This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgardner1414

future student doctor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to both. They are both located in Columbus, Ohio. Halp!!

Members don't see this ad.

That makes a lot of sense for sure.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Both are great schools, OUHCOM may be better (in my opinion) than some of the others schools in Ohio (NEOCOM, Wright State & Toledo). Yes there is still that stigma with DO's but I'm not sure how much that carries over into the professional world. I know that the OSU Wexner Medical center highers DO's and has some of them as research faculty (which surprised me quite a bit...)

But in favor of OSUCOM, it is one of the top tier medical schools in the country according to US New and World Report, if that matters. Also, it is relatively more affordable than OUHCOM with tuition at OSUCOM begin ~$160,000 and OUHCOM being ~$200,000. OSUCOM has an academical medical center so there is sure to be more research and other opportunities available to students that wouldn't readily be available to a student at OUHCOM.

Lastly, students at allopathic medical schools can only take the USMLE while an osteopathic medical student is able to take both the COMLEX & USMLE. So, if a DO students scores highly on their board exams, this actually opens up more possible residency opportunities for them than it does for an MD student.

Thoughts?

this is not true. DO's are heavily restricted from certain residency types... look all over this website for more information
Please share if you come across something, but my current understanding is that residency programs will have a choice whether or not they want students to have taken the USMLE or the COMLEX, much like the ACT or SAT for undergrad. It sounds like most programs will accept either.

I'm still in undergrad but I'd say go to OSU for the MD! I don't know what you've heard but from what I've seen around the forums people normally go to DO or the Carribean if they didn't think they'd be able to get into an MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i believe that is correct, but the more difficulty residency programs tend to shut out DO's entirely (ortho, ophthalmology, derm, etc.). Most DO's do family medicine or peds because they can't match into other specialties. If a DO and an MD student have the same USMLE score, most RDs prefer the MD student
https://www.ohio.edu/medicine/about/offices/assessment-and-accreditation/match.cfm

"Shut out DO's entirely"? OUHCOM had 3 match into orthopedic surgery last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, if were being real MD is better than DO. Theres a reason why most people don't know what a DO is until college and why MDs are much harder to get accepted to because of DO. More doors open, more prestige, less questioning if you are a real doctor.

OUHCOM is transitioning to a new curriculum this upcoming year. I personally don't see this as a good thing for someone starting in 2018 because I can image the first year with a new curriculum will be rough.

When OSUCOM was sharing their board scores during one of the presentations on my interview day they skipped over the year when their LSI curriculum was first introduced. I have to assume they did that because they went down that year.