OU-COM and UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwong112001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My applications for both schools completed in early december. I wonder if they will review right away or wait till January to make a decision on me?

Members don't see this ad.

My file at OUCOM has been complete since late november. I still havent heard anything and I am an instater! so we just have to sit tight and relax :rolleyes:

I just interviewed at OU on Dec 4th and was waitlisted...At that time, their class was 50% full...OU only interviews 4 days a month. As much as I dearly love OU, I'm not positive that I would attend there if I am pulled off the waitlist. I have some unsettling concerns. Oh and if you are waitlisted, the committee meets in mid-April...So you won't know anything until then.

As for UHS, I interviewed in early October and was accepted. I do know that their seats are getting tight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the admissions committees of these schools on vacation already? Thereby, they will postpone any review until the mid. of January.

The last day for interivews in December at OU is Dec 18th

I wonder if they are reviewing students for January interview right now or they are going to wait for January to do so?

Doctortobee

Just wondering...since you were so positive on OUCOM before, I'm wondering what your "unsettling concerns" are now that you are on the waitlist?

Well I have been talking with a few OU students...From what I've been told, many of the students don't like the curriculum. I LOVED OU...but now I'm thinking that I was only interested in the CORE program...Comparing OU to other schools, the facilities are outdated, the students seem more stressed than the other schools I visited...and my doctor has told me that there are politics everywhere, but more so at OU...

I was also a little peeved that they gave me an interview, told me the loved me and where very impressed with me, but waitlisted my because of my MCAT scores...Well obviously my file/scores had to be acceptable or they wouldn't have granted me an interview. So if they didn't like my scores and know I can't change them, why did they even bother give me an interview knowing my scores weren't good enough for them. I honestly felt that that wasted my time and theirs.

So now I don't know...They are trying to compete with Ohio MD schools and it's not working...

Doctortobee, can you tell me your most recent MCAT score if you don't mind? I just want to know what I stand? Here is my crendential.

Graduated at Loyola University
Biochemistry major
cum gpa 3.93
science gpa 3.93
verbal 5
physical 10
biological 9
writing N
a year and a half volunteering service at UIC hospital
shadowed with a d.o. doctor.
not an Ohioan resident.
many honors and recogitions (Phi Beta Kappa, Golden Key, Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian in high school, Chemistry departmental honor, and many more).
a lot of scholarships (presidential scholarship, valedictorian scholarship, and science fair scholarship are some of the noticeable ones)

This thread isn't about credentials and I'm not taking the time to post them

I understand. D.O.s are not all for crendential anyway. That's why I am so restless about it. I am very sorry if I have offended you in anyway.

Doctortobee, don't get me worry. I am not trying to show off or anything like that. I mean the one who should be shown off is definitely you since you already got accepted to somewhere. As for me, I am still an outsider. I went to UIC and Midwestern for interviews, but they both put me on the waiting list, so I am no better than any people who trying to get in at the moment. I do wish you the best of luck, and thanks for all details you provided in this post.

Don't worry about it...

Doctortobee, feel free to write any info. regards OU-COM to me. I kind of like to get in there.

jwong,

since nobody else will comment on your statistics, I will. Other than your verbal MCAT score, you make an excellent candidate on paper. If I can make the assumption that English is not your native language, then I must say that you are an excellent candidate. Your GPA is probably in the 90th percentile or higher for DO applicants. Your MCAT of 24N shows that you can perform well on the standardized test, and in my opinion, your N tells me that you have no problem communicating your ideas in writing. I wouldn't worry about anything except that you applied very late. This indicates to me that you were either very lazy in getting your AACOMAS app out, or had applied only to AMCAS and didn't get in anywhere. If you truly want to be a physician, your numbers are more than enough to get you into the DO school of your choice. It just may not be this year.

Good luck to you, and happy holidays!

WBDO

thanks for your posting. I actually got caught up with a couple of schools. That why some of my applications were completed so late. I applied to UIC for early decision, so I was not able to apply to any allopathic schools until they gave me the decision. They put me on the waiting list after the interview. As for osteopathic schools, I applied to Midwestern, Michigan State, Ohio University, and Nova very early. I went to the interview at Midwestern, and they had also put me on the waiting list. I declined my application for Michigan State after I found out their tuition cost for non-resident (expensive). Nova rejected me (even though I did not get a formal rejection) because they do not grant interview to applicants that have a score below 6 in any categories. As for Ohio U, they had misplaced my letters of recommendation to a different file, so my application was not completed until most recently. I added The University of Health Sciences and PCOM to my list. The application for the one down in Missouri was completed three weeks ago, but I have not heard anything from them since. I sent out my secondary for PCOM a week and a half ago. I think the letters will be there shortly. You see I have good reasons why I am in such a desperate situation as I am in right now.

JWong,
I believe I sent in my secondary app to UHS in Kansas City in the beginning of January 2002, and they sent me an invitation for an interview within 3 weeks of receiving my material. I found out that I was accepted two weeks later. So, let that be hope to you. You still have a chance.

Thanks for your input on UHS. I hope I can hear from them soon.

Doctortobee,
Thanks for the reply. I agree...that's not cool that the sole reason they waitlisted you is the mcat...but, don't loose hope they interviewed you because you were a great candidate and maybe they had some cutoff score that they waitlisted people at, but will accept them later.

Jwong,
I was accepted at OU in november and I loved the school...all the students I met were very happy with the education they are receiving and the faculty are very helpful. As far as stats, my gpa is high and my mcat went very well (If you need to know stats, pm me) Are you out of state? It may be tough to get in to OU as an out of stater.

I think your gpa is amazing! congrats! I think your mcat looks good too...i think they are most concerned with the science sections. If you are seriously interested call Mr. Schriner at OU and express your continued interest...it may land an interview. If you have anymore questions feel free to post them or pm me.:D

Dreamin,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, I am an out-of-state student. I just find out from Jill Harman that my application is still under review. She told me that they will continue to review applicants until the New Year arrives. Furthermore, I kind of sense that they are interested on mcat science sections from Jill. I really not sure if I can get in with the stat I have since I am not an Ohioan resident.