General Admissions & OTCAS OTD Acceptances- Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureotd336

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I currently am deciding between University of Pittsburgh, Thomas Jefferson, and Boston University. Due to the pandemic, I have not been able to visit. I love BU on paper, but I'm not sure how I will handle Boston winters along with the steep tuition cost. TJU I like the location, but I was not impressed with their fieldwork opportunities. I went to Pitt for undergrad, and I love the school, but I'm worried about ability to network closer to the east coast. If anyone has any insight/advice please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I currently am deciding between University of Pittsburgh, Thomas Jefferson, and Boston University. Due to the pandemic, I have not been able to visit. I love BU on paper, but I'm not sure how I will handle Boston winters along with the steep tuition cost. TJU I like the location, but I was not impressed with their fieldwork opportunities. I went to Pitt for undergrad, and I love the school, but I'm worried about ability to network closer to the east coast. If anyone has any insight/advice please let me know!

I was on the same boat as you and it is a tough tough choice. I think ultimately you have to ask what you value the most. Is it to have a great networking system (depending on what you want to do in the future as an OT)? Or is it to come out of grad school not in crazy debt (state school vs. private school and whether rent is affordable)? Or is it how the program is designed (will it help you learn and pass the NBCOT)? Or do you like the area you will be in?

For me it was the cost, so I chose my state school, which happen to also had a high pass rate for the exam and I've heard great things about it. I wasn't as worried about the networking and I didn't want to be in an obscene amount of debt when I graduate. Sorry if this isn't as helpful, but this was my thought process when I went through this.

Good luck!

I know someone who graduated from Pitt’s OT program and she told me the curriculum is VERY geriatric heavy as that is what most of the professors research. If that’s not an area of interest, another school might be better for you!