Osteoporosis and epidural injections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do ou take any special precautions when doing epidural injections in this population?

Do you use a lower dose of steroid? Do you limit the injections to only 1 or 2 a year? Or do you avoid injections in this population all together?

Members don't see this ad.

Do ou take any special precautions when doing epidural injections in this population?

Do you use a lower dose of steroid? Do you limit the injections to only 1 or 2 a year? Or do you avoid injections in this population all together?
Good question. My thoughts. Discussed ESI with an endocrinologist and a rheumatologist once. Both said the same thing - if the ESI got the patient walking more, any negative effects from the steroid would be outweighed by the effect of exercise increase. Also looked up what other specialties do when giving steroids. According to old literature (have not reviewed in many years) if calcium supplements and Vitamin D is given it negates steroid effects on bone density. HOWEVER i know many docs who use osteoporosis from steroids as a reason to limit injections. What might be useful is an actual good study including all the factors i mentioned. So perhaps a patient who does not increase activity and does not take calcium and D and gets ESIs will develop osteoporosis from steroids. And the opposite patient gets stronger bones. All of what i just wrote is dated - i retired 5 years ago.

I go with lowest effective dose especially as I don't believe there is strong evidence to show higher doses have greater benefit. Also, the consideration for injections is multifactorial but I think would certainly be justified if it helps to improve a patient's participation in physical therapy and exercise. Getting the patient's PCM/endocrinologist input is good and makes them aware.

This article is a little old but I like the suggestion of three month gap between elective glucocorticoid exposures:
Mitra R. Adverse Effects of Corticosteroids on Bone Metabolism: A Review. PMR 2011;3:466-471