osteopathic Rads programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecf1975do

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there i am a 3rd year DO student and I have a few questions that I would appreciate input on. Does anyone know anything about DO radiology programs ? are they any good? what about when you graduate from one of them, are you just as marketable as an allopathic grad of radiology? how competitive are these programs? i know rads is very difficult to get into for the allo match. what are they looking for? any news on the program on the bronx??? do i have to do research for a DO spot??

any input is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked with many DO radiologists who are quite good. I have met only one who was a BAD doctor; and he was board certified in both Family Practice and Radiology (Osteopathic Boards). I was told that the competition is less intense than allopathic programs. The best DO training I was told, is at Michigan State where students at the school of medicine and the osteopathic school and the MD and DO residents train side by side. Michigan State is however, not a particularly strong program.
Being certified by the DO board is considered equivalent to MD board. There maybe however, dinasaurs on hospital executive committees or medical staff who are unwilling to grant privileges to osteopaths. But this view is now in the minority.
There are many oustanding DO radiologists in academic programs like Wade Wong, DO, a neuroradiologist at UCSD.

Michigan State does not have any DO radiology residencies. They did have one in the past but no longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Jim Picotte
Michigan State does not have any DO radiology residencies. They did have one in the past but no longer.

I knew some guys who finished DO residency there in 2000. must have been quite recent. What did they do with the upper level residents in the DO program? Do you know why it was terminated?

I've heard rumors on why but not enough solid facts to post on this board. I heard that they were trying to get it up and running again though. No idea on where the other residents went to.