Osteopathic School Listed by MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously. I understand the whole "holistic" approach to applicants, but cmon. <20 is just ridiculous, that means you scored in <40th percentile in every section.
so what would u say about the black applicants who have lower mcat (ive heard ranging from 15-25) and get into MD programs (not to sound racist but it is a common occurance)
i would like to point out that many DO programs in keeping with the DO philosophy strive to have a diverse population in the medical community and its been proven (at least according to my sister in laws psych textbooks on the matter) that the MCAT is a racially unfair exam

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
so what would u say about the black applicants who have lower mcat (ive heard ranging from 15-25) and get into MD programs (not to sound racist but it is a common occurance)
i would like to point out that many DO programs in keeping with the DO philosophy strive to have a diverse population in the medical community and its been proven (at least according to my sister in laws psych textbooks on the matter) that the MCAT is a racially unfair exam

:troll:

No physician would use a medical test with the sensitivity and specificity of the MCAT.

I agree with you. But, there is a reason this test has been around for decades, and it's not just to serve as a standardizing agent.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most MD schools are just as active in getting URMs into the medical field. However African-American DO students average a 21 on the mcat and MD's average a ~27?. It has also been stated by many adcoms that theses students with extremely low mcat scores have incredibly hard times keeping up with the curriculum and passing the boards. So they are at high risk of failing out.

Secondly, I think you're thinking about the SAT, not the mcat. I don't think there's anyway you could make physics racially unfair.

Secondly, I think you're thinking about the SAT, not the mcat. I don't think there's anyway you could make physics racially unfair.

He's talking about verbal.

This thread is going places.....

Yah... the first paragraph is a bit rough... Basically I just mean that the newer doctor learned newer more efficient methods his first time around as opposed to the older doctor, who had to learn it on top of the older procedures which are now obsolete.
Fine, OK. The point of this debate is about whether or not DO's having an average MCAT of 30 would lead to greater perception of DO's.

He's talking about verbal.

This thread is going places.....

The only study I found, and it was old as dirt, was one that stated that the MCAT had a difference in average score that did fall along racial lines. It also studied the rate of noted (serious) academic difficulties and/or dropping out/failing out. It showed on a superficial level that the black students scored lower and dropped/failed/got probation more often. But the secondary analysis was that they simply had a sample size where a number of black students plain out scored terribly which ruined the average (and it would have been much closer if not for them) and that if you analyzed performance based on score, not race, the rate of problems/failing/dropping was race neutral and was instead centered only on score. The only conclusion from the study was that the MCAT is a predictor of ability to pass the preclinical years regardless of color. (which has been corroborated by various studies to various specific variations on that theme)

so since its been stated the average URM score at MD schools is around 27. The average DO score is around 27. A URM in on "affirmative action" at an MD school is as likely as the average DO student to have trouble graduating. If anyone wants to pick up that gauntlet and hate on affirmative action for letting in DO-calibur students, go right ahead and have fun with that suicide argument.

so since its been stated the average URM score at MD schools is around 27. The average DO score is around 27. A URM in on "affirmative action" at an MD school is as likely as the average DO student to have trouble graduating. If anyone wants to pick up that gauntlet and hate on affirmative action for letting in DO-calibur students, go right ahead and have fun with that suicide argument.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It would.

:thumbup:

Fine, OK. The point of this debate is about whether or not DO's having an average MCAT of 30 would lead to greater perception of DO's.

Yes....

but also if the DO schools did more research (i.e. had way more NIH grants) and had their own teaching hospitals.

20100108063328%21Exploding-head.gif

IDFsoldierboy said:
i would like to point out that many DO programs in keeping with the DO philosophy strive to have a diverse population in the medical community

I don't mind diversity either. However, one area of diversity I don't want represented in medical school is ineptitude, which I feel is what a sub-20 MCAT illustrates. No nice way to slice it.

I don't mind diversity either. However, one area of diversity I don't want represented in medical school is ineptitude, which I feel is what a sub-20 MCAT illustrates. No nice way to slice it.
love the animation...I love diversity too, i was just pointing it out that it is an occurance..I wasnt commenting on how well said matriculants do in the programs, I was just saying that they are accepted..

love the animation...I love diversity too, i was just pointing it out that it is an occurance..I wasnt commenting on how well said matriculants do in the programs, I was just saying that they are accepted..

Where are you getting this information from? Typically, students that are accepted with ridiculously low MCATs are part of the combined BS/MD programs and only have to take the exam as a formality. As you can imagine, people who are already accepted probably don't study for the test, thus you have MD matriculants with <20 MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes....

but also if the DO schools did more research (i.e. had way more NIH grants) and had their own teaching hospitals.

If they did that those schools would quickly be LCME certified.

These are so wrong. LECOM told us this year the average MCAT was a 27-28. Furthermore, there is a very strict MCAT policy across the board at all of LECOM's campuses. They will not accept anyone with lower than a 23 MCAT. People in the DO program who have a MCAT that low had to go through the post bacc program.

I know this for a fact! I have had friends miss the the 23 mark by a point and they rejected them!

These are so wrong. LECOM told us this year the average MCAT was a 27-28. Furthermore, there is a very strict MCAT policy across the board at all of LECOM's campuses. They will not accept anyone with lower than a 23 MCAT. People in the DO program who have a MCAT that low had to go through the post bacc program.

I know this for a fact! I have had friends miss the the 23 mark by a point and they rejected them!

Well the stats are 3+ years old. And LECOM a while back (3+ years ago) was known as the school that was surprisingly well connected given that it was not academically difficulty to get into, so I'm not surprised. But again, it's old stats, they could have entirely overhauled that without too much difficulty.

If you have an MCAT in the mid-twenties, you will have a very difficult time getting into and through medical school. I know because I went to school with students who were in this range, and they struggled to graduate, get residencies, etc. This is because you will be competing with people who are a lot smarter, who shift the bell curve to the right when it comes time to grade tests. You will struggle, fight and fight some more and barely make the grade. This will not make your life very enjoyable.

Dentists make way more money than the majority of physicians, there is no residency, and it is a cash business. This is a much better option than struggling through D.O. school, getting a crap FP residency, and making 120k a year with 250 grand in student loans outstanding. I know tons of dentists who are absolutely killing it financially (750k a year).

Obamacare will further lower compensation for docs. In fact, regardless of specialty choice, I would no longer advise anyone go into medicine in the United States from a purely financial standpoint. Don't take my word for it, go ask any practicing doctor how medicine in this country has changed in the last 5 years, and where it is going.

For those of you with the lower GPA and MCAT's, go to dental school, you will laugh all the way to the bank and have no regrets. For those of you with high MCAT's and 4.0 GPA's, the same advice holds.

If you have an MCAT in the mid-twenties, you will have a very difficult time getting into and through medical school. I know because I went to school with students who were in this range, and they struggled to graduate, get residencies, etc. This is because you will be competing with people who are a lot smarter, who shift the bell curve to the right when it comes time to grade tests. You will struggle, fight and fight some more and barely make the grade. This will not make your life very enjoyable.

Dentists make way more money than the majority of physicians, there is no residency, and it is a cash business. This is a much better option than struggling through D.O. school, getting a crap FP residency, and making 120k a year with 250 grand in student loans outstanding. I know tons of dentists who are absolutely killing it financially (750k a year).

Obamacare will further lower compensation for docs. In fact, regardless of specialty choice, I would no longer advise anyone go into medicine in the United States from a purely financial standpoint. Don't take my word for it, go ask any practicing doctor how medicine in this country has changed in the last 5 years, and where it is going.

For those of you with the lower GPA and MCAT's, go to dental school, you will laugh all the way to the bank and have no regrets. For those of you with high MCAT's and 4.0 GPA's, the same advice holds.

I'd hate looking at teeth all day.

I know this thread is about 1 year old, but it is still relevant.

I don't think someone scoring below a 21 should be considering medicine without first learning how to study or relearning the scientific concepts that the MCAT tests. I don't think people who score less than this are "stupid", but I do think there is something seriously wrong with their test taking, studying, or retention skills. I think a 24 is a good minimum.

i hope people have noticed by now that the link to the DO rankings was last updated in 2008 lol

Old thread. Most schools have gone up in applicant competition and have higher MCAT averages now.

I honestly think that a 25 MCAT is pushing your luck.

Also would like to note the poster that resurrected this thread is most likely trolling.

over half of DO students have mid 20s MCAT or lower.

over half of DO students have mid 20s MCAT or lower.

I sort of disagree with this, although I don't know the exact numbers. Perhaps half DO applicants have mid 20 MCATs or less, but I'd imagine most matriculants have 26+ MCATs. I don't know this for sure, just a guess.

I sort of disagree with this, although I don't know the exact numbers. Perhaps half DO applicants have mid 20 MCATs or less, but I'd imagine most matriculants have 26+ MCATs. I don't know this for sure, just a guess.

Agreed. Isnt it like 3.4 gpa 26 mcat?

Valid data, but Median is not useful when looking at what it takes to get in.

Mean is 26.51, SD is 3.16.

Almost all accepted candidates thus fall in the 23-30 range. Even then, a 23 is becoming harder to even get interviews, and the bottom of the range is slowly moving up.

By the technicality of the integer, a 23 is actually below one sigma of the mean.

Yeah, one last repetition, this data is old. My school is closer to a 27-28 now. As for the D.O. hating, if it makes you feel better about yourself go for it. But remember, youll probably be working with one at some point or another.

Yeah, one last repetition, this data is old. My school is closer to a 27-28 now. As for the D.O. hating, if it makes you feel better about yourself go for it. But remember, youll probably be working with one at some point or another.
not sure they were dogging on DOs. at least not in the more recent posts.