Osteopathic internship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind that I post in this forum instead of the osteopathic forum but it is my belief that you guys might be able to answer my question with better knowledge (not implying that the osteopathic forum can not answer this question)

I am interested in primary care, either Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or maybe Med-Peds.

Given the lack of osteopathic residencies, there is a chance that I might end up doing an allopathic residency. Which brings my question

If I do an allopathic residency in medicine, pediatrics, or med-peds, how hard will it be to get the AOA to accept PG-1 as an AOA-approved internship, thus allowing me to practice in the 5 states that requires the internship?

I know for osteopathic residencies there are the fast track internship geared towards the specialty. Just curious how hard/critical the AOA is about granting an allopathic PG-1 as an AOA-approved internship.

Thanks in advance
Group_theory
PCOM Class of 2007
(hehe, worrying about a problem four years in advance)
:)

Happy New Year everyone

Members don't see this ad.

First & foremost, R - E - L - A - X!! Remember, you are dealing with the AOA and they will change, probably SEVERAL times before this is an actual impending concern of yours. However, you are smart in that you are working to learn the intricacies of residency stuff early...it is a rather complex system and your having the ability to do either an AOA or an ACGME post-grad program makes the decision even more complex (I know cause I am about to grad from KCOM & faced the same issues).

Second, I was in Vegas for the AOA Conf last Oct. You do realize that the AOA has, in place, a mechanism to have your ACGME intern year approved? To date, from I have heard from others ahead of me, the AOA has been very stingy about giving out those approvals. However, the 'buzz' in Vegas is that the AOA has realized that their past policies may have been part of the reason so many DO-graduates are selecting ACGME post-grad and are now planning to be much more open-minded regarding approving ACGME intern years...they are also undertaking an aggressive course of dually accrediting programs so that this becomes less of an issue for DO-grads.

Now, will this actually happen? I dunno -- remember, we're referring to the AOA. When Dr. Oliveri was Pres of the AOA, my first year of med school, they were allegedly gonna start opening up this process and be dually accrediting a load of programs then too. But, it was apparently derailed by the next Pres who decided the solution was not in opening up the approval policy or in dually acrediting programs but through the founding of shiny, new AOA programs. Which, the results of this latter policy have yet to be seen/appreciated, in my humble opinion.

We shall all see what we see!

Thanks old man

Actually, I'm not really that concern about the internship year now. I was just curious one night and decided to look up the issue.

Just curious - is it possible to finish a MD residency/fellowship, and then go back and do a osteopathic internship to fulfill requirements (like someone practicing in California and then wants to practice in Florida or PA or WV)?

In one of the ED that I was in, there was an attending who was also an intern at another hospital in Delaware (don't know the exact circumstances behind why he was doing this). Anyway, everyone called him the "attending intern" - in a cordial friendly kind of way :)

Originally posted by group_theory
Just curious - is it possible to finish a MD residency/fellowship, and then go back and do a osteopathic internship to fulfill requirements (like someone practicing in California and then wants to practice in Florida or PA or WV)?

Yes. But I cannot comprehend the scenario that would make anyone WANT to do this. Remember the main reason for having these rotating internships is to have cheap, in-house labor (in my honest opinion) for a year. After finishing a residency, who would honestly want to do that (without severe extenuating circumstances).

I have heard of cases where D.O.'s who do allopathic residencies petition for licensure in these five states and are approved (especially if you do a fairly prominent residency). So, the way I am approaching it is to think about where I want to train FIRST, and then think about where I want to practice AFTER.

Hope this helps.

Patrick
OSU-COM