Osteopathic physicians almost killed me....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dunno next to the sacramento kings, the raiders are the most evil franchise in sports. not so much the players, but the fans. Have you seen actual raider fans. Webster's has a picture of them under the listing for 'thug' and the king's fans? please nothing is more annoying than a roomfull of kings fans. (i went to school in the area).

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by save10
I dunno next to the sacramento kings, the raiders are the most evil franchise in sports. not so much the players, but the fans. Have you seen actual raider fans. Webster's has a picture of them under the listing for 'thug' and the king's fans? please nothing is more annoying than a roomfull of kings fans. (i went to school in the area).

Speaking of them scary Raiders fans, did you see what happened in Oakland the night after the game?? Geez! I don't want to know what's going to go down this Sunday after the game, because win or lose, those crazies are going to do some damage. Good thing I'll be safe across the bay...

I think the general consensus about raider fans is mostly myth, but some truth. Oakland raider fans used to be some of the best in sports, then they went to LA. There they picked up the whole thug mentality. They brought it back to oakland with them. I think you will find the same problems in many other cities (New Orleans, Cleveland, Philly, to name a few) as you do in oakland. And just for the record, we've never endangered the safety of the players or the referees as some other NFL team fans have. You have to understand that stupid drunk people are going to do stupid drunk things when they are STUPID AND DRUNK! That is what happened in Oakland on Sunday night. The same thing happens in a lot of towns. I think LA has a riot whenever the lakers win or lose a playoff series. Most of us are responsible, but very vociferous and loud, fans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you've ever been to a sold out Raider game (Monday night football for me) to see for yourself, you can't blame the fans for the hype that the media likes to get out of such a "ruthless" group of people but I know grandmas that go to games so the media just likes to run it all up.

I think EMC2 has a right to give us his/her view on the situation.

However, I was in a similar situation a few years ago but with ALLOPATHIC physicians. I had to DEMAND to be admitted into Duke hospital after my Duke physicians told me that all I had was a bad cold(I was back and forth to the doctors 2 weeks prior). I had pnuemonia (bilateral) and was hospitalized for 2 weeks. I'm here to tell this story because of my persistence so the lesson is be your advocate in health care situations whether you have a DO or an MD!

EMC2,

Dude, I know you got screwed (negligence or just bad luck) but I really don't think the attendings or other docs involved are incompetent. This illness was a cluster @!!#. You do have the right to have your case looked at by a hopefully neutral third party. In the meantime, you seem to be getting more angry and that can't be good for your health.

Furthermore, you have to admit you haven't liked TCOM for a long time and would have posted the same things about the school whether or not your illness got wacked.

It probably would have been prudent to lay off the names of the docs involved. Your name hasn't been posted on this thread.

I have run into many TCOM graduates recently in the setting of MD's and by no means is their competency any less than their peers.

I figured it out, not all D.O.'s are frauds. I counted the number of times I visited the school's docs and was diagnosed incorrectly, it comes out to about 2/5 D.O. 's actually know what they're doing.

Last years entire 3rd and 4th year classes know it, as well as lots of docs in the Fort Worth area. I pretty much told everyone that asked me the entire story. They all asked me about getting a lawyer. It's kind of hard to hide a 45 pound weight loss. I figure if this story keeps just one person from going through an ordeal like mine then it's worth it.

I was supposed to spend a month out of the US on a rotation. One of the docs said go ahead and go. Can you imagine how many people would have been exposed to my active TB during a 6+ hour flight. Glad someone was smart enough to question their diagnosis.

I currently hold the record for the 2nd worst TB case at the tarrant county health dept. I could never figure out why everyone always knew my name. I thought maybe cuz I'm in med school. So I asked a nurse one day, she said because of the way I looked the first time I came into the clinic.

As for not liking the school. Duh. I should have declined the offer. Just compare the Comlex to the USMLE. Perfect example of how the 2 differ. One looks like it was written by "6th graders" (quote from class of 2002 student post comlex2) the other is very well written and a pleasure to take. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever go to another DO for a medical problem. Being at deaths door once was enough, thanks. Everyone sees things differently after a few days in ICU.

Your loss.

on an unrelated topic: stress reliever-

+pissed+

smashie smashie :D ahhh feelin better

I think one thing that happens with med and pre-med students is that stories of medical mistakes make us very nervous. We'd really prefer for there to be some fault on the part of the patient, some rarity to mistakes, something to let us believe it won't ever happen to us.

But mistakes do happen, and they are devastating to the patient, especially when they have lasting effects.

I spend some time on a hysterectomy support bulletin board, and the "Road Less Traveled" forum (for patients with ongoing problems) is chock full of women who were healthier before their surgery than after, women with nerve damage, bowel resections, intersitial cystitis (which doesn't sound like a big deal unless it's YOUR bladder that hurts like that) continued pain, etc. Many of them had or still have trouble getting their doctors to believe they are in pain and treat them. Some will be in pain management for the rest of their lives. In general, these are strong women and they gradually pick up the pieces and move on. But their bodies and their lives are never the same.

To expect someone who has been through something like this to reach a feeling of equanimity quite quickly, to be fair to the medical profession or to osteopaths in general, and generally to be "mature" about the whole thing is not realistic. It takes a long time to come to grips with a total change in your health that hindsight tells you could have been easily avoided.

Sure, emc2 should probably not have posted his doctors' names on a public bulletin board, and sure, he is probably condemning the whole pack of osteopaths unfairly, and sure, he is crabby and angry and bitter and you might wish to take his opinions about his school with a grain of salt. And sure, I'd like to believe that my own reaction to such a disaster would be mature, sober, and admirable. But I'm not so sure.

Your story is truly amazing! Wow! But I got a better one for you. From one of the best Children's hospitals in the Nation. My son was febrile at 104 degrees, had a cough, and was in distress for 2 days straight. I assumed it was the flu or something viral because My wife and I had been sick. My wife becomes concerned and I take him to the local hospital. After the 8 hour wait, we get the diagnosis of something viral and he is given fluids because he is dehydrated. CXR is clear, no community acquired pneumo. We go home. He runs a fever another day and nothing changes. I call his doc who tells me to take him to the local Children's Hospital in town (one of the top 5 in the Nation). We do that. After our 12 hour wait, we finally see the ER doc who is a 3rd year allopathic student. She was funny and that is all I will say about her. After she left, the attending (the big cheese) comes in. She is a 40 ish female that is spitting out medical terms like she is talking chinese. She goes on to explain to me how fever works, why my son is running a fever, etc... After that, she tells me my son may have Kawasaki's Dx due to the rash on his face and the strawberry appearance of his tongue. So she states she sees this maybe 2-3 times a year and calls the 3rd year to go get her Harrison's. She brings in her Harrison's and goes on to inform my wife and I the clinical signs and symptoms, as well as telling us that our son could suffer these bad things. She literally scared the crap out of my wife. She ran numerous tests and told us to watch for any change. She expected the change. So we go home. My wife gets so freaked because this allopath has scared the crap out of us, poked and prodded my son, and more. Needless to say, we finally go back to the hospital because my wife sees every clinical sign of kawasaki's dx in my son. The ER resident on call then takes the H&P again, this is like the 5th time it was given, and he decides that it might be the flu. To make a long story short, it was the flu. --> So Allopaths make wrong diagnoses too!!!

OK, so she didn't almost kill him, but she still was bad!!!!
Hey, but she had her Harrison's.

Emc2, I have a question for you. I'm trying to get down to your real contempt with osteopathic medicine. If you had to name where Osteopathic physicians fail the system (since that is your opinion), where would it be? School's program, residency training or what? I don't have a problem with osteopathic medicine. So I'm just curious as to where exactly people who hate it stand. THANKS

Hmmmmm.....4th Year....huh. Yea, and I just finished my fellowship in Neurosu.

Woah woah woah. I think a number of people need to calm down a bit.

1. Yeah, doctors (of all stripes) make mistakes. Sometimes they even make mistakes that they shouldn't. But to pin that on a whole group of people? That's just dumb. (And that goes for DO students bashing MDs for whatever reason as well.)

2. Not all MDs look down on DOs. I think some DOs need to be a little more self confident and chill out. I'm a future MD, and I don't look down on DOs. In fact, my doctor (as in, the guy I go to when I get sick) is a DO. I trust him with my life.

3. Lastly, I heard someone mention something about future DOs bowing down to future MDs and licking their boots. I'm going to start allopathic med school in Aug, so if any of you osteo folks want to lick my boots, drop me a line, I'll set up an appointment. :D And that goes double for the lady osteo's. (OOH LA LA!)

-Naphtali