employeers will look to see that you are certified, they really do not care which school you went to as long as you have that peice of paper.
Hope that helps.

I am applying to PT school right now; my advice would be to go to the school that offers the DPT. The physcial therapy world is moving into a direction where by 2020 all physical therapists will have a DPT.
Also from what I have heard about rankings, they are ranked on things that do not really matter clinically.
To be honest with you, with the demand for physical therapists right now, you do not need to worry about getting a job (or which school will give you the better chance of getting one). Usually employeers will look to see that you are certified, they really do not care which school you went to as long as you have that peice of paper.
Hope that helps.

Generally, I too agree. Many current employers are just happy to fill positions based on the fact you: A.) have a license, and B.) have a pulse. On the other hand, there is market for PTs with great critical thinking skills rather than just technical skills. Quality of care & clinical reputation do matter. Who wants to be the clueless PT? (Believe me, they do exist.) In fact, my clinical director is seeking what he titles 'advance-skilled' PTs for complex case management and triaging to PTs with less knowledge & skills. The job description includes DPT who has completed a residency & fellowship for the specified clinical practice area. In doing research for this position, our program is not unique, and I think will be a growing trend. Finally, the cost of education is certainly not going down.. yet another aspect to consider.