OT: Comebacks to racist remarks about Indians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatsal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dealing with Racism requires it's own set of skills. Unless you can realistically assess getting physically injured which will be rare, don't be polite, fight back with these comebacks. Remember the vast majority of non Indians are not racist despite what the media likes to project. However, if you should hear racist or racially insensitive remarks like the ones below, here is one way to respond

1. Racist: "Learn to speak English in America"
Desi " How many languages do you speak?"

2. Racist: "You guys smell of curry."
Desi :"You smell of Spam and Hamburger Helper"

3. Racist: "Do they really have the caste system in India"
Desi: "Yes, it's similar to the wide racism that exists in this country."

4. Racist: "Why do you guys all work in 7-11's."
Desi: "We own those 7-11's but are smart enough to run them ourselves as opposed to hiring some stoned American to work the counter."

5. Racist: "Why do you have arranged marriages."
Desi: Why do you have to live with someone for 5 years before getting married and then divore 2 years later.

6. Racist: "You should be glad we let you in this country"
Desi: "It's not my fault tiy would rather watch NASCAR instead of study to become a doctor/engineer."

7. Racist: "You guys are just motel owners, cab drivers and 7-11 workers
Desi: Actually, the average Indian in American earns 67,000 per year which is higher than any ethnic or racial group in existence.

8. Racist: "Why are you guys so short. It seems like every Indian person is so short.
Desi "I don't know. Why are you people so fat and always on Weight Watchers commercials?

9. Racist: "Why is your name so long. How the hell am I supposed to pronounce this."
Desi: "Look I know it's not Bill or Fred but just try your best. I know you guys don't get out much.

10. Racist: Why do you guys only hang out with Indians?
Desi: Why do you guys only hang out with white,black people?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry if you have actually been the victim of racism. Know that you have plenty of allies of all races who won't stand for it. Reverse racism does not help, however, it makes matters worse. Some of these are pretty offensive.

it's sad that racism exists, but responding to ignorant with equally racist remarks only perpetuates the problem. if it does happen to you, handle it with class...

Members don't see this ad :)
cbenedic said:
i.. if it does happen to you, handle it with class...
..Give a big smile, wiggle your a$$.. :p

There is nothing good about racism. As a person of Indian origin and as someone who looks very hispanic lets just say I've had my share of experiences of being targeted by a wide array of racists, starting from drunks on the street to police officers. I admit it is very dehumanizing.... nonetheless, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from turning it into a two way diatribe. For one, in my experience people who are racists aren't too bright to begin with, hence they are unlikely to understand any arguments you make. Second, and most importantly, this makes you look very desparate to seek validation and acceptance... which really isn't something anyone needs.
Which is not to say that you should stay quiet at all times. If you are being threatned physically, make sure you notify the authorities right away; also, if you are infact being treated unfairly by a person in power (employer, police officer etc) make sure you keep your cool gather up evidence and then unleash hell upon them. But other than that just stay calm and walk away.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Dude, you are the ULTIMATE fob.

hahaha

wow! Those were Awesome!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

Does not anybody recognize that this is supposed to be funny? omfg.

Still. :D :D

Does not anybody recognize that this is supposed to be funny? omfg.

Still. :D :D

It's too offensive to be funny. His intentions are clearly hostile, not jocular.

It's too offensive to be funny. His intentions are clearly hostile, not jocular.

Aw come 'on, you're the kind of guy to get offended by the Chappelle's Show or Mind of Mencia.

Aw come 'on, you're the kind of guy to get offended by the Chappelle's Show or Mind of Mencia.

The difference between the OP and Dave Chappelle is that Dave Chappelle is actually funny and doesn't deliver jokes rife with hostility as an attack, but out of good-humored wit and humility. To be honest, it's just looking like he made this thread to say offensive, prejudiced, and racist things that he couldn't say to Americans (probably white Americans) to their faces. Because, again - it's inappropriate.

My indian friends (and asian, and persian) and I throw around a lot of racial humor. You know what the difference is? We're all laughing, and we didn't put it up on a billboard. You ask a persian friend where he parked his camel when he gets to a restaurant? Funny. You post a bunch of racist retorts to racist slurs on a public forum? Offensive. Sure, it's subjective, but there are plenty of people on this thread that agree with me, it appears.

Indians do face racism in the United States, as do many other (personally, I'd argue all other) groups.

I believe that a huge step for all groups to work to change this is to refuse to fight racism with racism.

If the original questions in this post, like 'why do you have arranged marriages?' and 'do you really have the caste system?' are RACIST, then the responses he offers are RACIST.

It seems to me that the original questions and the responses are quite similar. Surely anyone who says one is just as racist as one who says the other, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dealing with Racism requires it's own set of skills. Unless you can realistically assess getting physically injured which will be rare, don't be polite, fight back with these comebacks. Remember the vast majority of non Indians are not racist despite what the media likes to project. However, if you should hear racist or racially insensitive remarks like the ones below, here is one way to respond

Desi: "We own those 7-11's but are smart enough to run them ourselves as opposed to hiring some stoned American to work the counter."

Desi: Why do you have to live with someone for 5 years before getting married and then divore 2 years later.

Desi: "It's not my fault tiy would rather watch NASCAR instead of study to become a doctor/engineer."

Desi: Actually, the average Indian in American earns 67,000 per year which is higher than any ethnic or racial group in existence.

8. Racist: "Why are you guys so short. It seems like every Indian person is so short.
Desi "I don't know. Why are you people so fat and always on Weight Watchers commercials?

9. Racist: "Why is your name so long. How the hell am I supposed to pronounce this."
Desi: "Look I know it's not Bill or Fred but just try your best. I know you guys don't get out much.

I also want to suggest to be careful jumping to conclusions when asked questions, as there are a couple questions here, and others I've heard asked, that are interpreted as racist, while they were intended as honest questions about culture. Not knowing about Indian culture does not constitute racism. There are people out there that just don't know and would like to learn some -- it's called interest and open-mindedness. Do you fully understand all the cultures and histories you will be working with in medicine, much less ithat are in the world? I doubt it, because it's quite impossible. People can spend their lives studying one culture.

This country doesn't have a history of arranged marriage. And while this country (like most in the world) has a long history of established and ingrained racism, there actually is not a caste system in the sense of the word in India. You're getting a chance to learn about culture here, why shouldn't people be curious about yours? An honest question seems better and more interesting to me than not giving a damn.

Honest attempts to inquire about cultural differences isn't racism. I'm not talking about the clear ones up there, like 'what the hells the matter with your name,' I just mean there is value in some of these questions, and tread with caution when you assume anytime a white American mentions India to you, it is borne of racism. You might think it's easy to tell the person's intent by the way they say it...I'd argue sometimes it actually is not. Someone might be curious, but aren't sure if they should be asking or how you will take it (maybe you'll think their racist, which you apparently do), and ask it as a half-joke to try to get an answer. Maybe you just can't read people as well as you think. There are plenty of reasons you might be wrong about the racist content of their question. Assuming a racist intent is a great w ay to create negative feelings on both sides of the exchange, when in fact there were none at the beginning.

I am sure durfen thinks I am missing the point, and I take everything too seriously. What can I say, I read this and didn't laugh. If I heard people give these responses I'd probably laugh *at* them. I think Dave Chappelle is pretty funny. And I saw Carlos Mencia live a few months ago, it was one of the most hilarious evenings I remember. I know this is meant to be funny, and don't tell me I have no sense of humor. "You smell of Spam and Hamburger Helper" is not Dave Chappelle or Carlos Mencia.

Further (last one, promise), I hope that you have NEVER said anything remotely similar regarding any other ethnic group. This includes wondering why a group of people is concentrated in one job (why is everyone who mows lawns Mexican?), made fun of names (Why is the guy cutting the grass named Jesus?), questioned anyone's ability or desire to learn English in America (Jesus is in America, he should learn English), or questioned their right to be in America (Jesus should be glad we let him in this country).

I have heard all of these from Indians, regarding several groups, I picked an example.

If you have said any of these, you are not only a racist but also a hypocrite.

The difference between the OP and Dave Chappelle is that Dave Chappelle is actually funny and doesn't deliver jokes rife with hostility as an attack, but out of good-humored wit and humility. To be honest, it's just looking like he made this thread to say offensive, prejudiced, and racist things that he couldn't say to Americans (probably white Americans) to their faces. Because, again - it's inappropriate.

My indian friends (and asian, and persian) and I throw around a lot of racial humor. You know what the difference is? We're all laughing, and we didn't put it up on a billboard. You ask a persian friend where he parked his camel when he gets to a restaurant? Funny. You post a bunch of racist retorts to racist slurs on a public forum? Offensive. Sure, it's subjective, but there are plenty of people on this thread that agree with me, it appears.

The difference is that the OP didn't put a :laugh: at the end.

So I wil ldo it for him. :laugh:

LOL.... funny stuff... we need more of this stuff in india... its funny how every one took this stuff seriously... Its ok though... india does do that to you... take ur humor away... haha... keep up the good work OP.

Some of the observations you have made might be a reflection of your insecurities. Though I admit it can get hard sometimes. One observation which I made- the people who have roots from back home and been here for more that 10 years or were born here are the most insecure around people who come fresh from back home unlike most other races / nationalities which stick together and make sure the new person adjusts fast and smoothly just an observation. Though some -I will say the extremely nice but rare kinds will stick with you -probably who are close to their parents and respect their roots.

Just hang in there, probably you are at the bottom of the foodchain right now, as you climb up you will become more comfortable.

some students in class find it funny to call me Apoo (from the simpsons) or Mogley (from the jungle book). They dont mean anything from it, they asked me if it offended me, but I said its cool. However, its kinda getting annoying know, cuz they have seemed to forgetten my real name, so does anybody I have funny comeback i can say to them?? One of them is Cuban and another is from some country in the Caribbean that starts with a G. I dont wanna be a spoilsport, just wanna have fun by returning the favor to them, i cant think of anything funny to call back at them tho...

There is nothing good about racism. As a person of Indian origin and as someone who looks very hispanic lets just say I've had my share of experiences of being targeted by a wide array of racists, starting from drunks on the street to police officers. I admit it is very dehumanizing.... nonetheless, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from turning it into a two way diatribe. For one, in my experience people who are racists aren't too bright to begin with, hence they are unlikely to understand any arguments you make. Second, and most importantly, this makes you look very desparate to seek validation and acceptance... which really isn't something anyone needs.
Which is not to say that you should stay quiet at all times. If you are being threatned physically, make sure you notify the authorities right away; also, if you are infact being treated unfairly by a person in power (employer, police officer etc) make sure you keep your cool gather up evidence and then unleash hell upon them. But other than that just stay calm and walk away.
I agree. It's better to be a gentleman/woman, rather than paying back in the same coin. I generally try to be nice, except when somebody insinuates that I'm a "terrist" from the color of my skin - I once had a white American guy repeatedly ask me if I speak Arabic, and insinuate things - so I paid him back really well. Other than that, I can't remember any instances where I tried to be equally confrontational when faced with racist remarks.

Some of the observations you have made might be a reflection of your insecurities. Though I admit it can get hard sometimes. One observation which I made- the people who have roots from back home and been here for more that 10 years or were born here are the most insecure around people who come fresh from back home unlike most other races / nationalities which stick together and make sure the new person adjusts fast and smoothly just an observation. Though some -I will say the extremely nice but rare kinds will stick with you -probably who are close to their parents and respect their roots.

Just hang in there, probably you are at the bottom of the foodchain right now, as you climb up you will become more comfortable.

I agree with that. I have been here for my whole life minus a year lol, but I am close to my parents and my roots. Therefore I am not at all insecure with people from back home. In fact, I really like them a lot (Feels like a messenger or another contact from home.) Yet I know people who are very insecure, calling names like 'freshies' and the rest, which makes me very angry because I want to say 'So tell me, what are your parents?' (or grand-parents or great grand-parents or even ancestors!)

All in all, just because someone calls it humour doesn't make it acceptable or funny.

but don't you guys think that indians handle racism the best? we're smart enough to come up with a comeback, and wise enough to ignore the dumba$$es who don't even deserve a comment.

but don't you guys think that indians handle racism the best? we're smart enough to come up with a comeback, and wise enough to ignore the dumba$$es who don't even deserve a comment.

Smarter than who? Wiser than who? Other victims of racism?

Anyone else see the irony here?

i really wasn't comparing our response to anyone. i'm just saying that most comments don't get to us and if we do respond, we have an intelligent comeback. for example, who cares if someone thinks our house smells of curry...its not a bad thing in the larger scheme of things as say, compared to the smell of having 30 cats. you gotta chill, i wasn't putting "other victims of racism" down.

Smarter than who? Wiser than who? Other victims of racism?

Anyone else see the irony here?

i really wasn't comparing our response to anyone.

You mean this wasn't you?...
don't you guys think that indians handle racism the best?

And saying something like this:
i'm just saying that most comments don't get to us and if we do respond, we have an intelligent comeback

...implies that other victims of racism have less intelligent comebacks? Have less of an ability to shrug it off?

you gotta chill, i wasn't putting "other victims of racism" down.

Make sure that you don't.

wow, northerner, you're really good at picking out comments. good job. keep it up and keep yourself busy protecting "other victims of racism". and to prove my point about knowing when to stop responding to dumba$$ comments like yours (and racists), this will be my last response to you.

wow, northerner, you're really good at picking out comments. good job. keep it up and keep yourself busy protecting "other victims of racism". and to prove my point about knowing when to stop responding to dumba$$ comments like yours (and racists), this will be my last response to you.

Thanks? I will?

Since I'm having a hard time figuring out which comments were "*******", I'll just assume you used that word incorrectly in a vain effort to make a big exit.

By this comment I don't think MedStudent2007 was trying to say that others are inferior in any way. Northener, you are just reading into it too much!

By this comment I don't think MedStudent2007 was trying to say that others are inferior in any way. Northener, you are just reading into it too much!

I disagree. I personally agreed with northerner's thoughts on this statement:

The only way this is not a comparison is if it's a phrasing I don't hear or use particularly often. For example, if by "don't you think that Indians handle racism the best?" he means something along the lines of "don't you think that Indians handle racism way awesomely?"

Otherwise to me, best most certainly does sound like a comparison.

IF I came here and said,
I think black people handle racism the best, because we have the pride to not allow racists to talk garbage about us, and the balls to do something about it when they do
then I personally am quite sure that it would (justifiably) be read as a backhanded comment aimed at other groups who are victimized by racism. That comment, to me and I believe to most of us, would seem to insinuate that the speaker believes other unnamed groups are rather spineless and unwilling or unable to stand up for themselves.

Similarly, when I read medstudent's post, I definitely took it as a backhanded, although perhaps unintentional or even unconscious, suggestion that members of other groups are often unable to come back with a strong, dignified response, and furthermore are impulsive loose cannons to the point that they are unable to ignore those who do not deserve a response.

I didn't think northerners interpretations were out of line at all.

I personally think that anytime anyone utters some variation of "[Any ethnic group] is best at anything," there is an uglier unspoken side of the statement as well, whether the speaker realizes it or not.

I do see your point. Well explained. Guess I took it as a light comment. I still think it was unintentional though.

I do see your point. Well explained. Guess I took it as a light comment. I still think it was unintentional though.

fair enough, and I'm sure it was meant as a light comment...but I dunno, it's a personal thing of mine I guess, so I find myself arguing the point a lot...These kinds of things do have meanings, and consequences.

Saying Asian kids are best in math and science not only can discourage other kids from trying to do well, but it also puts tremendous amounts of pressure on the Asian kids who are NOT in fact good in school at all, or who are good in school and and can be good in school and want to be good in school, but in art, or history, or English, or something different from what the stereotype tells them they SHOULD be best at.

Saying black kids are best at sports not only can make other kids relectant to just try and get in the game and play, and also gives plenty of young black kids an impossible dream to chase, and, again, puts tremendous amounts of pressure on the black boys who are not in fact good at sports...

It's a pretty easy concept, I'm sure you all understand what I'm getting at, so no more examples... My point is just that stereotypes, bad AND GOOD, have meanings, and consequences.

I disagree. I personally agreed with northerner's thoughts on this statement:

The only way this is not a comparison is if it's a phrasing I don't hear or use particularly often. For example, if by "don't you think that Indians handle racism the best?" he means something along the lines of "don't you think that Indians handle racism way awesomely?"

Otherwise to me, best most certainly does sound like a comparison.

IF I came here and said,
then I personally am quite sure that it would (justifiably) be read as a backhanded comment aimed at other groups who are victimized by racism. That comment, to me and I believe to most of us, would seem to insinuate that the speaker believes other unnamed groups are rather spineless and unwilling or unable to stand up for themselves.

Similarly, when I read medstudent's post, I definitely took it as a backhanded, although perhaps unintentional or even unconscious, suggestion that members of other groups are often unable to come back with a strong, dignified response, and furthermore are impulsive loose cannons to the point that they are unable to ignore those who do not deserve a response.

I didn't think northerners interpretations were out of line at all.

I personally think that anytime anyone utters some variation of "[Any ethnic group] is best at anything," there is an uglier unspoken side of the statement as well, whether the speaker realizes it or not.

I agree - and you may have explained it better than I did.

nothing wrong with saying that someone is the best at something. maybe others can learn from that. instead of assuming that others will feel inferior, maybe someone's superiority can make another person want to thrive and do better. if an asian kid is good at math why can't you think that a black or a white kid would want to be just as good? or an asian kid want to pick up playing ball? you guys are jackasses for picking on one person - this makes you no different from racists.

i highly doubt that medstudent was trying to say that indians are better at ignoring racist comments and THEREFORE are better, period. i happen to agree with him about how desis handle racism. we are good at handling racism - we are an educated crowd and know when to take a comment and when to strike back. don't put words in my mouth like you did for medstudent. i'm not saying that others are not educated, i am just commenting on our crowd. other crowds may have some handicaps that are not their fault - for example, there are plenty of chinese immigrants who don't speak english fluently - so they may not be able to have a comeback if some idiot on the street says something to them. i think its as simple as that. i don't think med student was saying that others are weak - but that we as indians are strong, well educated and lucky in that sense.

nothing wrong with saying that someone is the best at something. maybe others can learn from that. instead of assuming that others will feel inferior, maybe someone's superiority can make another person want to thrive and do better. if an asian kid is good at math why can't you think that a black or a white kid would want to be just as good? or an asian kid want to pick up playing ball?

Racial superiority? Please tell me you don't think a concept like racial superiority is a good thing to propagate. This paragraph makes my skin crawl.

you guys are jackasses for picking on one person - this makes you no different from racists.

We weren't "picking on" him - we are comfortable and morally obligated to voice our opinions against things that seem like bigotry. Who cares what some guy thinks? We're arguing the points, here, no one's getting personal.

we are good at handling racism - we are an educated crowd and know when to take a comment and when to strike back. don't put words in my mouth like you did for medstudent. i'm not saying that others are not educated, i am just commenting on our crowd. other crowds may have some handicaps that are not their fault - for example, there are plenty of chinese immigrants who don't speak english fluently - so they may not be able to have a comeback if some idiot on the street says something to them. i think its as simple as that. i don't think med student was saying that others are weak - but that we as indians are strong, well educated and lucky in that sense.

God, what the hell is wrong with you people?! How hard is it to understand that when you say, "we are more __________", it is implying that the groups to which you are comparing yourselves are deficient or inferior to you in that way! How can a moral person suggest racial superiority in that way?

Let's try a little demonstration. If a person says, "we are more educated (than black people)", you're also saying "(black people) are less educated than us". If a person says "we are a pretty intelligent crowd", you're implying that it is relative to the others, you're also saying "we are a pretty intelligent crowd compared to you". That's insulting.

other crowds may have some handicaps that are not their fault - for example, there are plenty of chinese immigrants who don't speak english fluently - so they may not be able to have a comeback if some idiot on the street says something to them. i think its as simple as that.

"Other crowds" or races? Because there's nothing wrong with grouping people together to make generalizations (as long as they're not malicious or unfair), but when you imply superiority/inferiority based on race alone, that's called bigotry. If you're not talking about race, you'd better clarify that.

i don't think med student was saying that others are weak - but that we as indians are strong, well educated and lucky in that sense.

Again - compared to whom? Indians are strong and well-educated compared to whom? As humans, we have only each other to compare ourselves to. So if you want to make race comparisons (a totally ridiculous grouping) at least acknowledge that you're also making statements about other races when you do it. Say it how it is.

Go ahead - finish your sentence: "we as indians are strong, well-educated, and lucky in that sense.....compared to ________________"......?

i happen to agree with him about how desis handle racism. we are good at handling racism .

I am curious about who exactly you think the people are who are not good at handling racism...If you can honestly think about the answer to that question, maybe you'll be able to see why this is insulting.