OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 4 users
I made veggie fajitas this week with seasoned seitan (which I like to pronounce as satan personally). I used onions, bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash.

Omg so healthy and delicious in a matter of minutes.

h0FJSY5.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in on the "looking for suggestions" bandwagon. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but my stock menu last school year consisted mostly of a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the deli section that I could part out, bagged salad, and the flavoured rice pouches that you microwave. There were other things, but that was honestly the majority of my dinner plans along with a breakfast smoothie and lean cuisine frozen lunches. I'm a reasonable cook but I don't enjoy it, and then you add on the lack of time, fighting for time and space in a shared kitchen, and a tight grocery budget and that's where I wound up. Hoping to work on that this year....

I make a good bit of stuff from Budget Bytes (Budget Bytes - Delicious Recipes Designed for Small Budgets) - I've got a few staples that I make fairly frequently (beef + cabbage stir fry, sushi bowls, bibimbap). There are some things on there that I won't even try because they sound terrible, so be your own judge. Smitten Kitchen has prettier food, but it's often more fussy in terms of ingredients and prep, but there are amazing and easy: sweet potato tacos

Reactions: 1 user
I use this website ALL the time: Skinnytaste
Favorites:
- Chicken taco chili
- Santa fe zucchini boats
- Broccoli mac and cheese
- Greek turkey burgers
... I'm sure there are others but those are my main dishes

Reactions: 1 users
I made spaghetti today, and since I learned how to make spaghetti from my nana, I unintentionally made spaghetti for at least 6 today... maybe more...

But I made spaghetti, and bought a garlic cheese sauce for it, Italian sausage, and garlic cheesey bread. It was really good and I’m in a food coma now. :biglove:

Reactions: 3 users
I made a veggie Persian stew tonight (maaaaybe did some research to try to woo somebody)

DAL ADAS دال عدس

My changes were adding a handful of kale and using sweet potato instead of regular potato. Havent actually eaten yet but the taste tests during the process were phenomenal if I do say so myself

Edit: yep, it's fantastic.

Attachments

• 20180825_194639_Burst01.jpg
    20180825_194639_Burst01.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I made a veggie Persian stew tonight (maaaaybe did some research to try to woo somebody)

DAL ADAS دال عدس

My changes were adding a handful of kale and using sweet potato instead of regular potato. Havent actually eaten yet but the taste tests during the process were phenomenal if I do say so myself

Edit: yep, it's fantastic.
That looks amazzziiinnnggg.

Members don't see this ad :)
My partner made a tofu dish resembling the sofritas from chipotle yesterday. So good with some rice, beans, and avocado. It was actually inadvertently vegan as well as gluten free. Delish.

I am def going to check those out!

They are pretty tasty-I find that that two muffins keep me going all morning until my lunch break. If I have something like cereal, I feel hangry by like 9 :p.

Gonna be making these tonight or tomorrow, I'm also gonna be making Turkey Spinach Mozzerella meatballs... so good!

They are pretty tasty-I find that that two muffins keep me going all morning until my lunch break. If I have something like cereal, I feel hangry by like 9 :p.

Gonna be making these tonight or tomorrow, I'm also gonna be making Turkey Spinach Mozzerella meatballs... so good!
I think I have most of the ingredients to make them, except chocolate chips. I'm not sure how the protein powder I have would work out in them but it's worth a shot!

Ooh... recipe please?

Turkey, Spinach, and Mozzerella Meatballs

• 1 lb ground turkey

• 1 egg

• ¼ cup bread crumbs

• ½ cup baby spinach, chopped

• ¼ cup mozzerella, cut into ½ inch cubes

• 1 tsp dried oregano

• 1 tsp dried basil

• ½ tsp pepper

• ½ tsp salt

• 1 tsp garlic powder or fresh garlic (1-2 cloves, pressed/minced)

• ⅛ cup finely chopped onion

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Form 1 inch meatballs and place on a baking sheet. Bake @350 deg. F for 15-20 minutes

I think I have most of the ingredients to make them, except chocolate chips. I'm not sure how the protein powder I have would work out in them but it's worth a shot!

I use an unflavored protein powder made by Cabot. I think it works well, but I'm sure a vanilla flavored one would work ok too!

Any advice on how to go about meal prepping? I'm not sure how lunches in vet school go but I figure I could save a lot of money and eat more nutritiously if I make frozen meals to eat. I'm also thinking of trying to learn how to make gluten free bread as well as other baked good for breakfast that I can freeze.

Any advice on how to go about meal prepping? I'm not sure how lunches in vet school go but I figure I could save a lot of money and eat more nutritiously if I make frozen meals to eat. I'm also thinking of trying to learn how to make gluten free bread as well as other baked good for breakfast that I can freeze.

I'm not in vet school but I try to meal prep as much as I can and when I have the energy for it. I try to do it on a weekend when I don't have to worry about work, which is usually Sunday. It can take some time to do if you're trying to get a week's worth or more. Helps to figure out what you may want to eat for the week in advance so that you know you have the ingredients or if you need to do a shopping trip.

During the summer, I often eat salads for lunch, so I will make a batch of hard boiled eggs and just slice them up and add to my salad. I bought these cute little to go salad dressing bottles that are perfect to stick in a lunch bag. They are a squeeze bottle and hold about 2 oz I think. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I have also seen them at the dollar store (yay for cheap!)

During the colder months (which where I live is easily half the year or more), I usually make soups or chili in my crock pot. If I think I won't eat it all within the week, I'll freeze a portion of it for later use. I will also portion out stir fry type meals in containers so that I can just grab and zap in microwave.

Breakfast wraps are good to make a head of time as well.

I made something called a buddha bowl tonight because I was craving pad thai but wanted something healthier

Was it REALLY healthier...? I don't know

Yes, broccoli, carrots, tofu, brown rice.. those are all the makings of a healthy meal
But the sauce was really rich. I think it needs maybe 1/2 of the sauce only.
Fun fact: I really don't care much for peanut butter. Peanut sauce is OK if it isn't too strong, which this one kinda was.

Also I forgot to buy garbanzo beans. My "Substitute" was throwing some cashews on top for texture purposes more than anything.

Grilled cheese and veggies here. At least there were veggies...?

I'm making a lot of stuff from Run Fast, Eat Slow and Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow lately. The soba noodle salad with peanut sauce is great, I've made it a few times. Tried the quinoa breakfast thing with molasses and peaches - tasty, but didn't keep me fully any longer than my usual cold cereal. Planning on the Thai quinoa salad later this week.

I make the laziest pasta sauce in the world but I swear it is better than any of the canned stuff at the store. Like, I legit will only eat two pasta sauces from a can... truffle & porcini, or pumpkin (speaking of which, fall is almost here, which means it's almost time for pumpkin sauce once again :love: now that stuff I have not figured out how to replicate)

Anyways

1 diced onion but probably not the whole thing
Some amount of minced garlic
Two 28z cans crushed fire roasted tomatoes
Salt
Pepper
Italian seasoning
Olive oil

just fry the onion in olive oil for a bit, add the garlic, fry a little more, add the tomatoes, season, bring to a boil, then simmer

SO LAZY. BUT SO GOOD.

You made adult mac & cheese, and my dinner plans were Doritos. I feel like one of us is doing better at life these days, and it's probably not me.... :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
I reheated some pizza from breakfast. Ordered a hot chocolate from McDonald’s but they gave me a cup of steamed milk so I ended up making hot chocolate to go with my pizza. I am quite proficient with my microwave.

I reheated some pizza from breakfast. Ordered a hot chocolate from McDonald’s but they gave me a cup of steamed milk so I ended up making hot chocolate to go with my pizza. I am quite proficient with my microwave.
I made a nice bowl of frozen Mac n cheese last night and slaved over some freshly defrosted and cooked French fries for dinner

I made a nice bowl of frozen Mac n cheese last night and slaved over some freshly defrosted and cooked French fries for dinner
I admire your skills. I can only dream of one day being able to make freshly defrosted and cooked French fries. Can’t say I’m too fond of Mac and cheese unless it’s with pesto sauce :laugh:

This I concur with. There was too much cheese in my mac and cheese.

I am really excited for I have ingredients to make butternut squash manchego grilled cheese. I think that will be my venture tomorrow
Can you actually do that to a grilled cheese? I’ve never heard of making grilled cheese with anything other than bread and cheese.

I bought a cooking book specifically for 2 people so it’s not a recipe awkwardly divided into like 6ths.

So Walmart had NY strips on sale for like $7 because they had a lot and needed to sell them before they expired, so I’m making that and red potatoes with a parsley sauce!!!

I’ll let y’all know how it goes when I start cooking it after my workout! :)

B8D87A06-3749-403D-B289-7E9D2179733F.jpeg

I bought a cooking book specifically for 2 people so it’s not a recipe awkwardly divided into like 6ths.

So Walmart had NY strips on sale for like $7 because they had a lot and needed to sell them before they expired, so I’m making that and red potatoes with a parsley sauce!!!

I’ll let y’all know how it goes when I start cooking it after my workout! :)

View attachment 240135
What is this book? I needs.

What is this book? I needs.
It’s called “The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook: 650 Recipes for Everything You'll Ever Want to Make” I’d share a link from the amazon page, but SDN doesn’t let you do that.

Reactions: 1 users
...you've
Never had tomato on a grilled cheese? Or avocado?
Tomatoes belong in hell and I’ve never tasted an avocado before so no, I’ve never placed those food items on grilled cheese. I don’t mess with perfection.