Osteopathy degree not accepted in India! What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TunnuS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I am a nontypical premed student-unlike the majority of Indians who come here after completing their MBBS, the primary reason being to make big money, I actually want to go back home to serve the poor and underprivileged once I complete med school and residency.

However, on the lower side of med school applicants, and right now DO or Caribbean MD schools are my best bet. Although I would be more than happy to get into a good DO school, I recently discovered a thread informing that DO's are not recognized in many foreign countries including India. This seems a little unfair on the Indian government's part, considering DO's go through undergrad, med school and residency, a rigorous, demanding 11+ years of post high school education and training while their nationally trained MBBS receive 5 years tops and they're good to practice anywhere. Besides, most mbbs graduates have given bribes to get in in the first place, whereas osteopaths have to get in fair and square-based on their GPA and MCAT's.

Not meaning to rant, I just need to know which schools to apply for at this point. Are Caribbean MD's considered real MD's by Indians and allowed to practice, or do they face the same nonsense "you're not a doctor in our book" discrimination faced by osteopaths. Obviously, I am going to try to get into a US MD school foremostly, but if that doesn't workout, what is the better alternate to practice in India (and yes this is still where I want to practice, no matter how unaccomodating it may be to foreign grads)?

Any and all insight will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares! I know pre-DO's make a big deal about this, but its irrelevant.

First, going to med school (MD or DO) you'll have close to 200k in loans. You need to make American salary to pay that off. I doubt foreign nations pay their doctors as much. So unless you dad's paying off all your loans, you'll be stuck working in US.

Second, most people wont leave US to work in some other 3rd work nation. Lots of US docs go overseas to volunteer, but live in US. Try telling your future wife that your kids should be educated in a 3rd world school with no electricity rather than a US school and see how long that argument lasts.