OSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey BB! (Sorry I can't ever remember that long number that is your screen name! haha)
That's awesome about your house! Congratulations! I have no idea what is going on with admissions there. I have literally about 6 or 7 friends on the waitlist and one that is interviewing on Friday. What ChiO said is definitely true. SOOOOOOO many people come from the waitlist. It just sucks waiting, I know.
BB, are you going to be at admitted students day on March 1st???? I will definitely be there and I am bringing my fiance. I am really excited about it and I hope we can drive around and get a feel for where we might live. I am working on FAFSA but I am still waiting on a W-2 ( had three jobs last year) and I've been on my mom's butt to get her to get her taxes done so I can have a copy. Until you're 24, you have to claim your parents which REALLY sucks. But, I am trying to get that done ASAP. They want you to have it done no later than April 1st but what about the people that get accepted later than that?? I'm trying to get everything done.....
when are you going to get your physical and immunizations and all that stuff??

Members don't see this ad.

On my FAFSA I went ahead and put that I'm going to be getting a 2nd bachelors, and I will just change it if I ever get accepted. I just don't understand the whole process. Why do they interview people if they are just going to reject them because of something they already knew about, such as MCAT and GPA? Or why would they interview me so early on if they knew something about my application just wasn't good enough to begin with? So confusing.

Cmon Sookie! Don't get down! It's WAY too early for that! The commitee hasn't even met again! They obviously want you AND think you're good enough or you would not be wait listed. They just want to see all there cards before they play them. You know good and well half the class comes from the waitlist and you were put on it early on. Be patient and relax! You will be a doctor soon enough! Just hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement myo. It seems like it is taking forever and that my time to be accepted might have past... hehe.

I was talking more about people who were interviewed and rejected because they didnt have enough upper division classes or their MCAT score was low, which the committee knew about before they interviewed. It just doesn't make sense. I guess maybe they thought the interview would outweigh the shortcomings.

On a lighter note... its a BEAUTIFUL day in Oklahoma! Everyone enjoy it!

They way I look at it is I have one more year to earn some cash rather than borrow a boatload. The other thing is I will be teaching anatomy and physiology next year along with, physical science, and general biology. Can't hurt as a warm up for med school.

If you're still on the waitlist you're in a good position.

Ok heres the deal. It's not that they interview people with substandards. There's a reason they have average scores for both GPA and the MCAT. You may have been on the lower end of their ranges and they were hoping that your interview would put you over the top. Now that they've met you and have seen what your interview was like, they are going to try and point you to the area that will be easiest to fix. (GPA, MCAT)... Most of the time they won't say "work on your interview skills"... When you interview, you are YOU and its pretty hard to change that.

Now this will seem kind of harsh, but I came from this and feel I can voice on it. There is absolutely no reason to apply to med school without having takin EVERY possible class that is applicable towards med school. It seems to me that if you apply before that you are just going with the "Thats good enough" approach. I will tell you this... Schools don't like that. I did an associates program in Radiography, worked as an Xray tech and then decided to go back to school. I had to completely start over. Very few of my geneds crossed over and none of my upper divisions did except for A & P. I could've applied last year without, Human Physiology, Biochem, Human Dissection, etc...But I felt it was in my best interest to be as prepared and competitive as possible. I've got love for all you guys and hope to see you at OSU-com soon. Just think about what I wrote a little.

Hey BB! (Sorry I can't ever remember that long number that is your screen name! haha)
That's awesome about your house! Congratulations! I have no idea what is going on with admissions there. I have literally about 6 or 7 friends on the waitlist and one that is interviewing on Friday. What ChiO said is definitely true. SOOOOOOO many people come from the waitlist. It just sucks waiting, I know.
BB, are you going to be at admitted students day on March 1st???? I will definitely be there and I am bringing my fiance. I am really excited about it and I hope we can drive around and get a feel for where we might live. I am working on FAFSA but I am still waiting on a W-2 ( had three jobs last year) and I've been on my mom's butt to get her to get her taxes done so I can have a copy. Until you're 24, you have to claim your parents which REALLY sucks. But, I am trying to get that done ASAP. They want you to have it done no later than April 1st but what about the people that get accepted later than that?? I'm trying to get everything done.....
when are you going to get your physical and immunizations and all that stuff??

Hmm first, I won't be at the March 1st students day due to a prior engagement, but will be there for the one this summer. I already have all my physical stuff done exept for the last hep b shot and my flu shot. That stuff sucked due to the fact that I had none of the shots I needed. I felt like a pin cushion for about a week. I did turn my FAFSA in 2 weeks ago and scheduled my last two shots for the last week in march.

On campus today there is a career fair going on and OSU-COM has a rep here. I figured I'd go talk to her and see what all was going on, maybe get some free stuff, that kind of thing. She said there are still roughly 30 seats available. They did not raise the number of accepted students this year, so it's either 86 or 88, my memory is hazy.

I'm sure I've missed something so I'll post when I remember.

Dr. MOM --> How much longer do you have in your res???

Dr. Mom.. well that's good. Atleast there will be a familiar face in the city somewhere...

I know you've told me which area you live in, but I've forgotten. We are looking at a development off of 161st in Bixby, one in Coweta, and one in Jenks. Most likely we will be in Bixby, but I'm leaving other options open. I'm just a little concerned about the drive. I know there are a couple of 4 lane roads that run over to 75 from Bixby and then its just a straight shot north. I'm just wondering how bad traffic is on 75 in the morning.....????...???

coming from 161st you should probably count on about a half hour drive in the morning, maybe a little less. Jenks would get you a few miles closer but it would be about the same.

hwy 75 isn't usually too bad.

Driving from Jenks is about 10-15 mins to the school/hospital, btw, depending on how far off the hwy you are. I'm moving to south of Jenks 1/2 mile from hwy 75 and it takes 12 minutes.

Well we looked in Jenks this weekend, but the neighborhood that was available is literally right on top of 75 (noisy) and about half a mile from a dump... So we went with Bixby. Memorial down to 161st, then east(left) to the Territory. House is supposed to be started this week and projected to be done by the 13th of June. I'm pretty excited about it. I figured 151st to 75 would be my best bet. I'll spend some time this summer finding faster ways around...

Thanks for the info guys..

hmmm. where you looked sounds like it is near my house, but we don't have any noise problems :confused: maybe you looked at a neighborhood closer to Hwy 75.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Jenks neighborhood is called "Southern Reserve". The southside of the neighborhood has a fence that is about 75-100 yards from 75. It may not of been all that loud, just a concern that it might be. Plus there was a preference for Bixby before we ever saw the Jenks area so that kinda figured into it a little.

Just to let everyone know... There are 18 spots left unfilled.

I was also told there around only 30 to 40 people on the wait list and only around 5 have been accepted from the wait list so far.

This thread seriously needs to be bumped!!!!! What's goin' on guys?

There was also a chance that my wife would be working in BA so we figured Bixby was more centrally located. I posted pics on facebook if you have it.

Changed my schedule so that my wife and I will be at the ASD on March 1st. See you guys there...

b

wtf?
would be nice if their own undergrads had a policy like that...
Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, I'm glad they're doing it, but as far as I know there's no gaurantee like that for OSU undergrads.

Only if you graduate from the OSU Honors program.

heck yeah!! As a UCO senior (I've been here all 4 years) we are VERY excited about this. Pretty much our pre-med adviser was OSU's pre med adviser for like 20 years. She is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and knows her stuff. UCO is known for our very rigorous science programs and the professional schools know that. In my interview they actually commented on the fact that I was from UCO and that it was an amazing acadamic institution. I think they weigh a lower GPA from a UCO science program a little higher one from other universities in oklahoma about the same. This is all hearsay of course but I know I had amazing professors here and feel extremely prepared for medical school. So, in short all those reasons come into play as to why they made this deal with UCO. They really respect students from here. Last year we had like 10-12 people admitted into OSU, 5-9 into OU, a lot more into other med schools and professional programs. I wish we would have had this program sooner but I am really excited about it for the upcoming students.

That's awesome that you will be there Saturday BB! I'm looking forward to meeting you and the other students!! I think me and my fiance are gonna stay saturday night in Tulsa and hang out with some friends. It should be a really good time!

heck yeah!! As a UCO senior (I've been here all 4 years) we are VERY excited about this. Pretty much our pre-med adviser was OSU's pre med adviser for like 20 years. She is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and knows her stuff. UCO is known for our very rigorous science programs and the professional schools know that. In my interview they actually commented on the fact that I was from UCO and that it was an amazing acadamic institution. I think they weigh a lower GPA from a UCO science program a little higher one from other universities in oklahoma about the same. This is all hearsay of course but I know I had amazing professors here and feel extremely prepared for medical school. So, in short all those reasons come into play as to why they made this deal with UCO. They really respect students from here. Last year we had like 10-12 people admitted into OSU, 5-9 into OU, a lot more into other med schools and professional programs. I wish we would have had this program sooner but I am really excited about it for the upcoming students.
Laaaaame. The premed advisor we have now is pretty worthless.

That is just a little bit ridiculous... automatically accepting students just because they graduate from a certain university? Those scores are below their averages. I heard OSU's average is a 26 and their GPA average is around a 3.6. It must be difficult to get a positive recommendation from the committee.

Yeah I am pretty sure it is....I don't know, though. She really likes you if you utilize the sources she gives you but if you just show up junior year right before you apply and expect a letter from them, it's not gonna fly too well. I'm not saying its fair but that is just OSU recognizing the quality of our science programs. I'm really proud of my school.

Well in order to get the acceptance you have to meet all the same requirements even though the minimum mcat isnt the same as the average mcat accepted. Also, you have to complete 60 hours at UCO by the time of matriculation to OSU-COM. I happen to be transferring to UCO, but I had everything done before I even learned of this. This just happens to be a bonus.

Also dont forget that you get interviewed by a committee which ultimately decides if your material or not.

I asked around and apparently OU was offered the same thing by OSU-COM, but OU's honor college thought there would be a conflict because they already have a thing with OU Medical. Its only 5 seats that are reserved for these purposes at OU Medical, so I'm assuming it will be around that number for OSU-COM, too.

Does anyone know when the next round of interviews are? I have been on the waitlist since November and become more discouraged as time moves on. They claim to take more than half of the class from the waitlist and I was wondering if anyone has been pulled and if so, how many?

I have also been on the wait list since November. I was told last week that only 4 people have been accepted from the wait list so far. They told me only 30 to 40 people are on the wait list. They are still telling people who are getting interviewed that they are probably going to take 40-45 from the wait list and put them in the class. I was also told a majority of the people are taken off around the end of May.

Hope that helps. Good to know someone is in the same boat as me!

I'm also a wait-lister, but even worse- this is my second time around! I just try not to think about it, and that way I'll be completely surprised when I (hopefully!) get the call :)

Hey Chi-O, You and me both. (About the 2nd time around thing):thumbdown:

Yall stay hopeful!!! Admitted students day was yesterday and I talked to more than a couple people who were waiting to hear from OU before making a decision on where they would actually be going.

Alright guys...so what cool and exciting things are going on this week?

Personally, Myo, I have been looking forward to more adventures in the life of Dr. Bidlack. On another note, has anyone gotten any interview invites recently? Any acceptances or rejections? We need to pick up the pace. This thread is undergoing a slow, painful death.

Supposedly they aren't going to be sending out anymore acceptances until May... that's just what I heard.

May? I thought that they had interviews until April and continued to look at the waitlisted during each new round. That really sucks. Where did you hear that?

Someone who interviewed a couple of weeks ago said that is what they told her. I guess they have already sent out 88 invites, so now they are waiting to send out anymore. I'm sure they will still be reviewing our files, but they told her that she would only recieve either a rejection letter or a waitlist letter. I think the interviews in April are only for the bridge program. OU's final date for students to confirm where they are going to school is May 15, and I heard that spots usually open at OSU around then.

Good lord! They are trying to torture you guys! May is a LONG time! I'm really sorry to hear that but I did hear that may is when a LOT of spots open up. Because of that deadline. Yeah, Dr. Bidlack (StephO and my molecular cell physiology professor who is HILARIOUS) has been kinda calm lately! He should spark back up, though.

Yeah, that is what I heard, too. Supposedly OU ends up taking about 80 people off their waitlist because people decide to go to private schools instead, which in turn opens up spots at OSU. HOORAY!

Saw you guys were talking about housing so I thought I would share:

I live in a new development in Sapulpa. It takes me around 20 minutes to go from my driveway to the school. It is Hickory South/Hickory Place and the developer is Rausch Coleman. I looked around Tulsa, Glenpool, and Jenks and this is by far the best deal we could find. My wife and I couldn't be happier. In Hickory South the houses are around 1400 sq ft, 3BR/2Baths, 2 Car Garage. They run around 120K give or take. In Hickory Place, the only difference is that the houses are a little smaller, and typically have a few less amenities. They are around 1100 sq ft, and run about 100K. They also have started another development in the neighborhood where they have bigger houses like in Hickory South on the smaller lots. These houses look a little more optioned out than my Hickory South house. We enjoy it, as everything we have to have is in Sapulpa and very convenient. If we need something from Tulsa, it's just 20 minutes away. The new development at 71st and 75 is like 12 minutes away. Extremely convenient for shopping. They can build you a house, or you can pick out one of their open houses, which they always try to keep a few on hand. We signed our contract at the beginning of April, and were in our house by the end of July, so construction time is very quick. If you have any questions, you can email me as I rarely get on SDN anymore. They have a really good website with virtual tours and lots of info. There is also a foreclosure in the neighborhood directly next door to me that you could probably snatch up for cheap.http://www.rauschcolemanhomes.com They have several other neighborhoods in the Tulsa metro.

[email protected]

Are any of you going to the OSU Med-Xtravaganza this year (April 4th)?

I wanted to go!! I also wanted to attend the scrub run because I hear those are always super fun! Unfortunately I will be presenting research in San Diego while this is going on. But I will definitely be there next year!

I wanted to go!! I also wanted to attend the scrub run because I hear those are always super fun! Unfortunately I will be presenting research in San Diego while this is going on. But I will definitely be there next year!

I'm definitely going to be there for Med Xtravaganza. Wouldn't miss it for anything. I always have a great time there. The Scrub Run...not so much. In fact, not at all! LOL! :D

To say that I'm not athletic is an understatement. I used to be in karate (was 1 belt away from black belt), but that was several years ago. To be honest, I've never been very athletic anyway. What athletic endeavors I've ever been involved in certainly never involved running! And my legs are so short, that to keep up with someone who's just jogging and in no rush, I have to run almost full tilt! LOL!

Anyway, I'm sorry I won't see you there. :(

Hey hows everyone doing! I have posted in a little while but alot of good stuff has been happening lately!

Got accepted to UCO with a transfer scholarship that will leave me paying nothing out of pocket. The scholarship is renewable too!

Got accepted by INBRE and I will be working out of OMRF this summer on a lupus research project which will entail mapping certain genetic markers of lupus and also testing some experimental gene manipulation.

Also, I decided to get a powerball ticket today and also picked up a few scratchers and won 100 between the two.

Bad news, not too bad though, is that I wont be taking the MCAT till next january since I wont be elgible until next summer due to the transfer.

This is my second year to be waitlisted at OSU-COM. From my experience last year its not a fun ordeal. I assume they will wait until after May 15 for any more waitlist movement, because that is the deadline for students that are accepted to multiple schools to make their final decisions. At which time spots will open up at OU, OSU, etc. and the movement will begin. Don't get your hopes up, considering OSU's class is very small. OSU will not disclose much information and all they tell you is to continue to "update your file". I am also waitlisted at OU and accepted at ATSU/KCOM, so we'll see what happens. Good luck to all OSU/OU waitlisters. Waiting sucks. :(

This is my second year to be waitlisted at OSU-COM. From my experience last year its not a fun ordeal. I assume they will wait until after May 15 for any more waitlist movement, because that is the deadline for students that are accepted to multiple schools to make their final decisions. At which time spots will open up at OU, OSU, etc. and the movement will begin. Don't get your hopes up, considering OSU's class is very small. OSU will not disclose much information and all they tell you is to continue to "update your file". I am also waitlisted at OU and accepted at ATSU/KCOM, so we'll see what happens. Good luck to all OSU/OU waitlisters. Waiting sucks. :(

You sent your deposit into KCOM, right?

Yes definitely, already paid one deposit and have to pay 2 more by may 15. KCOM is a great school and they have treated me great. I plan to attend KCOM in fall if state schools don't come through for me. In state tuition is a lot different from private school tuition, although i don't intend to take anything away from KCOM. Are you a student/future student anywhere?

Yes definitely, already paid one deposit and have to pay 2 more by may 15. KCOM is a great school and they have treated me great. I plan to attend KCOM in fall if state schools don't come through for me. In state tuition is a lot different from private school tuition, although i don't intend to take anything away from KCOM. Are you a student/future student anywhere?

I'm a student at OSU-COM. I was accepted to several schools, and since I'm an out-of-state student, the price difference wasn't a factor for me.