General Admissions & OTCAS OT prereqs - Human Anatomy and Physio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rereot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently a third year undergraduate student and trying to go for the masters program for OT after I graduate. I looked up the prereqs for the grad schools and found out that many schools have the prereqs that I am going to take/have already taken. However, my problem is that I got both C 's in my human anatomy and physiology. I just looked up some other threads on OT, and what most people said that having C 's will never get me into the masters program for OT. So, I am planning to retake these classes so that I can get better grades. However, my current college do not let students to retake courses if it is C or better. Does this mean I have to retake in other community college and then transfer it to my current college? I am pretty sure it won't be transferable because I already have C 's and I am not allowed to retake it. Does anyone know how to work this out? When would be a good time to retake it? I also have a B in one of my psychology class. Should I just keep this or consider retaking it?

I should've paid more attention to my grades :( It feels like I just wasted my time during the past years..
Any advice or thoughts on what I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am currently a third year undergraduate student and trying to go for the masters program for OT after I graduate. I looked up the prereqs for the grad schools and found out that many schools have the prereqs that I am going to take/have already taken. However, my problem is that I got both C 's in my human anatomy and physiology. I just looked up some other threads on OT, and what most people said that having C 's will never get me into the masters program for OT. So, I am planning to retake these classes so that I can get better grades. However, my current college do not let students to retake courses if it is C or better. Does this mean I have to retake in other community college and then transfer it to my current college? I am pretty sure it won't be transferable because I already have C 's and I am not allowed to retake it. Does anyone know how to work this out? When would be a good time to retake it? I also have a B in one of my psychology class. Should I just keep this or consider retaking it?

I should've paid more attention to my grades :( It feels like I just wasted my time during the past years..
Any advice or thoughts on what I can do?

Most colleges will let you retake a class that you've gotten a C or better in but you have to fill out a petition to request permission. I had to do this for the stats requirement. My advice would be to plead your case and if someone tells you no, figure out who you can speak to above that person (a dean, Vice President, etc). If this still doesn't work then yes you should take the courses somewhere else. I don't think you have to worry about your credits transferring in to your undergrad....they don't care if those courses went towards your degree, so long as you took them and received a grade.

Not sure about the psych course; it does seem to be getting more and more competitive each year.

Most colleges will let you retake a class that you've gotten a C or better in but you have to fill out a petition to request permission. I had to do this for the stats requirement. My advice would be to plead your case and if someone tells you no, figure out who you can speak to above that person (a dean, Vice President, etc). If this still doesn't work then yes you should take the courses somewhere else. I don't think you have to worry about your credits transferring in to your undergrad....they don't care if those courses went towards your degree, so long as you took them and received a grade.

Not sure about the psych course; it does seem to be getting more and more competitive each year.

So you mean if I cannot repeat those courses in my current college, then I can take it somewhere else and still transfer the grades right? But my overall GPA would be calculated with my C 's? Do the grad schools look at the course with the higher grade even when it was not counted in my GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you mean if I cannot repeat those courses in my current college, then I can take it somewhere else and still transfer the grades right? But my overall GPA would be calculated with my C 's? Do the grad schools look at the course with the higher grade even when it was not counted in my GPA?

Some programs take the higher grade. However, OTCAS does calculate both grades but schools do look at progress. I had to retake Anatomy, Physiology, and Statistics because more than 5 years had passed. I also had gotten a C in my phys class the first time so I made sure to get an A the second time around. Definitely communicate with the programs you are interested in.

I retook A&P at a community college after taking them for my undergraduate coursework. OT schools generally do not care because not every education system is the same- not every school offers A&P with labs. . The schools that do not utilize OTCAS even have forms where you record the course, grade, and institute. Schools may take the average but I don't usually see that. Classes you took at community college doesn't necessarily need to be transfer to your undergraduate if you don't need to. Schools will request each transcript per institution when you apply for occupational therapy school.