This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTOtter

Reaction score
Hi, I'm posting this in both the OT and SLP forums for feedback:

Can anyone give me some insight into the pros and cons of OT vs Speech (financial especially)?

Background: I’m a pre-OT student but feeling very lost. My college doesn’t really have any other students pursuing OT and my professors don’t know much about it so I am kind of muddling through it without much guidance.

When I first looked up OT in NY, I saw salaries that were around $90k. Now a few years later, I’m seeing OTs making only $65k so I don’t know which to believe. I’m in my senior year, one class away from finishing all my pre-OT requisites, and I’m about to start shadowing in a few days. Is it smarter to drop pre-OT and get my post-bacc in Speech Language Pathology instead to increase my earning potential?

Members don't see this ad.

I think financially all the therapies are not big money makers. SLP seems to have more jobs where I am at. It will depend on the setting you work in. I currently make about 100k as an OT but I work for it.